Thinking ahead!

Ballacraine

Well, I was looking for a garage project for next winter.

I didn't think it would be my recently bought V11 though! :(

I really like this machine and hope to keep it even longer than my much missed 750-S3 :race:

For my own piece of mind though, I think I may attack it with hammers & spanners.

Put the things right that shouldn't have been wrong in the first place, you know.....

Like putting in the pistons the right way up! :lol:

My knowledge base is from the Tonti 750-S3 & Le Mans 1 & 2 models. It seems though, that the V11s have more than their fair share of avoidable problems. :moon:

Now, I know there are dozens of threads about all sorts of assembly and material related problems or potential problems throughout the site.

At the risk of depressing everybody :rolleyes::P (Sorry! :huh: )

Would you folks mind helping to post a definitive list on this thread, so I can eliminate all likely problems whilst I have it in bits. I think it may be a useful quick reference for all owner / amateur mechanics too. :thing:

I'll start the ball rolling with these:

The recently flagged up valve stem issue (poor material and or heat treatment by the sounds of it).

Poor finish on casings.

A potential spring problem in the gearbox?

Dodgy RAM (copy?) single plate clutch, on some models (Tenni, Scura, Rosso Mandello?). Recently improved with a revised design by report.

Once again...... Sorry if I am off base posting this, but I really want to get this properly sorted. :luigi:

Nige. :helmet:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I think there is some in the FAQ's but it would be nice to have a definitive "checklist" in there for ppl to give a good once over on thier bikes if they are so mechanically inclined, For I am not. But it would still be nice. :grin:

Belfastguzzi, Brian Robson and others have had hours of fun with rear wheel/ bevel drive bearings, I just had a self destructing starter motor caused apparently by a faulty handlebar switch tho I believe this to be a one-off. An index of probable and known faults sounds like a great idea. On the subject of your project, my feeling would be to start at the front and work to the back, checking everything.If your'e lucky, you'll find and eliminate any problems before they happen. :thumbsup: You probably wont be lucky. :P . No, i'm not cynical, just experienced :huh:

I know what you mean, Big J.

You can sit and look at something for ages, then fifteen minutes after you put it back you remember something else you should have checked. :glare:

Nige. :homer:B)

With all the considerable knowledge and experiences that are shared on this forum, it is so easy to get a bit paranoid about what is going to go wrong next.

Probably worth seeing to the easy stuff like replacing relays with quality components.

As for the more serious stuff like valve stems, worry about it only if it happens!

Chances are that if you get on and ride everything will be fine.

Nothing like putting a few miles on your clock to find out what works and what doesn't!

Just my :2c:

Guy :helmet:

With all the considerable knowledge and experiences that are shared on this forum, it is so easy to get a bit paranoid about what is going to go wrong next.

Probably worth seeing to the easy stuff like replacing relays with quality components.

As for the more serious stuff like valve stems, worry about it only if it happens!

Chances are that if you get on and ride everything will be fine.

Nothing like putting a few miles on your clock to find out what works and what doesn't!

Just my  :2c:

Guy  :helmet:

51048[/snapback]

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but........

The trick I am trying to perform is set it up for a few years 'trouble-free.'

I am going to try and eliminate the problems before they develop.

Tall order isn't it! :grin:

Nige. B)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but........

I am going to try and eliminate the problems before they develop.

Nige.  B)

51049[/snapback]

If your plan works can you please send your CV to Quality Control Dept, Mandello Del Lario. You may be overqualified though!

:D

Guy :helmet:

P.S. Just thought about another easy fix- gearshift lever nut- works loose after a while so a bit of loctite helps- I know this has hapened to several forum members.

If your plan works can you please send your CV to Quality Control Dept, Mandello Del Lario. You may be overqualified though!

:D

Guy  :helmet:

P.S. Just thought about another easy fix- gearshift lever nut- works loose after a while so a bit of loctite helps- I know this has hapened to several forum members.

51051[/snapback]

:lol:

( Thanks for the input too, Guy! ).

Nige. B)

I know what you mean, Big J.

You can sit and look at something for ages, then fifteen minutes after you put it back you remember something else you should have checked.  :glare:

Nige.  :homer:  B)

51046[/snapback]

So so true. We've all done it, cleaned the spanners, put everything away, mug of coffee in hand feeling pleased with yourself, when you glance at the workbench and there's a bloody nut/bolt/o ring you forgot to put back! And it's not the last thing you just fitted,oh no, its buried behind the worst knuckle shredding most bastard inaccessable spot on the machine, that despite contorting yourself like a yoga master hooked up to a h.t. lead,is just out of fingers reach. And after pulling it all to bits and putting it back together again, you figure out how it could have been fixed in 5 seconds flat. :grin:

So so true. We've all done it, cleaned the spanners, put everything away, mug of coffee in hand feeling pleased with yourself, when you glance at the workbench and there's a bloody nut/bolt/o ring you forgot to put back! And it's not the last thing you just fitted,oh no, its buried behind the worst knuckle shredding most bastard inaccessable spot on the machine, that despite contorting yourself like a yoga master hooked up to a h.t. lead,is just out of fingers reach. And after pulling it all to bits and putting it back together again, you figure out how it could have been fixed in 5 seconds flat. :grin:

51057[/snapback]

Exactly right! :huh:

A variation on that is when a young offspring presents you with a bit you thought you fitted an hour and a half ago.

Nige. :oB)

Slightly off topic, Ballacraine,do you know if there's a centenary planned for TT 2007? Haven't been to the island since the early 90's but would love to come back if they're having a big party for 100 years o racing.

Slightly off topic, Ballacraine,do you know if there's a centenary planned for TT 2007? Haven't been to the island since the early 90's but would love to come back if they're having a big party for 100 years o racing.

51062[/snapback]

Oh I don't doubt they will put on something special. ;)

( I sent off my marshaling forms last week. TT is nearly here again! :drink: )

Don't forget there is the Southern 100 and Manx Grand Prix too!

Nige. B)

Guest aironepony
Well, I was looking for a garage project for next winter.

I didn't think it would be my recently bought V11 though!  :(

I really like this machine and hope to keep it even longer than my much missed 750-S3  :race:

For my own piece of mind though, I think I may attack it with hammers & spanners.

Put the things right that shouldn't have been wrong in the first place, you know.....

Like putting in the pistons the right way up!  :lol:

My knowledge base is from the Tonti 750-S3 & Le Mans 1 & 2 models. It seems though, that the V11s have more than their fair share of avoidable problems.  :moon:

Now, I know there are dozens of threads about all sorts of assembly and material related problems or potential problems throughout the site.

At the risk of depressing everybody  :rolleyes:  :P  (Sorry!  :huh:  )

Would you folks mind helping to post a definitive list on this thread, so I can eliminate all likely problems whilst I have it in bits. I think it may be a useful quick reference for all owner / amateur mechanics too.  :thing:

I'll start the ball rolling with these:

The recently flagged up valve stem issue (poor material and or heat treatment by the sounds of it).

Poor finish on casings.

A potential spring problem in the gearbox?

Dodgy RAM (copy?) single plate clutch, on some models (Tenni, Scura, Rosso Mandello?). Recently improved with a revised design by report.

Once again...... Sorry if I am off base posting this, but I really want to get this properly sorted.  :luigi:

Nige.  :helmet:

51015[/snapback]

If my memory serves me well, I think it might be VW that first decided to extend service intervals so as to avoid problems caused by human fingers.........

If my memory serves me well, I think it might be VW that first decided to extend service intervals so as to avoid problems caused by human fingers.........

51091[/snapback]

The main reason I opted back into the Guzzi world was that of all the modern machinery it is still one of the best, if not the best option for home mechanics.

By the state in which it was delivered to me, I certainly wouldn't let the local Guzzi dealer work on it again. :homer:

All extending service intervals does, is mean less is done to a vehicle for a longer time.

I would rather have that intimacy with the bike, know what has been done and not been done, know the potential trouble areas and try to minimise or eliminate them. That is why I posted this thread.

Nige. B)