Clutch Dilemma.

Ballacraine

1.5 kg sounds awfully light.  I put a RAM clutch into my Eldorado and it weighed in at 10 pounds (~4.5 kg).  That includes everything, including the transmission input spline.  FWIW, the Eldorado stock clutch assembly weighed 26 pounds (12 kg).

Unfortunately, I don't know the weight of the 'new' sport clutch assemblies, but it is waaay lighter than 26 lbs :grin:

52173[/snapback]

It does seem very light. I'll try to double check it for you guys. The new flywheel does seem to spin up a fair bit faster tough. Maybe this was due to the comparison of a failing model versus a brand new iitem.

Cheers

Bruce

p.s Found the paperwork. The picture are 2nd/3rd generation photocopy so its near impossible to nut out a design difference to the ignorant such as myself. Perhaps i could send the paperwork to Pete Roper for a comparsion with the stuffed unit (if he still has it).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I can't answer that. I only weighed the entire assembly.

It sounds pretty reasonable, though- the clutch plate is pretty stout and the diaphragm is steel. Together, they probably make up most of the mass.

J

Absolutely, but bhat's going to be a little harder to quantify, given the various materials and various radii of the parts of the clutch. The good part, though, is that the 'heavy' stuff is near the center.

To summarise then....( Please correct me if I am wrong).

Short term cheapest option. Bash on until it becomes a problem...Intend to do that anyway TBH.

Next preferred option. Replace with later design RAM, probably cheapest replacement, question still open on the longer term reliability? :unsure:

Most expensive option. Replace with modern twin plate and relax.

Sacrificing some low down pick up.

May be able to lighten it further? :unsure:

Do I have that right, folks? :huh2:

Nige. B)

I think that's about the gist of it.

Let me throw out a couple more things- I have a RAM clutch in my Eldorado (850GT for the Europeans). It is absolutely quiet. I only have maybe a thousand, maybe 1500 miles on it, but it doesn't make any of the 'normal' sounds. It doesn't make any sound at all, in fact. Time will tell, but I suspect it's because I used some very good, very heavy grease on it.

As far as longevity goes, I copied this off the Guzzitech site:

RAM Clutch Service Life Data Point by Topi Kuusinen

I just noticed that at about 45000 kms the disk of my RAM single-disk clutch was starting to slip.

This happend yesterday afternoon, and I'm leaving for Germany with the bike next Wednesday. Sigh. What to do? Thinking about nursing a fully packed Le Mans with a slipping clutch up the autobahn on the hills near Kassel made me decide pretty quickly.

Luckily I had a spare disk, but I had to get my hands dirty again. Just  when I thought I got everything in check after replacing the front end. I took off into garage a bit after four in the afternoon.

The disk was not very worn, only about 0,3 mm thinner than the new plate, but the friction surfaces were dirty and glazed.

BTW, I think a Le Mans with stock engine would not have had the clutch slip - yet.

Topi Kuusinen, Finland

I'd like to think I'll get more than 30K miles out of a plate, and I think others have, but I imagine it depends on your riding style.

Nige, if you are basing your rating system on price alone, then you've got it down. However, investing some money into a dual plate setup, perhaps lightening the flywheel also, may be worth it to you. The twin plate is a proven, robust setup and for piece of mind, it might be worth the price difference. It's a personal call.

Uhhh! Bruce. I still have *most* of the original Scura clutch, I can weigh the flywheel on it's own if you like, it certainly doesn't weigh very much!!!!

Incidentally, the ring gear from your dead unit came in very handy! I had to turn 1mm out of the middle of it and then it was a direct bolt on for our super-lightweight single plate unit we use in the racebike! Handy as when this was aquired it came without a ring gear and I was trying to fart about using a Convert ring gear but it wasn't going to be easy.

So, if you get to one of the meets where we're running, (Oran this weekend if you're in NSW!) you can look at the Green Goose and know that part of your Scurra is helping it wheeze around :thumbsup:

Pete

Uhhh! Bruce. I still have *most* of the original Scura clutch, I can weigh the flywheel on it's own if you like, it certainly doesn't weigh very much!!!!

Incidentally, the ring gear from your dead unit came in very handy! I had to turn 1mm out of the middle of it and then it was a direct bolt on for our super-lightweight single plate unit we use in the racebike! Handy as when this was aquired it came without a ring gear and I was trying to fart about using a Convert ring gear but it wasn't going to be easy.

So, if you get to one of the meets where we're running, (Oran this weekend if you're in NSW!) you can look at the Green Goose and know that part of your Scurra is helping it wheeze around :thumbsup:

Pete

52622[/snapback]

Interested to know what the flywheel weighs. I think it may be 1.5kg. Happy to know you got some use out of the ring gear it was yours to use. I'm in Vic so give me a email if you end up racing down this way and i will try and check out the Goose.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce, I dunno if your ring gear helped but we WON all four races in our class :bier::mg::mg::mg: . The Green Goose was flying, even though the track was as slippery as a politician in full election mode. The bugger is that the bike is now overwhelming the clutch and I'm beginning to think we need a 2.50 rim and a 120 tyre for the back :grin:

Pete