Speedo \ milometer runs too slow?

Guest Ken Bruce

Guest Ken Bruce

V11 Sport \ 2003

Strange but true.... its a milometer.. its accurate on the roadspeed but records the miles at a rate 20% less than the trip meter? how can this possbly be?

The plastic gears failed early on at the gearbox junction - but that hasn't has any material effect? any ideas? everything else is bog standard...

V11 Sport \ 2003

Strange but true.... its a milometer.. its accurate on the roadspeed but records the miles at a rate 20% less than the trip meter? how can this possbly be?

The plastic gears failed early on at the gearbox junction - but that hasn't has any material effect? any ideas? everything else is bog standard...

52724[/snapback]

someone reported before that one measures miles and the other measures kilometers :(

or was it you?

Guest putt-meister

I have posted this as a reply on this site and Wildguzzi but I think no one has believed me. You are absolutely correct, at least on the mechanical speedos like what is on my 2003 V11 Sport. The speedometer registers in MPH, the trip odometer registers in miles, but the odometer registers in two kilometer increments. You need to multiply your odometer reading by 1.243 to get the actual miles driven. Seems like it would take more work to do this then to read correctly.

Next time you are out, pull off the side of the road when your odometer has just finished clicking over to the next number and zero your trip. Drive the bike for another 10 "miles" on the odomerter and you will see that the trip reads just slightly over 12.4 miles or exactly 20 Km. I have tried this on two speedos and have gotten the same result.

I have posted this and told several dealers about this and they just smile and look at me funny. It is nice to find another crazy person :grin:

Here is my experience: I ride the same route to work everyday. On my Jackal it was always 11.5 to 12 miles on the tripmeter.

On my '04 V11: 8.5 miles. I went to work and back twice and did not crack 40 miles. This is going to kill my fuel economy :D

David in NYC

Guest Ken Bruce
I have posted this as a reply on this site and Wildguzzi but I think no one has believed me.  You are absolutely correct, at least on the mechanical speedos like what is on my 2003 V11 Sport.  The speedometer registers in MPH, the trip odometer registers in miles, but the odometer registers in two kilometer increments.  You need to multiply your odometer reading by 1.243 to get the actual miles driven.  Seems like it would take more work to do this then to read correctly.

Next time you are out, pull off the side of the road when your odometer has just finished clicking over to the next number and zero your trip.  Drive the bike for another 10 "miles" on the odomerter and you will see that the trip reads just slightly over 12.4 miles or exactly 20 Km.  I have tried this on two speedos and have gotten the same result.

I have posted this and told several dealers about this and they just smile and look at me funny.  It is nice to find another crazy person :grin:

52732[/snapback]

Thx. appreciate the feedback. i'll just live with it and work out my service intervals as +20%.. at least i now know i have not lost the plot... talking to UK dealers puts it in the 'too difficult box' since what can they do... Ken.

Next time you are out, pull off the side of the road when your odometer has just finished clicking over to the next number and zero your trip.  Drive the bike for another 10 "miles" on the odomerter and you will see that the trip reads just slightly over 12.4 miles or exactly 20 Km.  I have tried this on two speedos and have gotten the same result.

I tried it and my Odo and Trip Meters were in synch.

The only sad news is I ran it against mileage markers and was off by about 6%. So my 36 MPG (US) that day was really about 34 MPG :glare:

Which means that when I commute, the 33-32 MPG may actually be as low as 31-30 MPG.

I think on the older Veglia units, the odo and trip odo report miles. I have a bicycle speedometer on mine as well as the stock gauges, and they match up pretty well mile for mile.

This looks like one more part of the Guzzi "character"that we all seem to love.

While riding on a recent trip with my BMW buddy, we both read 83- 85mph at 4500+/- RPMs. His GPS at the same time was reading about 78 MPH which is probably very accurate. Confusing matters more was our trip mileage. I would read 95 miles and he would read 102 or 103. This is not the 1.24 conversion difference.

I suppose that the speedometer could be recalibrated but, as Al or Carl said before, the error might save me from some speeding tickets. :D:D

V11 Sport \ 2003

52724[/snapback]

I wouldn't attribute this to Guzzi "character". It sounds like someone mixed up some parts at Veglia when they put the speedometer together. Like the wrong faceplate. When it got sent to the calibrator, they just looked at the faceplate, saw "MPH" and started magnetizing the eddy current disc to make it read correctly. It probably took a whole lot less magnetizing than normal, but by God, they got it to read correctly! It's pretty likely that they don't check the tripmeter as they're more concerned with the gauge accuracy and it doesn't take too many "miles" to set the gauge so there wouldn't be much to read on the tripmeter even if they did check it. They're bound to run on the assumption that the gear set matches the faceplate, but apparently, just occasionally, sometimes, it isn't so :huh2:

Guest Ken Bruce
I wouldn't attribute this to Guzzi "character". It sounds like someone mixed up some parts at Veglia when they put the speedometer together. Like the wrong faceplate. When it got sent to the calibrator, they just looked at the faceplate, saw "MPH" and started magnetizing the eddy current disc to make it read correctly. It probably took a whole lot less magnetizing than normal, but by God, they got it to read correctly! It's pretty likely that they don't check the tripmeter as they're more concerned with the gauge accuracy and it doesn't take too many "miles" to set the gauge so there wouldn't be much to read on the tripmeter even if they did check it. They're bound to run on the assumption that the gear set matches the faceplate, but apparently, just occasionally, sometimes, it isn't so  :huh2:

52813[/snapback]

Guys - i've got a more serious problem.. the wife's telling me i'm becoming an anorak (may \ may not translate for my american cousins?) because i've been raving on about this site.... most of my questions answered in 24 hours! and i thought i was alone in the world buying a Guzzi!

V11 Sport \ 2003

52724[/snapback]

Aw no! Does this mean I didnt actually get to any of the places I thought I went to? Will I have to go further just to get there? And what about coming back?

Aw no! Does this mean I didnt actually get to any of the places I thought I went to? Will I have to go further just to get there? And what about coming back?

52836[/snapback]

probably, or not. Everytime you cross the border all that stuff gets messed up anyway. It's bad enough when the clocks go back each year, but having to wind them back a century when you hit the Newry/Dundalk area... :wacko:

Buy a big ball of string and a yardstick

Guys - i've got a more serious problem.. the wife's telling me i'm becoming an anorak (may \ may not translate for my american cousins?) because i've been raving on about this site.... most of my questions answered in 24 hours! and i thought i was alone in the world buying a Guzzi!

52822[/snapback]

I have no idea what anorak is but I do remember (vaguely) getting blitzed on 3 shots of Absinthe once. And only once.