Dyno results in

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

Well the results are in with K&N pods and Quat-d exhaust plus PC111. 75.3 hp and 56.5 torque. Not as good as you guys with airbox, Stucchi crossover and CF cans. Horsepower is a steady climb to redline and torque is pretty much full on from the get-go except a dip 4000-5000 and a surge at 5500-6500 with a drop off at 7000 rpm's. I'm going to leave the bike as is and not worry about getting more horsepower out of it because it does run good and if I want more power I think I'll just buy something that inherently has more power. So my advice is to stay with the normal conversions unless a Quat-d and pods turn you on.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get a Dyno reading before the modifications? Dyno results are best interpreted as a comparison because 75 hp on one may read as 78 hp on another. It would be interesting to see what gains were made.

I suggest using your PCIII to try and cure your dip at 4-5000.

Good work and enjoy!

Excellent! I am glad that you got more horse power out of it than I did. :bier:

I am suprised you got less torque.

Different dyno, different bike, but maybe it is the pods. :huh2:

Here is my run, dynotuned with serial PCIII, Quat-D and FBF open airbox kit.

I am sure one could get even better results with a USB PCIII tuned for individual cylinders.

Perhaps tomorrow we can take a photo of your chart to post it :D

My run is in blue, a generic V11S run is in red for a rough comparison.

No, I did not have the budget to dyno with the stock mufflers, but it would be useful to know.

DL_V11S-vs-StockV11S.jpg

Do I have this right, you have paid for a system that gives you LESS power than stock?May have read this wrong, starter motor shagged itelf, so I've been having "a few wee sensations" out the neck of a bottle since my weekend plans have been put on hold. But jeez, less power......? :huh2:

No, I did not have the budget to dyno with the stock mufflers, but it would be useful to know.

50822[/snapback]

Doug Lofgren shows an IMHO simple and effective method to estimate wether tuning makes sense or not. Just two WOT runs, one stock and one with the mods you preferably want to buy. He monitors AFR besides the torque. So if your bike shows less power and goes richer also, it makes no sense to invest in this configuration. That's how I have understood his articles.

Hubert

FWIW Mistrals and other free-er flowing mufflers also give you LESS power, at low RPMs where the dynometer does not show.

The Quat-D fills in the hole between 4 and 5000, which is about as valuable as the loss in peak power. Your mileage will vary.

Neither of our runs are absolute proof as we did not dyno before the Quat-D was on.

Many have put on the Mistral crossover and lost nearly 10 peak HP, while some like Japp have gained HP...go figure.

The big selling point for the Quat-D is what it does for the handling, the aesthetics, and opens up huge saddlebag options.

It is also more fun to drive a bike with a Quat-D.

I traded my Quat-D for a pair of Mistrals. Yah, I gained peak HP, but I would trade back in a heart beat because of what I lost, that can not be described by numbers on a graph.

:drink:

...and if the new Quat-D proves to have more power with the Cat removed, my Mistrals will be up for sale!

Hey Ben,

I just have to see V50Man's dyno results, see if I can pay what he paid, order a PCIII USB ( I have the serial one now, but I am convinced that the Quat-D is a prime candidate for individual cylinder tuning)

I have a pair of round carbon Mistrals, that MAY go up for sale.

They sound great, are pretty light and make excellent peak HP.

But the bike with the Mistrals is weaker in the low end, below 3000 rpms, which is where I am if I use sixth or even fifth gear putsing to work in the 45mph radar enforced 7 mile stretch.

So now I am using OE Scura mufflers.

Of course I wish I had more power everywhere, but the bike is still fast enough for my needs.

Guest slowpoke

No, I do not have an original equipment dyno because I bought the bike with the Quat-d and the pods already installed. I also did not purchase the original muffler set-up (don't even recall if it had the Stucchi crossover) with the bike to run seat of the pants comparisons. I don't really run a bike at or near redline anyway because it seems to hit that elusive wall of "no more usable power" and besides I am somewhat easy on motors. That doesn't mean that I baby the motor. When I bought the V11 I had just moved here from Hawai'i and had been riding an Indian Chief so I was somewhat ignorant of the fine points of a Moto Guzzi. ( I should have bought that used V11 at the Harley dealer in Honolulu instead of the Indian). But needless to say, I am quite pleased with the V11 in the configuration that it is and echoing DLaing's interpretation- maybe as far as driveability-that configuration is not so bad.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever put a v11 on a dyno without any pipes or air filters at all. Just to see what the performance was with the engine fully unrestricted. Another thing, I weighed my stock cf cans form my rosso mandello today & theyre 9lbs each. Has anyone weighed their aftermarket cans? If so what do they weigh? At only 9lbs each I cant see the mistrals being very much lighter than that.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever put a v11 on a dyno without any pipes or air filters at all. Just to see what the performance was with the engine fully unrestricted. Another thing, I weighed my stock cf cans form my rosso mandello today & theyre 9lbs each. Has anyone weighed their aftermarket cans? If so what do they weigh? At only 9lbs each I cant see the mistrals being very much lighter than that.

Hi Guys,

I normally just lurk, but I posted this over at guzzitech, so thought it might be of interest. 2002 V11 LeMans, K&N Open Airbox, Stucchi Crossover, FBF pipes Dyno Tuning performed at H.D. of Frederick, MD

82.37 hp / 67.18 ft-lbs torque

MKB-DynoV11Sport.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone has ever put a v11 on a dyno without any pipes or air filters at all. Just  to see what the performance was with the engine fully unrestricted. Another thing, I weighed my stock cf cans form my rosso mandello today & theyre 9lbs each. Has anyone weighed their aftermarket cans? If so what do they weigh? At only 9lbs each I cant see the mistrals being very much lighter than that.

50865[/snapback]

Bike magazine got 74 rwbhp out of a bog standard V11- of course to get a real comparison with a tweaked bike you need to test them back to back- I believe that there are examples of before and after comparisons on the Guzzitech website.

The alloy Mistrals are a hell of a lot lighter than the standard cans on my Rosso Corsa, but as you say the difference may not be as much with the carbon fibre cans.

Moto Corsa in Dorset have now got a V11 test bike with all the exhaust / intake mods including custom mapped PC111USB so riders of standard V11s can take it out for a spin and feel the difference.

They will then naturally get out their credit card because they will want their own bike to be as good.

Guy :helmet:

Dam Desdinova!

60 lbs of torque at 3500 RPM!

That is a smoking difference!

You must have gotten one of the better engines because I don't think the mods would give you a boost there. :)