Leaking Monoshock

Bill Hagan

Ran archives search but saw nothing on this.

Noticed recently that the (Sachs WP?) monoshock on my '04 Ballabio has a leak. I must be dull, 'cuz I had not noticed this before, but there was more than a little bit of oil and built-up dirt adhering to it below. Rats.

So ... dealer confirmed and then made sad noises about MGNA probably not accepting as warranty work tho still in warranty period. They are checking.

That surprises me, but I can't find my @#$%^ manual (we're in a "cleaning" mode at home; if you are married, you understand! :rolleyes: ).

Maybe such items are not covered, but I wanted to raise here to see (1) if anyone knew/had experience with either such a shock failure or (2) warranty denial or (3) both.

If not covered (and possibly even if so, as I can possibly get a credit), I am inclined to upgrade, so I seek your counsel on that, too.

Oh yes, is "rebuilding" an option, or is new the only smart way?

Thanks.

Bill

It is gorgeous here just now, and I'm going to take the longest route home I can find, bad shock or not. :race:

Technically(although officially) the Sachs shock can be rebuilt. I believe that Lex had his rebuilt, although I am not sure by whom, so you may want to ask.

And I cannot comment on whether your shock failure would be covered by warantee, but I would think that it should be :huh2:

But all that being said, if rebuilding is too pricey(considering the value of the shock itself), or if MGNA gives you a hard time on the warantee(or it will take moving Heaven and Earth, not to mention millenia to actually get it shipped to you)...... I would think about just upgrading. Think of it as an "opportunity" :P

Todd Eagan at Guzzitech has some nice Wilburs he apparently has a "deal" on, and Lindemann Engineering has decent prices on Penske shocks. EMA USA does OK with the Ohlins, and I think LE can get them too.

BTW, before you get an Ohlins or Penske, check with Mike Stewart first on the right spring/valving, as he went through several iterations of both shocks.

Good luck!

al

Ran archives search but saw nothing on this.

Noticed recently that the (Sachs WP?) monoshock on my '04 Ballabio has a leak.  I must be dull, 'cuz I had not noticed this before, but there was more than a little bit of oil and built-up dirt adhering to it below.  Rats.

So ... dealer confirmed and then made sad noises about MGNA probably not accepting as warranty work tho still in warranty period.  They are checking.

It is hard to say what MGNA will cover and what they won't.  If they will not cover it, I would give them a call yourself and ask why?

That surprises me, but I can't find my @#$%^ manual (we're in a "cleaning" mode at home; if you are married, you understand!  :rolleyes:  ).

Yep, been there :homer:

Maybe such items are not covered, but I wanted to raise here to see (1) if anyone knew/had experience with either such a shock failure or (2) warranty denial or (3) both.

If not covered (and possibly even if so, as I can possibly get a credit), I am inclined to upgrade, so I seek your counsel on that, too.

I would go with a Ohlin's shock, I am really pleased with it.  I had the stock Sach shock rebuilt first and some modifications had to be done to replace the shaft seal.  If I remember correctly the rebuild and revalving was around $280. , this also incluced a new spring.  The Ohlins is more expensive, but worth every penny.

Oh yes, is "rebuilding" an option, or is new the only smart way?

Thanks.

Bill

It is gorgeous here just now, and I'm going to take the longest route home I can find, bad shock or not.  :race:

51161[/snapback]

Good luck,

Mike