Hot & Cold Garage Question

Bill Hagan

This seems more suited to 24/7 than tech topics so I put it here. Ran search before I asked, and saw nothing, so here goes.

Building garage. Not worth the reasons here, but a design issue has arisen on the original plan to have HVAC installed.

Am tempted to avoid the whole problem and forego heating and cooling. Atlanta can be pretty darn hot and humid in summer and occasionally cold in winter, but most of year is mild. See http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandg...tml?locid=30307

The structure will be well insulated and ventilated. Am mindful of humidity concerns for cars, m/c, tools, etc., but wonder if not the occasional use of space heating (oil radiator), dehumidifier, and fan, if necessary, might not be enough.

Want it to be comfortable to work in, too, as I have aspirations to become a (semi) wrench. :bike:

Bad news is I may have to decide tomorrow, so any immediate thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

404.808.8486 (24/7)

Am tempted to avoid the whole problem and forego heating and cooling.

The structure will be well insulated and ventilated.  Am mindful of humidity concerns for cars, m/c, tools, etc., but wonder if not the occasional use of space heating (oil radiator), dehumidifier, and fan, if necessary, might not be enough.

Want it to be comfortable to work in, too, as I have aspirations to become a (semi) wrench.  :bike:

48685[/snapback]

I always suggest that you have a 200 amp service so you can have welders if you want. Resale is better also. This also allows the use of a good 220v electric space heater. The 220v is more efficient and electric is quick. Oil radiator heaters are great too. If you use your electric heater to bring the shop up to temperature and the oil radiator to maintain temperature you will find it reasonably cost effective and you will have heat quickly when you want it. If you use 110v electric heaters the cost is much more. I am not familiar with the cost of dehumidifiers but if the shop is well insulated and you do use your heaters I don't expect you would have much problem.

Good luck to you. A shop is a man's best friend, I say!

Guest Nogbad

Go for the air-con. Not only will it be better for your bikes and more pleasant to work in, but you can also escape from the wife for long periods too.

I live in SE Va. Similar weather to yours thanks to the Gulf Stream off shore.

My shop is well insulated. Good garage door too. A 10k BTU window air conditioner works very well. Gets the humidity down well too! A small kero heater in the winter makes it very cozy as well.

I do agree to get a couple 20 amp 220v ac outlets put in! I have three. One for the window AC, one for the big air compressor and one for my welder. Life is good when you can enjoy your shop all year!

Guest Chad Lewis

I have too agree, opt for the A/C. I find I usually regret the things I didn't do, far more than the things I did.

I'd go for the AC as well due to the humidity and mosquitoes. k

Thanks to all.

Told contractor this a.m. to put in the unit. Little concerned about (yet another) loss of work/storage space, but oh well.

The styrofoam idea was nifty but late for my purposes. I'd file it for future refs, but this experience has convinced me I will NEVER build a house from scratch, as a simple little garage has been a significant nervous-system challenge. Actually, I've become a type-B, laidback guy from my previous OC self. I would have self-destructed had I not gone mellow. :D

As for electrics, I had it wired for 220, too, and have numerous--almost too many!--waist-high outlets scattered through 420 SF of garage and loft storage area.

And, of course, as the crowning touch, last night, several of us (including a Harley rider) met for a special ceremony: put HD decal in the urinal. Yes, beer was involved. :bier:

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Bill

As for electrics, I had it wired for 220, too, and have numerous--almost too many!--waist-high outlets scattered through 420 SF of garage and loft storage area.

48808[/snapback]

There is never, never such a thing as too many outlets, or too many air chucks.

Sounds like things are moving well along. Do you need a MGNOC sticker to keep the Harley company?

Bah! Ya don't need lots of air chucks!

Just get one of those neat spring retractable hose reels for your air hose and mount it from the ceiling in the center of the shop. I have one with 40' of hose in it. Super convienient to use!

Just get one of those neat spring retractable hose reels for your air hose and mount it from the ceiling in the center of the shop. I have one with 40' of hose in it. Super convienient to use!

48848[/snapback]

Those are also nice.

48848[/snapback]

Rich, thanks for posting that air-line suggestion. Among the 10K other things I am thinking ... err ... OK, obsessing ... about is that issue. Given my limited space, your approach sounds like a winner.

Bill

I grew up in a family of seven children from three marriges so I learned from my Dad how to pack a station wagon (Olds Vista Cruise just like the one "That 70's show".) I spent five years on a submarine, almost a year of that sharing a bunk. (Don't ask, don't tell! :lol: Geez! You guys have dirty minds. With a crew of about 135 and just 110 bunks, the junior folks have to hot bunk until they earn some seniority. ) So I learned to pack efficiently and make the most of small spaces.

So my little 20' x 28' shop has two sewing stations, a welder, machine tools, wood working tools and a blast cabinet as well the compressor (60 gallon 6 hp vertical tank.), shelves for upholstery and a few work tables. And my bikes share the space. Oh yeah, My son has his own work bench in there too.

Little did I know that my lifetime of training was leading up to being able to run a business from a garage! :grin: