Tire Pressure

Guest MikeC

Guest ratchethack

Here's a thought on this topic relative to all the Guys on this Forum who have fitted higher-than-stock bars.

I happen to like the stock bars just fine and find the entire stock riding position most comfortable over the long haul at higher speeds in the back country. Where I find my favorite riding is in the mountains, where my forward riding position seems to work particularly well terms of balancing the bike, more properly weighting the front end when pushing hard in the twisty stuff. If you're sitting back with raised bars, I'd venture to guess that you're unweighting the front end to a significant degree relative to the much better-balanced forward riding position, exacerbating the already significant inherent rearward Guzzi weight bias. This would logically translate to a need for a higher rearward tire pressure differential, maybe on the order of as much as a few additional pounds up at the rear and the same down at the front. Anybody have any thoughts on this? (Assumes sport riding tuck at keyboard in anticipation of dodging incoming)... :lol:

Here's a thought on this topic relative to all the Guys on this Forum who have fitted higher-than-stock bars. 

I happen to like the stock bars just fine and find the entire stock riding position most comfortable over the long haul at higher speeds in the back country.  Where I find my favorite riding is in the mountains, where my forward riding position seems to work particularly well terms of balancing the bike, more properly weighting the front end when pushing hard in the twisty stuff.  If you're sitting back with raised bars, I'd venture to guess that you're unweighting the front end to a significant degree relative to the much better-balanced forward riding position, exacerbating the already significant inherent rearward Guzzi weight bias.  This would logically translate to a need for a higher rearward tire pressure differential, maybe on the order of as much as a few additional pounds up at the rear and the same down at the front.  Anybody have any thoughts on this? (Assumes sport riding tuck at keyboard in anticipation of dodging incoming)... :lol:

52926[/snapback]

I was sitting in the garage last evening nursing a margarita and admiring the LM while at the same time gauging how far to the rear of the bike the rider's weight is. That's totally contrary to the trend of current day sport bike design with more forward weight bias. So, I'm in agreement, that even less front weight would call for a corresponding adjustment in tire pressure. How much? Measuring temperature change before a ride and 30 minutes into the ride should serve to guide one in pressure adjustment. Thing is, I know 10% temperature increase is used in racing but I'm not certain this correlates over to the street with substantially different tires and riding conditions.

Guest MikeC

Hey,

Went for a nice ride first good ride since I picked up the bike this past Monday. Spent the past day or so tuning her up and changing the fluids, she singing Volare right now. I have 37F 40R and the bike felt great, need to tweak the suspension a bit.

Man, the V11 is an amazing bike!

Mike

Just to put it into perspective, the manual says:

Front wheel solo 2.3 BAR, two up 2.4 BAR

Rear wheel solo 2.5 BAR, two up 2.6 BAR

For continuous high speed cruising on motorways, increase the front tire by 0.1 BAR.

In my opinion, I'd bet that many of us are heavy enough and fast enough to require the 2.5 front and 2.6 BAR rear.

Here is a quick and dirty conversion chart from BAR to PSI:

2.28 BAR = 33 PSI
2.34           34
2.41           35
2.48           36
2.55           37
2.62           38
2.69           39
2.76           40

FWIW I have three gauges and they are all several pounds apart.

So, I say set it high and let it fly :rasta:

But seriously, I am wary about setting the front too high as I am not good enough to control the front end sliding out and it seems to make the bike nervous.

Every tire I buy has been a new experience for setting tire pressure.

I too have hundreds of dollars spent (yes, I buy from Snap-On, Mac and Matco for my work tools) on tire pressure gauges. They all differ by 2 psi., I have found that the best gauge out there are the digital gauges. The good ones calibrate themselfs each time they are turned on. I bought one from Mac tools for $25 dollars and I also have two different ones from Snap-On that are $90. each. This does not account for all the big dialed air pressure gauges I have purchased for my don't want to wear glasses sydrome :homer:

Mike

running bt 020's (which I don't really like) at 34/36.5. I try and keep them there by checking all the time! Front end seems to like that 34. My next tires will probably 014's -- any comments on those?