Sunday morning ride

richard100t

I must admit part of the reason I bought the Guzzi was the(relatively) lower performance. I hadnt had a bike in about 9 years & I wanted a Hayabusa. I've never been afraid of heights or speed, but I knew lack of riding experience would get me killed with a bike like that. If the bike will do 200mph I know I'd have to try it! So I went with cool styling, durability, & resale value with the Mandello. Although to be honest the longer I own it the less likely I think I am to sell it. When I work on it & tinker around with it....the thing is so well made. Well no need to preach to the converted :D Maybe next year if the stock market rolls my way I'll have both. Maybe if Guzzi would get off their asses I could get one of those mgs01 series they were supposed to build. I should have paid better attention in school because I just want waaay to many toys lol.

yes,...for y'all speed curious out there, trust me, and try a track day...

that speedo reading stuff is relative, on the track everyone is going fast and

you don't feel you are at all (relatively of course)... on long straights you start

getting passed, and you are going all out on 6th, and you say to yourself; hey what's wrong w/this thing? :angry: then you look down and your speedo needle has no more room left! yep, all out and doesn't feel that fast (anymore), at a track

that is. I try that on a back road last year,...let's say i won't do that again :lol:

then you try your buddie's Gixxer, and you don't have to worry about running

out of juice, now, you have to worry about slowing down on time... :grin:

(i'm still saving for a track bike) :helmet:

Guest TheFaz

I did 155mph(indicated, probably closer to 140) on my FJ1200 some years back, on Hwy 50(The Lonliest Road on Earth) across Nevada.... but don't think I'll ever do that again. We also covered 80 miles in 40 minutes, down a mountain, across the valley, and back up the mountain. You do the math on "average" speed :wacko:

I've been on that road a few times, and each time I try and go faster. My last trip was in a cage (BMW) and I was cruising at 130 for stretches of a mile or more at a time.

You don't really feel it because there's not much around to use as a referrence except for the road signs that say "such-and-such: 1 mile", then suddenly, there is such-and-such"! I've crossed it on my Bassa a couple of times, and will again next month. I can usually hold it at 100 (indicated) with no problem at all. What few turns there are are usually pretty wide and you just have to drop to around 90 to take them. At one point I was cranking it to an indicated 125 until I saw a set of lights behind me. I immediately backed off only to see the lights closing in REAL fast...It was a Goldwing which flew past me at what seemed like 200 mph, LOL! I later caught up with him in the town of Austin and he said he was doing about 145 when he passed me. He knew the road well and knew there were no patrols on that stretch at that particular time. Good guy to ride with (or behind), used him as my "rabbit" for the next 100 miles! :race: