Guzzi Newbie - Maybe Soon

Guest RonAikins

Guest RonAikins

I guess I don't even deserve the appellation 'Newbie' as I have never even ridden a Guzzi, but have somehow developed a fascination that will have to be satisfied in one way or another in the coming months. I am a typical 'retread' at 55, having dropped the moto obsession not long after high school (now, what was I thinking of?) & just picked it back up (with a vengeance) in '93. My tastes ran early to the BMWs, & I currently own a '94 K75 & '99 K1200LT. The K75 was bought new at the reinstatement of my moto-itis reinfection & now has 107k mi on it. My lust for a 'good long ride' was (temporarily) satisfied in '03 with a trip back to see family in the IN/OH/KY area. Now, that was NICE!

So what that's got to do with Guzzis? I can't explain it any more than I can explain why about 12 years ago it suddenly occurred to me that I might like to get back on a motorcycle. I can't stop looking at them: the muscularity, simplicity, & sensuous lines tell me they must be a hoot to own & ride. I've also been exposed to Guzzi-loving prose on pashnit.com & Melissa Holbrook-Pierson's book.

Before plunking down $$ on a fantasy, however, I guess it would behoove me to actually ride one... Perhaps, here in central CA there are dealerships that would allow a decent test ride? Are there places to actually rent a Guzzi?

At any rate, I look forward to reading the 'talk' here & seeing the pictures.

-Ron