State of the Guzzi

not_scooter_Scura!

I am not responsible if you go 'postal' with this!

-----------

State of the Guzzi

**Or**

"What, your motorcycle only has one neutral?"

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

Moto Guzzi? Moto who? If you've been riding motorcycles for any length of time, you've probably seen one or two of these unique machines, usually owned by the kind of guy who likes 1970s Saabs. They are known mostly for being quirky to the point of distraction, oddly engineered motorcycles that only appeal to those who like Moto Guzzis. Have things changed? Read Gabe's State of the Guzzi report and find out!

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.motml?sid=3094

-------------

or here: state of Guzzi review if no access.

:helmet:

The review is subscription only. I'm not interested in paying for a review.

52091[/snapback]

err , that's why you click on the other link :huh2:

but in summary:

"... I think the best thing about the Ohlins suspension is how it looks...."

"...So it should be clear to you that this motorcycle has plenty of flaws..."

"...So you should be surprised to find out that this is absolutely my favorite motorcycle I've tested at MO so far. I really love it...." :grin: that's a Guzzi comment alright

n_s_S!

I find it interesting that they dyno'd the Coppa Italia at 80.46 hp @7300 rpm and 63.26 ft/lbs @ 5500 rpm whilst the dyno results of the Sport Bike magazine test were 71 hp @7600 rpm and 59 ft/ibs @ 5350 rpm. It make me think that the broad range of dyno results posted by members for similar mods are the result of different dyno's giving different results!

Guest aironepony
err , that's why you click on the other link  :huh2:

but in summary:

"... I think the best thing about the Ohlins suspension is how it looks...."

n_s_S!

52095[/snapback]

A recent cable television review of the Rosso Corsa vs an Aprilia arrived at the conclusion that the Guzzi was the preferred choice for the testers. The younger of the two reviewers did say however that putting Ohlins on the Rosso was a bit like giving Granny silicone implants!!........... :thumbsup:

I think this was a very good and balanced article, for a change :thumbsup:

So it should be clear to you that this motorcycle(Coppa Italia) has plenty of flaws. So you should be surprised to find out that this is absolutely my favorite motorcycle I've tested at MO so far. I really love it.

[snip]

The V11 is not as good a motorcycle. In almost every objective category, it falls short of the competition, at a much higher price. Compared to a Yamaha FZ-1, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda 919 or a Triumph Speed Triple it's buzzy, heavy, under-braked, and has mediocre suspension. At $14,990, the Coppa Italia won't win the Coppa for Best Value. However, I understand that Moto Guzzis, like Harleys and BMW's, don't really compete against other brands of motorcycle. Instead, prospective buyers want to know how they compare against other Moto Guzzis. In this regard, the V11 is very, very good. It delivers the big-Guzzi experience far better than the wonky, hard-to-shift, ill-handling beasts of yesterday and is a very practical, comfortable and nice-handling bike judged on its own merits.

The only part I have a real contention with is:

The four-piston Brembo brakes are surprisingly mediocre, probably due to a conservative pad compound and the bike's higher weight. Downhill turns require a hefty three or four finger squeeze before the wooden feel is overcome and the bike bounces a bit on the oversprung, underdamped front end. Ohlins makes low-end components, built to a price point, just like KYB or Sachs.

I'm at a loss to understand why Moto Guzzi would charge an extra $3,500 for what appear to be damper-rod forks with no separate rebound or compression damping. I'm at a bigger loss to understand why anybody would shell out the extra money for the Ohlins if they provide no benefit over the less expensive Marzocchis on the $11,490 V11 Billabio. They don't detract too much from the overall experience and are easily fixable, I'm sure.

The brake observation is probably not too far off-base, but it must be taken in "context" with the rider's experience on bikes with probably less weight and indeed better brakes. But I find the V11 brakes to be quite good, especially as compared to my prior bikes :huh2:

But with regard to the Ohlins comment, although it is true that the forks equipped on the V11 from Ohlins are an OEM unit, they seem to be the same units as Ohlins' "Road and Track" series, which are not "damper-rod forks with no separate rebound or compression damping". Perhaps he read the specs on the standard Marz forks and thought they translated to the Ohlins? Because the Ohlins I have, which are supposedly the same units as fitted to models like the Copa, certainly have rebound, compression, and preload adjustment in both legs :bike:

And, I can assure you that the ride with the Ohlins is far better than the previous 02 spec Marz I used to have.

al

Guest burke
I think this was a very good and balanced article, for a change  :thumbsup:

The only part I have a real contention with is:

The brake observation is probably not too far off-base, but it must be taken in "context" with the rider's experience on bikes with probably less weight and indeed better brakes.  But I find the V11 brakes to be quite good, especially as compared to my prior bikes  :huh2:

But with regard to the Ohlins comment, although it is true that the forks equipped on the V11 from Ohlins are an OEM unit, they seem to be the same units as Ohlins' "Road and Track" series, which are not "damper-rod forks with no separate rebound or compression damping".  Perhaps he read the specs on the standard Marz forks and thought they translated to the Ohlins?  Because the Ohlins I have, which are supposedly the same units as fitted to models like the Copa, certainly have rebound, compression, and preload adjustment in both legs  :bike:

And, I can assure you that the ride with the Ohlins is far better than the previous 02 spec Marz I used to have.

al

52121[/snapback]

Coming off of an Aprillia Mille I feel that the brakes are not as responsive with less feedback. But, I think it is due to the compound since the brake calipers look to be almost identical to the ones on my Mille. I am going to try some more aggressive compounds and see how they work. Anyone experimented with this yet that can give me some good advice?

Burke

I am going to try some more aggressive compounds and see how they work.  Anyone experimented with this yet that can give me some good advice?

Burke

52123[/snapback]

I have recently fitted EBC sintered front and rear and can confirm a little more bite, although I was pretty happy with the standard set up anyway.

Took my friends GSXR600 out for a spin the other day and was very discappointed with the brakes compared to my V11, bearing in mind it is lighter and supposed to be a proper sports bike.

Guy :helmet:

I have heard that "more aggressive" pads do make a difference, but I've also heard that some end up going back to stock as they liked the "milder" bite. So it is, as always, a matter of personal taste.

The brakes on the V11 are the same as many mid-90s through early 00s Italian "sport bikes" as you can find on older Ducatis and Aprilias. The newest, basically this last year or two, have the newer Brembo 4 pad calipers which look a bit smaller, and the bolts are on the back giving them a "machined from billet" look, but they are still 2-piece. I have heard they are indeed better though than our older 2-pad Brembo "Oro" series, and Paul had a set for a while and liked them.

You can find them on eBay for about $300 for the pair, or buy them from Todd at Guzzitech as competitive pricing. You'll need new brake lines though, as the fitting is at a different angle, and I've also heard that to really get the most benefit, you should also convert to a radial lever/MC.

But yes, our brakes are quite good, hence my comment. And if you want more "bite" perhaps changing pad compounds before spending $300-1000 on new brakes might get you the results you are looking for. After all, the brakes we have seem to have been "good enough" for the priciest of sport-bikes over the last 5-7 years :thumbsup:

al

they're just spoiled little babies doing these reviews if all they can complain about is the lack of bite from the brakes I take it and leave it. Look at it this way do you want the front tire seizing right up on you with barely a half squeeze? I don't want track inspired brakes on my V11 nor any bike thats not a true over the top performance machine I'd rather make a controlled stop than skid my front. Think of it as almost ABS I know the brakes can bite AND bite HARD when you need them too thats all that should matter. I found out in a turn that some crazy asian on a gixxer couldn't seem to make the hairpin worth a rats ass and I would have run him over if my brakes weren't up to snuff that scared me a little :whistle: and I stopped riding along with that pack of morons. So I say they Nit pick because unless you live with one of these its hard to find a fault on a simple test ride.

Keep your knees down and your chins up.

:mg:

reasonable review, I thought. I agree with Al, the Ohlins didn't deserve the bashing it took, although without rear linkage, the bike will feel less compliant than what these guys are used to...........no matter what the suspension components. I added sintered pads too, I felt the same way as the tester. Firmed the front up correctly for me. good $35 upgrade :thumbsup:

He seemed to get it, though. all the quirks aside, it's just an engaging ride. Which is why we buy 'em and ride 'em. Objectively, according to real numbers, it's hard making a case for our bikes as modern machines. Everybody else's numbers are just better.