MGS-01 Wins at Mugello Supertwin

Guest goffredo

Guest goffredo

Ladies and gentlemen I have the pleasure to tell you the result of the first race of the Italian Supertwin Championship.

First, several minutes(!!!) ahead of Ducatis, Buell, Suzukis and BMWs one of the most beautiful sportbike ever, a red Moto Guzzi MGS-01, raced by the splendid Gianfranco Guareschi.

A toast to the winner!!

G.

(full race report live in the next hours - qualification session report and pictures already live on www.animaguzzista.com)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What-you thought a 1225cc 4-valve could't whip a 2-valve 900cc on a closed course? How did the MGS-01 get entered into a class of smaller displacement/lower powered bikes in the first place....I'd like to see the rulebook.

Also, what model Suzuki is entered into the race to have such a pitiful showing?

This weeked at Barbers the GSXR-1000 "mopped" up the field, obviously they are not racing that model in Italy! I still want to see the MGS-01 pitted against the smaller displacement Ducati 999"r", there would be no 10 second win IMHO. You take accolades where ya' can get 'em, I guess!

What team is it exactly ? Is Guisseppe Ghezzi managing it ? Is he still at Guzzi despite the fact that Piaggio doesn't want anymore sporty MG models? And if he is, can we the say it's an official MG racing team ???

jihem:)

Guest goffredo
What-you thought a 1225cc 4-valve could't whip a 2-valve 900cc on a closed course? 

Well, The fact that I expected that does not change the fact that I am happy about it!

How did the MGS-01 get entered into a class of smaller displacement/lower powered bikes in the first place....I'd like to see the rulebook. 

This year they changed the rules so to accomodate BMWs and Guzzis four valves twin. But four valves must keep their swift gear transmission and cannot weigth less than 190 kg, while there are no limitations for the other twins. Note that among the rivals there were also the NCR Ducati Millona and the Official Buell Team with professional rider Max Temporali...

Also, what model Suzuki is entered into the race to have such a pitiful showing? 

Two valves twin... I'd say we are talking about SV 650, my guess.

This weeked at Barbers the GSXR-1000 "mopped" up the field, obviously they are not racing that model in Italy!  I still want to see the MGS-01 pitted against the smaller displacement Ducati 999"r", there would be no 10 second win IMHO.

Surely not but it would be an interesting race nonetheless. Personally I enjoyed very much the MGS-01 passing several times the 999r in Albacete last year.

You take accolades where ya' can get 'em, I guess!

49567[/snapback]

Such is life, my friend. If I had my way, I'd pour kazillions of dollars in R&D until we have a new Guzzi v8 capable of 900 hp (in first gear!) but given the times...

Cheers,

G.

Guest goffredo
What team is it exactly ?

Moto Guzzi Dealer Claudio Guareschi of Parme, Italy. The bike, his personal bike, was raced by his second son Gianfranco. The first son Vittoriano is official Ducati GP tester.

Is Guisseppe Ghezzi managing it ?

Spelling: :rolleyes: G I U S E P P E.

He is a friend of Vittoriano and was of course at the race where he acted indeed as chief mechanic scrutinizing all the bike's settings for Gianfranco before the race.

Basically he tries to catch any opportunity to collect data for further R&D.

Is he still at Guzzi despite the fact that Piaggio doesn't want anymore sporty MG models?

Who do I have to credit for this nonsense??? Piaggio is EVENTUALLY jumped on board with serious, real managers with the first, urgent task to SAVE Moto Guzzi from oblivion and self disintegration. Contrary to the opinion of some previous Aprilia managers who feared internal competition between brands, there are no apriori position regarding new sporty Moto Guzzi Models. Of course, see what we have at the moment... And think HONESTLY about what is needed to do SERIOUS racing at top world level today... It is going to be a long way to go...

And Giuseppe is going to be part of it.

And if he is, can we the say it's an official MG racing team ???

