What should my bike wear for track day?

jrt

I'd like to solicit your opinions-

I'm going to a track day late this month- the first I've ever been to.

As many of you know, I adapted a set of handlebars to my V11 sport (essentially turning it into a Ballabio). A description is given here. I also have a BMW R90S fairing on my bike. It's a great setup for longer distance riding.

Annnnyyway, I'm wondering- should I use the fairing at track day or not? Should I use clipons or the bars I have on now? I haven't decided, but I'm leaning toward leaving it alone (using bars)....

Pro-clipon argument: more aggressive stance, better front end traction

Pro-bar argument: more comfortable ride (I have to go to a wedding also- ~3-400 miles RT). Also, I will normally ride with the bars, so why not use them on the track, if that's what I'm going to be using on the street.

Pro-fairing argument: It reduces wind

Anti-fairing argument: It'll break if I crash

I'll definitely get a new rear tire- I 'hopped' around a corner today (woot). Interesting, but not altogether fun.

So...Thanks for suggestions and discuss amongst yourselves.....

Jason

Guest Bruce

Hey Jason good luck w/ the track day. I don't know what set up will be best but for the first go I'd be inclined to leave the bike as is and focus on my riding. Hope you have a good day out there, keep us posted.

...I'd be inclined to leave the bike as is and focus on my riding. ...

Me too. You'll be more familiar with the bike if it's the way you normally have it, & that'll help you relax & ride naturally. It'll be one less thing to distract you.

But re the points you make: You will get more windblast with high bars if you remove fairing & that will distract/slow you on the straight. You know the high bars w/fairing so I'd keep it. I prefer the feel of clip ons, gets you over the front & means less involuntary input into the steering. With clip ons fairing is unnecessary unless it's a very fast track. Depends how much work it is to change (= how much stress) & how comfortable/relaxed you would feel on the bike in whatever guise.

:thumbsup: There'll be faster & slower than you but ride your own pace.

:thumbsup: Start steady & never ride faster than you feel comfortable whatever anyone else is doing.

:thumbsup: Drink plenty fluid & watch the last sessions as people get tired.

Hope you have a great day. Let us know.

Good luck

KB:sun:

Jason

I left mine stock when I did my first track day at Laguna. I think I ran about 30-32psi in the tires though.

I agree with the above about stock.. I learned a lot about my limits and my V11's limits on the track, which were really valuable on the street. I think to change the bars/riding position on the track would make you lose some of the familiarity you gain when you take it back to the street.

KB makes really good points.

Cheers, Tim

....another thought...If your sidestand still has standard bumpstop you might want to cut it down by about half to gain cornering clearance. Be aware of the cut out switch too ...I just removed the stand altogether - you can lean the bike on a wall.

If you're attracted to the speedo it could save you some attention by taping over it, & lose mirrors too.

KB

Just don't crash.

But for insurance, pull the fairing(I miss mine, and yah it was too expensive to replace :( )

You might also pull the headlight.

I'd leave the bars for the sake of familiarity.

Try to get in some excercise this month :P

It will help you beat the fatigue...although the comment to sit out while others are fatigued might be a good one.

I'd bet most track day accidents are in the first lap and the last hour. (not that I have done a track day)

OH, and get some full sport tires. (treaded track tires)

You might also remove the sidestand, but you would need a stand in your pit.

EDIT yah what Baldini said, but I would bet that not all tracks have a proper wall.

Anti-fairing argument: It'll break if I crash

50863[/snapback]

It is good to have a little fear and be worried about breaking either yourself or your bike- that way you will ride that bit safer.

Aside from taping up my lights, mirrors and indicators, I ride my bike as is- including luggage rack and techno pannier frames.

Have fun!

Guy :helmet:

Jason,

I would leave the fairing on, you will need all the wind protection you can get with the higher bars.

You have been riding a long time, so I do not think you will misjudge any turns (this is where age comes into play, I have scared myself plenty of times when I was younger and now I know my limits).

Have fun, stay loose, breath in, breath out, be smooooooth.

Mike

Jason,

be smooooooth.

Mike

One of the most important things when riding!!!!

Great riders are SMOOTH that's the way to go.

Forget what others are doing, concentrate at a smooth safe ride.

:2c: Speed comes alone without any pushing.

The first Honda Goldwing to enter the state of Hawaii in 1974 was promptly used for club road racing. It sported both street bars AND clip-on's! Quite a sight.