"Loud Mufflers Are Just Annoying"

joe camarda

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the BDCs can't judge distance or speed for a small object ("bike") worth spit anyway, & certainly can't judge anything if they don't see you. The modulators work, by virtue of being visually (incredibly!) annoying...

Whats a BDC? Exactly,.... relying on just being seen only is shaky at best.

Annoying doesn't help judging distance and speed.

Well, it's been statistically proven to do so, so much so that the U.S. military requires it of their property^H^H^H^H^H^H personnel.

Statistics can be made to prove anything.

I can certainly agree that large blocks of color will be more effective than riding garb done up in a Splintern pattern, but hey, garish neon colors have visual impact regardless. Better something in Splintern neon than all black, all navy, or all grey, like some of the textile riding suits on the market...

No any block colour is going to be more visible than a splintern/ camouflage outfit.

Well, considering how many BDCs there are who can't seem to notice emergency vehicles coming up behind them with sirens & flashing lights, until the ambulance hits their "ooga" horn, I suspect that you're going to have to continue bemoaning how quiet motorcycles are these days, since the EPA ain't about to let us ride unmuffled, siren & klaxon-sounding motorcycles no matter how much safer that'd make us! :glare:

Exactly, so anything extra you can add has to help! ;)

EPA, whoever they might be, have no jurisdiction where I live, thankfully.

Well, you'd be a lot safer & less annoying to your neighbors if you'd buy yourself a shiny gold-lame jacket, good horn, and put a decent muffler back on your bike!

Done thirty years like this, ( touch wood ) without serious accident or prosecution. Never had any complaints from neighbours either.

Not saying "I'm right & you're wrong," no matter who true it might be, 'cause last I checked this is a free country. But I know people who if you rode past their houses regularly blasting away on a poorly muffled bike, you could expect to find sand or oil start showing up in the corners at the ends of their stretch of road! That sort of indiscriminate "discouragement" affects *everyone* who rides in the area, so think about the results of your actions, is all I'm saying...

:thumbsup:

51074[/snapback]

I am fortunate enough to live in a very motorcycle tolerant area.

Probably the most tolerant in the world, actually.

Nige. :sun:

Guest TheFaz

Ballacraine:

I noticed the symbol on your sig. What do you call that?

It is similar to the "Trinacria" symbol of Sicily, the three legs representing the three points of the Sicilian island.

Ballacraine:

I noticed the symbol on your sig. What do you call that?

It is similar to the "Trinacria" symbol of Sicily, the three legs representing the three points of the Sicilian island.

51116[/snapback]

It's the 3-legged symbol of the Isle of Man!

"No matter how it lands, it stands."

My favourite is the statistic that 90% of all drivers believe they are better drivers than 90% of all drivers!

How about having a flagman walk in front of your motorcycle to warn others of your imminent approach!

Military helicopters cannot land without crew members looking out the doors to tell the pilot where he is at. It has always amazed me that I've done without that service for over 20 years and not crashed yet!

Whats a BDC? Exactly,.... relying on just being seen only is shaky at best.

BDC = "Brain Dead Cager." They're the stoopid gits in the shiny metal boxes you're sharing the road with. You know, the ones that seem to remove their brains & set it on the seat beside them upon entering their vehicles... ;)

Annoying doesn't help judging distance and speed.

No, it doesn't. But since they basically *can't*, by making oneself noticeable, there's a better chance that they'll actually realize "I haven't got a friggin' clue how fast that thing is approaching, but it's close; I'd better wait til it passes..."

Yup. "Lies, damned lies, & statistics." That's why everyone should take a class in elementary stats so that they can at least tell when they're being lied to. :D

Nevertheless, when someone without a pre-determined agenda is doing the data collection & interpreting, they can be useful...

No any block colour is going to be more visible than a splintern/ camouflage outfit.

Really? So you're saying that a rider in a single color [o.k. "colour" ;) ] gray suit is more visible on an overcast day than someone in neon camo? Dream on!

:wacko:

Exactly, so anything extra you can add has to help!  ;)

What part of "loud environmental noise from behind not having any effect" and "only respond to sharp blasts of a horn" didn't register?

EPA, whoever they might be, have no jurisdiction where I live, thankfully.

Environmental Protection Agency. Yet another vitally necessary U.S. bureaucratic institution that outlived it's usefulness about 20 years ago, & now only exists to make everyone's lives just that little bit poorer & more stressful. They're the big dog that the tail of fruitcake environmentalists wags in order to make normal people miserable. There's probably some UK equivalent buried in the Interior Ministry or MOT or something. Unfortunately... :huh2:

Done thirty years like this, ( touch wood ) without serious accident or prosecution. Never had any complaints from neighbours either.

More power to ya!

I am fortunate enough to live in a very motorcycle tolerant area.

Probably the most tolerant in the world, actually.

Nige.  :sun:

51110[/snapback]

Yeah! So, you gonna post the daily reports of the TT this year? Riding your Guzzi in the event? Keep us posted! :helmet:

It's the 3-legged symbol of the Isle of Man! 

"No matter how it lands, it stands."

51118[/snapback]

A very good attempt there! I'm impressed. :)

It is called 'Triskillion.'

'Quoquonque Jeceris Stabit.' That is the Latin motto...Odd really, since the Romans never came here, but there you go.

'Whichever way you throw him, he stands.'

Nige. B)

BDC = "Brain Dead Cager." They're the stoopid gits in the shiny metal boxes you're sharing the road with. You know, the ones that seem to remove their brains & set it on the seat beside them upon entering their vehicles...

Thanks for that...Makes sense.

No, it doesn't. But since they basically *can't*, by making oneself noticeable, there's a better chance that they'll actually realize "I haven't got a friggin' clue how fast that thing is approaching, but it's close; I'd better wait til it passes..."

Highly optimistic! :grin:

Yup. "Lies, damned lies, & statistics." That's why everyone should take a class in elementary stats so that they can at least tell when they're being lied to.  :D

Nevertheless, when someone without a pre-determined agenda is doing the data collection & interpreting, they can be useful...

I don't believe any statistics are impartial. Results will be weighted to give the answer the people paying the wages want. Cynical.....Almost certainly. ;)

Really? So you're saying that a rider in a single color [o.k. "colour" ;) ] gray suit is more visible on an overcast day than someone in neon camo? Dream on!

:wacko:

Not necessarily. Obviously a brighter colour will be more visible...The point I was making is that the human eye & brain is geared up to shape recognition rather than colour.

What part of "loud environmental noise from behind not having any effect" and "only respond to sharp blasts of a horn" didn't register?

Well, I don't agree that 'loud' (however that is defined) environmental noise doesn't have any effect. The first clue you get that race bikes are coming is the noise, from whatever relative direction.

Environmental Protection Agency. Yet another vitally necessary U.S. bureaucratic institution that outlived it's usefulness about 20 years ago, & now only exists to make everyone's lives just that little bit poorer & more stressful. They're the big dog that the tail of fruitcake environmentalists wags in order to make normal people miserable. There's probably some UK equivalent buried in the Interior Ministry or MOT or something. Unfortunately...

There probably is some equivalent nefarious organisation in the UK.....We are fortunate that we have our own more benign government.

More power to ya!

Thanks, matey! I always try to keep an open mind on things...Trying most before I put forward an opinion.

Being a bit of a dinosaur though, I am slow to change. ;)

I have never been mainstream.

Yeah! So, you gonna post the daily reports of the TT this year? Riding your Guzzi in the event? Keep us posted!  :helmet:

51121[/snapback]

Well, TBH...I am going to be busy with marshaling and doing my own thing. The most up to date info will be on www.iomtt.com

Me? Race?....I have neither the skill nor bottle.

At least now I have the excuse of being an old git...

The older I get the faster I was! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

Nige. B)

Loud pipes/mufflers are annoying. :bbblll:

Modulated headlights are annoying. :bbblll:

Bright lights are annoying. :bbblll:

================

Just think what the roads would be like if EVERYONE (cars, trucks, m/c) did these things. :(

Best defense is good defensive riding. :D

Tim

Loud pipes/mufflers are annoying.  :bbblll:

Modulated headlights are annoying.  :bbblll:

Bright lights are annoying.  :bbblll:

================

Just think what the roads would be like if EVERYONE (cars, trucks, m/c) did these things.  :(

Best defense is good defensive riding.  :D

Tim

51158[/snapback]

Does this fella like anything??!! :lol:

Nige. ;)B)

Loud pipes/mufflers are annoying.  :bbblll:

Modulated headlights are annoying.  :bbblll:

Bright lights are annoying.  :bbblll:

================

Just think what the roads would be like if EVERYONE (cars, trucks, m/c) did these things.  :(

Best defense is good defensive riding.  :D

Tim

51158[/snapback]

sometimes you need a little offense or you'll both just come to a stop on a freeway like a couple'a dimwits trying to let the other by. :homer: I hate those morons but I just zip by when I'm on my bike. Or what about the dolts that come to the end of an on-ramp and stop ... STOP to wait for traffic to let up :rolleyes: ... those ppl should be drug out to the middle of the street and shot repeatedly. :angry: Or just slapped around maybe they have a good reason? :huh2: but I doubt it. :ninja: