Stainless steel brake lines

th_01

HI all

I'm see that there are lots of excellent engineers and mechanics on the list. I'm am making a set of stainless brake lines for a modified Guzzi project. I using Earl's brake parts and I'm having a hell of time :homer: getting these brake lines to seal. Has anyone made these before? Is there a trick to doing this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Tom

HI all

I'm see that there are lots of excellent engineers and mechanics on the list. I'm am making a set of stainless brake lines for a modified Guzzi project.  I using Earl's brake parts and I'm having a hell of time :homer: getting these brake lines to seal.  Has anyone made these before?  Is there a trick to doing this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Tom

48552[/snapback]

Tom,

I just made a clutch line using Earls stainless steel lines and ends (stainless hose with a plastic covering). I have not had any leaks but the clutch system does not see the high pressures like the brake system.

First you need to make sure the end of the hose is square, then file or grind the corner that was just cut to take the burr off of the stainless steel wires. Apply a little lubricant to the inside of the hex and then force the hex fitting (only the hex part of the fitting) onto the hose. I think I put the hex part into a vice (use vice jaws to protect the hex) so I could push and rotate the hose to get it through the hex. Once the hex is on the hose, mark the location with a permanent marker then (have about 1/8 inch of hose coming out the hex) you need to install the inner compression fitting. This goes between the steel braid and inner teflon tube. Next the fitting is installed, the inner nipple goes into the teflon inner tube. This is the hard part. While putting pressure on the fitting end toward the hose, turn the hex nut to start the threads. The hex nut should pull the compression fitting and inner fitting in toward the hose for a compleat seal. Check the pen mark on the hose, it should not of moved more than 1/16 of an inch. I don't know the torque of the hex fitting. I guess just tight :huh2: .

Hopefully this helps you out,

MIke

Only thing I can think of to help that Mike has not covered is be careful when cutting the lines. I always wrapped electrical tape tightly around the end and then cut it with a fine tooth hacksaw or a air cut-off wheel. Helps to keep the steel from fraying.

Emry's right. My best results cutting these lines is to tape them and use a Dremel cut off wheel. Blow any dust from the line before assembling it too!

48706[/snapback]

Thanks

I will be trying to assembly these in the next few days. :P:

Tom