Considering a V11 Le Mans Corsa -- some questions

Guest radiowazee

Guest radiowazee

Hey all --

Never owned a guzzi and I'm considering a V11 Le Mans Nero/Rossa Corsa ... I posted a similar thread over at wildguzzi and they told me about V11lemans.com -- how awesome!

I'm interested to hear about bike quality -- mechanical and otherwise.

Also, I intend to do 150+ mile rides through the Rocky Mountains outside of Denver Colorado -- some tight twisties, but more "sweeping long twisties" and highway driving.

Will do about 75% solo, 25% 2-up. I'm 6 foot 1 and weigh about 230. My wife's about 5-7 and 120.

I've owned A Harley (Softail classic) and a couple of Beemers (r1100rt and r1100gs).

I love the look and design of the Guzzi ... I am interested in any/all feedback you may have for me as I consider making my first Italian bike purchase.

I am also considering the Ducati ST4 line -- although I am leaning heavily toward the V11.

Let me know it all!!! :) Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Howard

PS. Here's my post from wildguzzi ... lots of responses there: http://wildguzzi.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2257

Guest radiowazee

Some specific questions I have ...

- Tell me about this clutch spring problem ... is this a must fix repair I should consider my dealer fixing before I roll out of the place? (I'm referring to the tech. bulletin that calls for a smaller/narrower shift bar).

- Are there any differences betw. the 2003 and 2004 model Le Mans?

- Clutch cables -- do they break more often on these bikes than others????

Hi Howard, and welcome. Based on your self-assesment, a Guzzi would be a fine bike for you.

I'm interested to hear about bike quality -- mechanical and otherwise.

I am biased, but I think build and bike quality is pretty high with the exception of a few bikes generally, and a few specific points on most bikes. Relays aren't an issue anymore, that's something that used to come up frequently. So is 'tank suck'. Grounding (earth) always has been an issue with Guzzi's. The charging system is somewhat limited, so you have to make the most of it.

The factory workers are apparently allergic to grease, so when (if) you get one, make sure your dealer greases the rear splines on the drive.

Rare issues that have come up are the wheel spacers being incorrect length (a couple of these recently :huh2: ), single plate clutch grenading, and brake warpage. Like I said- rare issues.

Also, I intend to do 150+ mile rides through the Rocky Mountains outside of Denver Colorado -- some tight twisties, but more "sweeping long twisties" and highway driving.

Perfect.

Will do about 75% solo, 25% 2-up. I'm 6 foot 1 and weigh about 230. My wife's about 5-7 and 120.

You're wife will be 25% uncomfortable. Mine can ride on the back of my bike for 2-3 hours then she's had enough. Other people are perfectly fine with the pillion seat. Kind of depends on your wife, I guess. Rich Maund rebuilds these seats and does a swell job.

I've owned A Harley (Softail classic) and a couple of Beemers (r1100rt and r1100gs).

The Guzzi is a more aggessive riding position than either, and I'll wager the pillion seat is less comfortable than either.

I am also considering the Ducati ST4 line -- although I am leaning heavily toward the V11.

Take them both out for a test ride and let your heart decide. One of them should! :wub:

Clutch cables - there isn't one. The 6-speed has a hydraulic clutch (that works pretty darn well)

Also, the spring will be a non-issue. If you do get a bike within the recall range, then just have it fixed. I bought an extra spring for mine (which has never broken, by the way) just to ensure that it never will break as long as I carry the spare. Besides, I think this was an issue with a relatively small number of bikes.

... see the Ballabio question thread in this forum, a few lines down for similar questions.

Also see this thread:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...ST;f=28;t=31169

Not that the 00-02 bikes are "bad" in any sense, but I will say that any 03+ bike seems to be quite well sorted, and the QA and fit/finish from the factory seems to be a bit better than the earlier years.

So I'd say that any Rosso/Nero Corsa is going to be an excellent bike straight out of the crate.

:bike:

al

Some specific questions I have ...

- Tell me about this clutch spring problem ... is this a must fix repair I should consider my dealer fixing before I roll out of the place?  (I'm referring to the tech. bulletin that calls for a smaller/narrower shift bar).

50258[/snapback]

For the 03(mostly) and the 04 bikes, we have not seen the shift return spring to be a problem. I think that since Moto Guzzi builds their bikes from big parts bins, every so often one of the older side-plate/shift-pawl mechanisms with the oversized spring boss may make it into a newer bike, but I've only heard of maybe one 03(true 03, not 03 V11 Naked 02 spec) and no 04 bikes exhibiting this problem. So I wouldn't worry about it.

- Are there any differences betw. the 2003 and 2004 model Le Mans?

No. There may be some minor ones, but none that I can think of off-hand.

- Clutch cables -- do they break more often on these bikes than others????

The clutch is hydraulic, so not "clutch cable" problems per se.

Now, the speedo cables have been problematic on all models for some owners, but this typically is due to poor cable routing from the factory. If one has repeated speedo cable issues, usually re-routing the cable such that it is stress free and has gentle bends, fixes the issue.

With regards to comparing this bike to an ST4, that's a hard comparison. The ST4 has basically Ducati's 4V superbike engine in it, and that's quite a different beast than the 2V lump in the Guzzi. I think a closer comparison, but still advantage to Ducati, would be the ST2.

The ST4 will probably outhandle?? and certainly "outperform" the Guzzi, but the Guzzi is plenty of bike for the street, and doesn't fall too short of the Ducati in many respects. The MG's main quality beyond "competent" performance, is its soul. You'll either love it or hate it. It is definitely a different character, and that is generally what is most endearing to most owners.

So again, a direct comparison to a BMW, Ducati, etc... is hard. But a test ride will probably answer all those questions for you. You'll know :D

Hope that answers your questions.

Good luck!

al

A test ride between a Sprint ST and the Guzzi was all I needed to decide, the rest is history and haven't looked back. Only to the future of more bikes Maybe Guzzi the new Breva1100 has hard bags :P: I don't care what ppl say the Breva in all black looks nice, red and gray don't look as good to me but I saw an all black one, num :food:

I may have a decent perspective, since I own a BMW RT as my second bike:

As a mechanical device, the Guzzi has gotten an unfounded, terrible rap for being unreliable. On the contrary, I've found the guzzi to be much more solid than most other bikes I've owned. It really is an industrial motor that's been around in some incarnation for 4 decades. They've got the basics sorted. Most of them need some bedding in care, but once done, you just add gas, change the oil whenever the hell you want and ride the hell out of it........after all, it's a Guzzi! :bike:

As a ride , it's totally addictive. High RPM horsepower seems to be the holy grail for sportbikes these days, but I've yet to see the rider able to corral that HP on the street. In many ways, the Guzzi gives the street rider precisely what he needs; relatively low rpm/high HP and quality torque............and that sound. Sweepers? thy antidote is named "V11" :) Especially if you're looking at an Ohlins-equipped model. Once you spin one of these motors, it's hard to ride anything else.

Tour with your wife? Forget it. You mentioned some tiny mileages (50-75 miles per day) , so you could do that on a moped 2-up. But you'll hear all sorts of stuff about making the LeMans 2-up friendly with a custom seat et al. Don't believe it. The Guzzi is a one man vehicle and I'd like to see the pillion who'd agree to real 'touring'

(let's say 300-500 miles a day for a few weeks or so), without being a really giving spouse. Don't subject your wife to it. DO SUBJECT YOURSELF TO IT . :D In defense, I don't think the ST4 will be much friendlier. I found that bike too crouched and too hot in the summer. Personally, I enjoy bikes where you can see the motor.

I bought my RT only because I wanted to extend my riding season; there's plenty to be said for full lowers and heated grips when the temperature slides below 60 F. For a passenger, it can't be beat. But tell me that the next 2 weeks will be sunny and in the 70's, and I'll pick my Scura to tour alone everytime against the RT. It's just so much more fun. I've got the Rich Maund seat and MPH bar risers and have done many 300-500 mile days in a row with absolutely no pain and looking forward to each wonderful day of my tour. And I'm a big guy: 6'2" and 245 lbs. (gettin' older too, so comfort matters) :bbblll:

I've found that the HB bags and most of the other aftermarket stuff just KILLS the look/line of the V11. Although giving tremendous carrying capacity, the rack and bags are just Fugly, IMO. I've opted for a Ventura system, which is a lot like the T-bag system. It also takes something away from the look, but not a lot, and you can use it 2-up as well, if you like. Generally when I tour, less is more with me. If I can fill both saddlebags of my BMW for example, I'm generally taking too much shit with me...............a karma killer :grin:

I got plenty more opinions.........heh......... :P But that seems enough for now.

Go ride one. Just about everyone that does tends to GET one.

Dan

High RPM horsepower seems to be the holy grail for sportbikes these days, but I've yet to see the rider able to corral that HP on the street.  In many ways, the Guzzi gives the street rider precisely what he needs; relatively high/low rpm HP and quality torque............and that sound.

50320[/snapback]

I read an Article now it was on the Ducati GP bike or the M1 rossi rides I can't remember but Basically they dropped the HP and added more torque and everyone thought the bike was faster even tho it was in fact Slower with more power where it was needed. HP is just a Buzz word they should come up with a new way to rate Seat of the Pants experience. Thats what I look for. :bike:

Guest whart

FWIW, i got my first guzzi, a nero corsa, last week, and am absolutely in love with the bike. I have had a Ducati 750 Monster and a tricked out V-Rod (air suspension, brembos, etc.) and the guzzi was a perfect compromise between sportsbike type handling and the comfort of a larger cruiser. A friend just got rid of a BMW (forgot the model, but one of the bigger sport cruisers) for the ST4 with ABS, and says he misses the overall quality of the BMW- i have nothing against Ducati, believe me, but that bike still seems a little extreme for a "tourer." At the same time, I have yet to experience any problem with the Ducati, despite the reputation for Italian mechanical reliability. The Nero Corsa seems to be extremely well put together, the only foible i am literally coming to grips with is handle bar vibration, which i understand is a trait, but curable. Let us know what you do.

Guest aironepony

My Rosso Corsa is coming up to it's first Birthday. No problems, other than a tyre (tire) valve failure.

I can easily do a 200+ mile trip and feel quite OK on arrival. The riding position suits me, and the "grunt" from the motor is wonderful.

In short the "grin factor" hasn't faded; I like my Rosso!

.................... :thumbsup:

I read an Article now it was on the Ducati GP bike or the M1 rossi rides I can't remember but Basically they dropped the HP and added more torque and everyone thought the bike was faster even tho it was in fact Slower with more power where it was needed.

i read that too. It actually was about a detuned yamaha R6, less HP but more torque and yes, everyone thought it was faster.

jihem:)