Nope. Not at all. He was a private riding the bike his daddy regularly purchased, doing a race without any investment/support/sponsoring whatsoever from the factory. Official Moto Guzzi racing team ended in 1957 with the record figure of 3329 victories in 36 years. After that we had hundreds of cases of private teams doing amazing things (i.e. John Wittner victories in USA, Jacques Ifrah umbeliavable victories in France and many others) but NO appearances of any official racing team.

If you think it is about time we get one back, please join the queue!! :race::race:

Cheers,

G.

Spelling:  :rolleyes: G I U S E P P E.

soory ;-) G i u s e p p e. ok, i'll write it down 100 times and you'll have it on your desk by tomorrow morning :-)

Who do I have to credit for this nonsense??? Piaggio is EVENTUALLY jumped on board with serious, real managers with the first, urgent task to SAVE Moto Guzzi from oblivion and self disintegration.

well, so it was said at the MG dealers meeting in Barcelona, a few months ago. Don't shoot me, i wasn't there, but it has been "reported" to me that production will go down to fewer bikes a year and only tourism bikes, no more sport bikes: California and Breva with lotta leather bagages and that type of stuff ...this is why I was surprised to see the pics with G I U S E P P E, with MG tshirt, around a MGS01, a model known for not selling too well...

but, hey, I cheer this podium also :-)

What-you thought a 1225cc 4-valve could't whip a 2-valve 900cc on a closed course? 

I still want to see the MGS-01 pitted against the smaller displacement Ducati 999"r", there would be no 10 second win IMHO. You take accolades where ya' can get 'em, I guess!

49567[/snapback]

Would that be up against the aircooled version of the 999R? I believe that is a requirement of a class such as Supertwin but I am not certain.

I just found out that if I race in the local Battle of the Twins class that my competition will be everything from TL 1000's, Buell's, 996 Ducati's and RC 51's. Of course the track is quite small with lots of tight corners so I can see some guy with an SV 650 kicking ass.

Guest goffredo
  Don't shoot me, i wasn't there, but it has been "reported"  to me that production will go down to fewer  bikes a year and only tourism bikes

49601[/snapback]

No problemo. Apologies if I sounded rude.

I have been following closely Moto Guzzi history for more than ten years and I have been "reported" - it goes without saying, by "inside sources" - that Moto Guzzi...

has been bought by Ducati/BMW/KTM/Harley

is back to the races

has one/two/no less than four engine/s ready

will launch a new all rounder next spring

will launch a new superbike by year 1996/98/2000/etc etc...

is bankrupt

has moved production to Taiwan/USA/China/Somewhere near Milan

will stop the production of the old v twin

will do only the old v twin

Ok, enough from the trusted sources. Want to know what I got reported by official dealers?? :D:D:D:D:homer::homer:

G.

Moto Guareschi is the Mom & Pop shop in Parma where I bought my Tenni. Mom runs the office while dad is chief mechanic. The two sons help out when they aren't racing. They're really nice folks and treat me like a long lost relative whenever I show up.

Bravo Gianfranco!

I thought something was strange when I saw racing trophies in their shop...racing trophies from Japan! It turns out, Vittorio was ex factory Yamaha superbike racer & former team mate of Scott Russell.

From what I understand, Pop Guareschi has a hotline to the factory and regularly uses it to call them and lambaste the engineers over certain questionable designs :D

Nope. Not at all. He was a private riding the bike his daddy regularly purchased, doing a race without any investment/support/sponsoring whatsoever from the factory. Official Moto Guzzi racing team ended in 1957 with the record figure of 3329 victories in 36 years. After that we had hundreds of cases of private teams doing amazing things (i.e. John Wittner victories in USA, Jacques Ifrah umbeliavable victories in France and many others) but NO appearances of any official racing team.

If you think it is about time we get one back, please join the queue!! :race:  :race:

Cheers,

G.

49592[/snapback]

I believe the only exception to be in 2002 when Ashley Law rode a Le Mans Tenni at the IOM TT- this was an official factory entry if my memory serves me correct.

Great to see an MGS01 kicking ass on the track! :thumbsup:

Guy :helmet: