Clutch Dilemma.

Ballacraine

The difference is important and thanks to lower inertia, accelerations are much better, especially at low rev.

51967[/snapback]

That is one of the characteristics I really like.

Nige. B)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conversely, the additional mass of the DP unit smooths out idle and steadies the revs.... a trade-off. After all, flywheels do serve a purpose ;)

But I suspect the tradeoff, while probably noticeable either way, is not huge anymore between the SP and DP versions.

al

Conversely, the additional mass of the DP unit smooths out idle and steadies the revs.... a trade-off.  After all, flywheels do serve a purpose  ;)

But I suspect the tradeoff, while probably noticeable either way, is not huge anymore between the SP and DP versions.

al

52007[/snapback]

Quite so..

I suspect you are quite correct, Al. ;)

There is quite a price differential between the single plate unit & the dual plate. The dual plate is considerably more expensive.

I do not want to lay out on it & wish I hadn't, if you follow me?

Nige. B)

....It would appear that they have quietly redesigned the profile of the flywheel. It seems to be more substantial around the boss area....

Ballacraine,

What knowledge do you have of this? Have you seen both types? I heard the same, but don't know it for fact.

KB :sun:

Ballacraine,

What knowledge do you have of this? Have you seen both types? I heard the same, but don't know it for fact.

KB :sun:

52034[/snapback]

It was on a thread on this board somewhere. Some kind soul posted a comparative pair of pics showing the old and revised design.

I'll see if I can find it, but don't hold your breath. :huh:

Nige. :blush:

close to double sounds right if I read your discussion correctly:

comparing a standard (mostly Tonti parts...) dp clutch to sp clutch:

$66 for one plate (need 2)

$40 for intermediate plate

$95 for input hub

$1.25 for one spring (need 8)

flywheel lightening services are $275 for the cheapest I found in 5 minutes, but you have to provide a flywheel. I couldn't find the cost of a flywheel or ring gear.

RAM clutch: $500

even if you HAVE a flywheel/ringear, then all the rest is still $550.

bottom line- it's expensive to change the style of clutch that you have. :drink:

Ok,

Are the Ram clutch setup low inertia because it has a single disc and or because of the aluminum flywheel? How much lighter are we talking compared to the V11 S which already has a lighter flywheel than the early spine framed bikes and Tonti framed bikes. Also, I like the fact that the assembly has been balanced which would most likely be better than the Guzzi way.

http://www.mgcycle.com/clutch.html

Mike

Ok,

Are the Ram clutch setup low inertia because it has a single disc and or because of the aluminum flywheel?  How much lighter are we talking compared to the V11 S which already has a lighter flywheel than the early spine framed bikes and Tonti framed bikes.  Also, I like the fact that the assembly has been balanced which would most likely be better than the Guzzi way.

http://www.mgcycle.com/clutch.html

Mike

52145[/snapback]

G'day

From memory the ram clutch that munted itself on my Scura is approx 3.5kg-4kg. (Pete Roper has my old one and may confirm). The replacement Ram was approx 1.5kg. Spins up a fair bit quicker. 6000 kms with the new one and no problems so far !!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

G'day

From memory the ram clutch that munted itself on my Scura is approx 3.5kg-4kg. (Pete Roper has my old one and may confirm).  The replacement Ram was approx 1.5kg.  Spins up a fair bit quicker. 6000 kms with the new one and no problems so far !!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

52149[/snapback]

Good info. Bruce. ^_^

Obviously it is a different design.

Did you get the chance to do a visual comparison before the new unit went in?

Is the new one strengthened around the boss area?

TIA

Nige. :unsure:

Good info. Bruce.  ^_^

Obviously it is a different design.

Did you get the chance to do a visual comparison before the new unit went in?

Is the new one strengthened around the boss area?

TIA

Nige.  :unsure:

52163[/snapback]

I didnt get to see the new ram unit on my bike- though i have the paperwork that came with it. The spare parts guy told me it was about 1.5kg. I weighed the old one later to compare. I'll see if i can find the paperwork as it did have photos of the unit.

Bruce

1.5 kg sounds awfully light. I put a RAM clutch into my Eldorado and it weighed in at 10 pounds (~4.5 kg). That includes everything, including the transmission input spline. FWIW, the Eldorado stock clutch assembly weighed 26 pounds (12 kg).

Unfortunately, I don't know the weight of the 'new' sport clutch assemblies, but it is waaay lighter than 26 lbs :grin:

Guest rosso mandello

Has anyone experienced a Clutch, that does not rattle, my ROSSO MANDELLO sounds awfull, but the function of it is OK. I hope it exists

Guest ratchethack

No. Dry clutches rattle. Think of it as another instrument in the percussion section of the grand orchestra of Guzzi music. :grin: