Moto Guzzi V11 Sport FBB

callison

Happy Birthday Carl.... now don't go getting yourself killed :bike:

...but the more I think about this, I am thinking the TPS as well. I just can't imagine anything else that is "linked" to throttle, and this behavior this consistently as described.

Let us know what you find.

al

An interesting test would be to see if you can blow the fuse with the ignition on and the engine off.

Try the test with the lighting fuse and fuel pump pulled, and then try it with just the lighting fuse pulled.

These tests may help narrow down the culprit...It could nearly eliminate the alternator and regulator if it blows. if the fuel pump relay is pulled it could nearly eliminate the fuel pump, fuel injectors and coils.

The lighting fuse may give a clue about the tachometer.

As for the TPS, you could check the voltage output. The maximum output should be a little less than five volts.

If you have a PCIII you could hook to a computer and check for smooth TPS operation from 0 to 100% throttle. Perhaps you could also do that with the CJ software.

Happy Birthday! :bier:

An interesting test would be to see if you can blow the fuse with the ignition on and the engine off.

Try the test with the lighting fuse and fuel pump pulled, and then try it with just the lighting fuse pulled.

These tests may help narrow down the culprit...It could nearly eliminate the alternator and regulator if it blows. if the fuel pump relay is pulled it could nearly eliminate the fuel pump, fuel injectors and coils.

The lighting fuse may give a clue about the tachometer.

As for the TPS, you could check the voltage output. The maximum output should be a little less than five volts.

If you have a PCIII you could hook to a computer and check for smooth TPS operation from 0 to 100% throttle. Perhaps you could also do that with the CJ software.

Happy Birthday!  :bier:

52858[/snapback]

All the other fuse circuits shouldn't have diddley to do with the ECU fuse, but you got me to thinking (a habit I seem to have gotten out of) on the TPS. I don't need to look for smooth operation of the TPS (and indeed, cannot do so with my DVM as that is a task best accomplished by an older analog voltmeter - which I don't have), but by watching the voltage on the TPS wiper, if it suddenly jumps to zero volts while twisting the throttle, that would logically be the culprit. Oh crap. Logically. This is a Guzzi isn't it? The fuse is probably blowing because I'm not using genuine synthetic air in the tires.

Actually, the fuse blew five times yesterday. I lost count. Once was at a very low speed. This is weird stuff.

All the other fuse circuits shouldn't have diddley to do with the ECU fuse,

I disagree.

For one, disconnecting the lighting fuse when the engine is off will help keep your voltage up as you exclude the charging system which has much more than diddley to do with the ECU fuse.

You were the one that brought up the unlikely possibility of the TACH...but still a possibility, why not exclude the possibility?

Other possibilities are the components not on the ECU fuse but connected to the ECU. The Coils are the most likely culprit of that bunch. From my experience, a bad coil can kill an electronic ignition. Perhaps Marelli was smart enough to put in current overload protection that blows a fuse. I am no electronic engineer, so maybe, I am wrong and there is no way that could happen. But it would be an easy test.

Yes, the TPS is the most likely culprit...followed by the engine position sensor, followed by wiring, followed by the charging system, followed by an ignition coil, followed by the fuel pump, followed by the fuel injectors, followed by thermal sensors, followed by the non synthetic air in your tires. :D

I disagree.

For one, disconnecting the lighting fuse when the engine is off will help keep your voltage up as you exclude the charging system which has much more than diddley to do with the ECU fuse.

You were the one that brought up the unlikely possibility of the TACH...but still a possibility, why not exclude the possibility?

Other possibilities are the components not on the ECU fuse but connected to the ECU. The Coils are the most likely culprit of that bunch. From my experience, a bad coil can kill an electronic ignition. Perhaps Marelli was smart enough to put in current overload protection that blows a fuse. I am no electronic engineer, so maybe, I am wrong and there is no way that could happen. But it would be an easy test.

Yes, the TPS is the most likely culprit...followed by the engine position sensor, followed by wiring, followed by the charging system, followed by an ignition coil, followed by the fuel pump, followed by the fuel injectors, followed by thermal sensors, followed by the non synthetic air in your tires. :D

52920[/snapback]

Well, I did say shouldn't, and this is a Guzzi, so against all probable logic - anything becomes possible. Now, if I could just find that old electronics encylopedia, I could look up the impedance of synthetic air...

Which fuse specifically?

The next time you go for a ride, please do me a favor and pop up Helsingor and eat one of the hotdogs they sell at the entrance, then tell me how wonderful it was. Little pieces of onion ring on them and all of that. I miss them terribly.

52698[/snapback]

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Carl, Happy Birthday to you" :drink:

Sorry, been away for a couple of days. It's the 15 amp fuse for the ignition that's FU every now and then. Actually it did it yesterday morning when I was about to leave for work. Gotta have a look at the wiring system and the starter engine as it's probably just a loose ground cable or something else like that.

Speaking of eating hotdogs in Helsingør I actually had two last weekend! Are you somehow telepatic or what? :notworthy:

We were 15 Guzzis from Guzzi Club Denmark, one guy on a Laverda 750 SF and a couple of blokes riding 4 cylinders from the land of the rising sun, who did a 300 km Sunday trip. At the hotdog stand in Helsingør we found the usual gang of drunken Swedes, who were waiting for the ferry home. One of them sat on a bench fast asleep with his Carlsberg Elephant beer (7.5% vol) in his hand and an open pizza box in his lap. One of the seagulls couldn't resist the temptation, did a kamikaze attack and flew off with a slice. Two split seconds later all sparrows, doves, bald eagles, oistriches and what have you went for the remainder of the pizza....what a sight! And did the drunken bastard wake up? No way, José.

If you ever come across the Pond please give me a buzz and I'll feed you all the hotdogs you can eat! :grin:

Best regards

Søren

It's the 15 amp fuse for the ignition that's FU every now and then.

Best regards

Søren

I looked at the schematic and that circuit feeds the starter relay, headlight relay, run switch, horn and headlight brakelight switches etc. Taking a not too terribly informed stab at possible shorts, I would suggest that you might want to take a look at the wiring around the horns and maybe even inside the right handlebar switch. The other loads on that fuse have something on the other leg like a light or relay armature, so they're not as likely to be sources of too much current drain unless a bulb socket is bad (possible) or a relay coil has a problem (also possible).

We're planning to visit my son where he's stationed in the U.K. next year. I very much want to return to Denmark as well as Germany and a few more countries that I haven't been to.

This just gets better and better :angry: I put the bike on the stand the other night and started it up. With the seat off I could mash on any part of the wiring loom around the relays, ECU, fuses - wherever without blowing a fuse. Thinking that maybe it had something to do with engine load and rpm, I put the beast in 6th gear and opened it up. 110mph on the stand in my garage - I don't like thinking what would happen if the stand slipped. It didn't blow any fuses. I'm in a quandary. Runs like a champ until you sit on it and open the throttle and then - wham! - it blows the fuse. I wished like hell I could repeat the problem when I'm in a position where I could look at it.

Damn damn blithering coal burning dinghy. I'm digging deep into my book of worthless swear words and phrases as I've just about worn out all of the ones I normally use.

I liked the tests you did. If the bike is insured, the 110MPH through a residential zone(wall of house) may have paid dividends! And mashing down on stuff sure seemed logical. I am suprised the seat is not mashing the wires under the ECU, relays or fuses.

Still it might be worth pulling those devices and looking for bad wire insulation.

I suppose you already checked the ECU ground line for ground.

Here is another wild guess.

When you hit the throttle the fuel sloshes back causing the low level light to activate, but the bulb is shorted out, so it causes the fuse to blow.

The major hole in the theory is that it should cause the lighting fuse to blow, not the ecu fuse.

Try a full tank. :huh2:

And another long shot, perhaps you crossed wires somewhere.

If the two red wires on the Injection relay are crossed, 85 to 87 and versyvisavusa, fuse blowing would be highly likely. But that probably would not have happened as the wireharnass probably would not allow it without deliberate effort.