Here's your chance Al (NGC)

Guest Thundering Subash

Guest Thundering Subash

Just saw this browsing ebay, and thought of you, as you've spoken longingly of these bikes from time to time. Looks to be a very nice condition FJ. :P: If I had a few extra thousand lying around and it was closer to home I'd do some bidding myself. :huh2:

FJ 1200 on Ebay

:bier:

-Chris :bike:

:mg:

.... I guess you are saying the FJ is ugly?

Well, OK, it is all a matter of personal taste :huh2:

:D

But like many things, I will say that "in person" the FJ is much better than in photos, and the bike was fairly well received, even through today, as quite a nicely styled bike.

I ran across some photos of my black and gold '89 the other night, and thought... wow, that was a cool bike, exposed air-cooled engine, semi-faired, nice :bike:

It's funny that even with mid-80's technology, these bikes continue to be ridden and modified, and perform within a hair of some modern bikes.

Here is a link with photos and info on most of the later years:

http://www.importmc.com.au/bikes/fj1200/

http://www.fj1200.com/other_fjs.html

And here are some photos of the year I had :wub:

fj1200black.jpg

fj000049.jpg

FJMRS.jpg

50_3.jpg

H011.jpg

Mines a '86 like the one on E-bay. Except that it's not clean and tidy, Probably only needs a new battery, collector box, and a dam good service.

Mine has blue air scoops, makes it look better and me worry about its antecedance along with the paint spots inside the speedo glass. Ran it trouble free for 10 years. unfortunately over the last few very infrequently.

When it came to the choice of spending a bit on sorting it out or a lot on the Guzzi there was only one choice. Thou not based on economic reasoning.

They both share features that I like 1/2-3/4 fairings, showing off the air cooled engine, for the engine is the heart of the machine.

Even my knackered old FJ could hustle enough, for real road riding. Able to make up for it on the punch out of corners for what it would lose going in.

It made the transition from being the big bore sports blaster of a trim athletic young man to the fast wallowy arm chair of lardy bald middle age man. If you were unkind you'd say I grew into it.

I'm now feeling guilty and if there's an money left from the extension we're having built I might throw some of it at the FJ

Guest SDKFZ111
.... I guess you are saying the FJ is ugly?

Well, OK, it is all a matter of personal taste  :huh2:

:D

But like many things, I will say that "in person" the FJ is much better than in photos, and the bike was fairly well received, even through today, as quite a nicely styled bike.

I ran across some photos of my black and gold '89 the other night, and thought... wow, that was a cool bike, exposed air-cooled engine, semi-faired, nice  :bike:

It's funny that even with mid-80's technology, these bikes continue to be ridden and modified, and perform within a hair of some modern bikes.

Here is a link with photos and info on most of the later years:

http://www.importmc.com.au/bikes/fj1200/

I think that's rather a handsome machine,IMHO,but then again I ride a BMW R1150RS which you could say is not very handsome from any angle.

http://www.fj1200.com/other_fjs.html

And here are some photos of the year I had  :wub:

fj1200black.jpg

fj000049.jpg

FJMRS.jpg

50_3.jpg

H011.jpg

49070[/snapback]

One of my mates has a FJ which is close to 20 years old. He has only covered 25.000 km on it (15.000 miles) and it's still in mint condition. It's the white/champagne model he owns (I think it's the one with 16" front wheel but I'm not sure)

We swopped bikes one day and I must say that the difference between a 2002 Guzzi and a mid-Eighties Japanese sports bike like the Yam FJ is like salt and pepper.

First time I hit the corner I almost s..t my pants: The bike wouldn't turn! After a change of undies and a cup of coffe we found out that the tyre pressure was way below the recommended pressure and his bearings had gone south. After a little tinkering the bike went like a dream again.

To cut a long story short I like the FJ. It's one the Japanese bikes that will, if not go down in history, then at least be a bike to be remembered. In the same league you'll find bikes like the CB 500/750 Honda's, the Yam XS 650 and the XS 1100, the Kwaks 900/1000 and the 350/500/750 two strokers, the Suzuki GS series as well as the GT 380/550/750 tea kettles. Just my thoughts on the FJ.

Cheers

Søren