Tire Pressure

Guest MikeC

Guest ratchethack
I'm 36 front 40 rear  Avon Tyres

52848[/snapback]

OK Friz, but what do you weigh? C'mon, give it up. And be honest now... -_-

Guest MikeC

Thanks guys, but no fair your all lighter than I am. I'm a bit over 200 and working on bringing that down.

Mike

Guest ratchethack
Thanks guys, but no fair your all lighter than I am.  I'm a bit over 200 and working on bringing that down.

Mike

52873[/snapback]

Mike, a reasonable range of pressures will be suitable. Variables such as temperature, riding style, weather, tire design & compound, and load will shift your optimum pressures within that range. Of course all those conditions can vary independently within the same trip, or even within a few miles... Just another opinion here, but I'd say for most conditions, you'd be just peachy at your weight (assuming you're carrying no gear) at 36F and 40R (+/- 1lb.), and of course - work on bringing that down accordingly with your waistband. -_-

Guest friz

OK Friz, but what do you weigh?  C'mon, give it up.  And be honest now... -_-

52849[/snapback]

lets see just had knee surgery , bored,Damn 190!!!!!!

This question comes up at a good time since I am just returning my new/old 2004 LM to the road. I have virtually no miles on it and am still learning about the bike so checked the owner's manual to find recommended pressure fr- 32, rear- 35. Those seem really low since most other mfr recommendations are in the 36fr, 42 rear range.

So, what are you hefty boys in the 200-205 lb range running? Further, isn't there a rule of thumb about proper tire pressure being indicated by a 10% increase in tire temperature from cold to hot?

Guest ratchethack

Tx, my best guess is that Guzzi recommends a low-pressure bias toward traction and adhesion at the expense of tire mileage, and publishes standard tire pressure the same way they spring the suspension - for a very lightweight rider. :huh2:

You're absolutely right on the 10% rule-of-thumb, but I've never actually heard of anyone outside of a racetrack take cold and warm pressures and apply the old 10% rule. Where conditions are relatively static (a track) this makes a lot of sense, and you really need to be spot-on. On the road you have to settle on a range due to the varying conditions I noted above. Come to think of it, it's not a bad idea to run a check to see if you're in the ballpark for the road, and this weekend will be a great opp for Yours Truly to ck it out. Will do, and will advise. :thumbsup:

Tx, my best guess is that Guzzi recommends a low-pressure bias toward traction and adhesion at the expense of mileage, and publishes standard tire pressure the same way they spring the suspension - for a very lightweight rider. :huh2: 

You're absolutely right on the 10% rule-of-thumb, but I've never actually heard of anyone outside of a racetrack take cold and warm pressures and apply the old 10% rule.  Where conditions are relatively static (a track) this makes a lot of sense, and you really need to be spot-on.  On the road you have to settle on a range due to the varying conditions I noted above.  Come to think of it, it's not a bad idea to run a check to see if you're in the ballpark for the road, and this weekend will be a great opp for Yours Truly to ck it out.  Will do, and will advise. :thumbsup:

52898[/snapback]

I'll do like-wise. This'll be a good use for the new IR thermometer... I'll start with 36-40 and see how close to 10% that yields from cold. Incidently, thanks for your advice during the inspection/lubrication project of the LM.