State of the Guzzi

not_scooter_Scura!

Guest burke
I have heard that "more aggressive" pads do make a difference, but I've also heard that some end up going back to stock as they liked the "milder" bite.  So it is, as always, a matter of personal taste.

The brakes on the V11 are the same as many mid-90s through early 00s Italian "sport bikes" as you can find on older Ducatis and Aprilias.  The newest, basically this last year or two, have the newer Brembo 4 pad calipers which look a bit smaller, and the bolts are on the back giving them a "machined from billet" look, but they are still 2-piece.  I have heard they are indeed better though than our older 2-pad Brembo "Oro" series, and Paul had a set for a while and liked them. 

You can find them on eBay for about $300 for the pair, or buy them from Todd at Guzzitech as competitive pricing.  You'll need new brake lines though, as the fitting is at a different angle, and I've also heard that to really get the most benefit, you should also convert to a radial lever/MC.

But yes, our brakes are quite good, hence my comment.  And if you want more "bite" perhaps changing pad compounds before spending $300-1000 on new brakes might get you the results you are looking for.  After all, the brakes we have seem to have been "good enough" for the priciest of sport-bikes over the last 5-7 years  :thumbsup:

al

52125[/snapback]

Yeah. They brake good, they just seem a little soft in the initial contact. I thought I had air but after having a professional bleed job done (note I said BLEED job). They still feel soft. I think I am just used to more "bite" right off of the bat. My brembos on the 02 mille were the two pad kind but they bit real hard right off of the get go. P.S. I am one to two fingered braker so I like my brakes to have good grab. I'll check out the EBC sintered.

Thanks

Burke

I find it interesting that they dyno'd the Coppa Italia at 80.46 hp @7300 rpm and 63.26 ft/lbs @ 5500 rpm whilst the dyno results of the Sport Bike magazine test were 71 hp @7600 rpm and 59 ft/ibs @ 5350 rpm. It make me think that the broad range of dyno results posted by members for similar mods are the result of different dyno's giving different results!

Yes that's why we shouldn't give a damn about what the dynos say. Different dynos , different PS though same bike.SO what's the truth.???

Trust your throtle , that's the truth. Who cares and what's the difference (in a healthy motored bike) about what the dynos measure.Numbers on pappers are

just worlds appart from what's happening on the street and that's a fact.

If the maker says :the bike is that much PS ,then simply IS, that much PS, we dont ride with a dyno on hand but with a throttle.

I remember when the CBR 1100XX came out and was stated as an 165 PS machine yet the dynos and mags. measured 135 or so but there was NO 135WHP machine to stand next to it, think about it, what's the truth??

That's your THROTTLE (nice and easy and plain simple) ;) over and out/..

Guest burke
they're just spoiled little babies doing these reviews if all they can complain about is the lack of bite from the brakes I take it and leave it. Look at it this way do you want the front tire seizing right up on you with barely a half squeeze? I don't want track inspired brakes on my V11 nor any bike thats not a true over the top performance machine I'd rather make a controlled stop than skid my front. Think of it as almost ABS I know the brakes can bite AND bite HARD when you need them too thats all that should matter. I found out in a turn that some crazy asian on a gixxer couldn't seem to make the hairpin worth a rats ass and I would have run him over if my brakes weren't up to snuff that scared me a little :whistle:  and I stopped riding along with that pack of morons. So I say they Nit pick because unless you live with one of these its hard to find a fault on a simple test ride.

Keep your knees down and your chins up.

:mg:

52131[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong. I bought my V11 because I specifically didn't want a sport bike. If I wanted a street legal superbike I would have kept my Mille (which is hands down the most ridable superbike ever made). But somethings you get used to, like brake feel and when you need to brake hard it is good to have confidence in your brakes. Myabe it will just take getting used to but hey pads are cheap. BTW I have never locked the front brake on my street bikes (dirt bike yes, rear brake yes but not front). One of the things I pay the most attention to when riding is what my front tire is doing (in corners and on brakes) and clutch control.

Burke

Guest whart

FWIW, as a new initiate into the Guzzi cult, the review seems to positively capture the essence of the bike; every machine is in some ways a compromise, the question is whether you prefer the particular set of strengths and shortcomings that the machine has to offer. I think the suspension on the 04 Nero Corsa is fabulous- it soaks up jarring stuff without losing any road feel and i'm not a small- sized person. As to brakes, i wonder what this reviewer has to say about Harleys? The first time i rode my V-Rod, i thought something was wrong with the brakes-there was, they were Harley factory units that were appallingly bad, sort of slowed you down at best...

FWIW, as a new initiate into the Guzzi cult, the review seems to positively capture the essence of the bike; every machine is in some ways a compromise, the question is whether you prefer the particular set of strengths and shortcomings that the machine has to offer. I think the suspension on the 04 Nero Corsa is fabulous- it soaks up jarring stuff without losing any road feel and i'm not a small- sized person. As to brakes, i wonder what this reviewer has to say about Harleys? The first time i rode my V-Rod, i thought something was wrong with the brakes-there was, they were Harley factory units that were appallingly bad, sort of slowed you down at best...

52151[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I was getting at, If you compare this bike to a 999 which it isn't then it will never have a chance but if you compare it to a Vrod which it is much more like than it does very well. I wouldn't label my bike a sportbike(the insurance company doesn't) I'd say a 3/4 sport, as in riding position is similar but everything else is much less. Think of a Ranger Riata its a bass boat but the thing is made to pull a few wake boarders if needed. :lol: