New Guzzi Owner

Guest Fly4hire

Guest Fly4hire

After almost 30 years of riding I have finally arrived at a Guzzi, after various rice burners, BMW's, etc. I read an article on the V11 Cafe Sport, went and looked at one, and ended up buying what can only be described as an object of desire - a new V11 Coppa Italia, with the titanium exhaust and chip already installed.

The dealer I'm working with seems very helpful, competent, and meticulous, (Detroit Eurocycles) and wants several days to make sure the bike is set up just so before delivery.

I have many questions about the bikes, many already answered here, but with many more:

1) Is the infamous tank suck isuue been resolved on 2004 bikes or should I just have the dealer remove the system?

2) How can I make a tool for the 27mm hex nut for oil changes

3) what are people using for tank protection from scuffing by pants and riding suits? clear 3M material? Does anyone have templates?

4) Any suggested starting point for the Ohlins set up? 205lbs, pretty even mix between agressive and comfort desired.

5) Are the shop manuals on line here up to date or am I better jut buying one? Plan on doing all my own rootine maintenance.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks

F4H, welcome aboard. 1) have a 2001, removed the culprit and made life better, don't know about yours...2) some use the hex end of the spark plug wrench, some have made a tool with a large nut/bolt and a socket...there is rumored to be a 27mm VW allen tool out there---I'm looking for one of those...3) I let the bug-smash build up...okay, don't have an answer for this one. 4) sorry have the WP 5) the V11 shop manual looks like the one I purchased a couple of years ago...it is a little high level in some areas that I'd have liked more info on...I'm gonna have to ask Paul how to get a password to look at the other. Be ready to answer questions everywhere you park it...Keep the rubber side down. k

Welcome-

it looks like we have a lot of pilots on this board....

1) Is the infamous tank suck isuue been resolved on 2004 bikes or should I just have the dealer remove the system?

short answer: I think so.

I am writing up a short FAQ on buying a V11, but it's not on this computer. I recently posted it, so you should be able to find it pretty easy.

2) How can I make a tool for the 27mm hex nut for oil change

You can buy one or you can get a 27mm nut and put a bolt onto it...or get a 27mm bolt for that matter. I think there may be a picture of one on the mgcycle website (?)

5) Are the shop manuals on line here up to date or am I better jut buying one? Plan on doing all my own rootine maintenance.

You can download the entire shop manual which is out of date, or you can buy an out of date printed shop manual :cheese: Fortunately, Guzzi's are so similar year-to-year that the manual works just fine for all models. The manual can be had from yahoo groups- v11manuals, I think. If you have trouble, PM me and I'll help you get it set up.

J

Welcome to the board.

The lock nut on your rear axle is the right size for the manhole cover. Your tool kit should have a box end wrench to fit it. These two components together work nicely for me. I bought a socket for the oil filter at the local automotive parts store.

A M18 hex nut has 27mm flats.

Nice score on the Coppa Fly - I always dug that paint sceme. Welcome.

I would have the dealer disable it. If the hose is in the wrong position it causes problems and really doesn't accomplish a whole lot.

See here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...411entry24411

3) what are people using for tank protection from scuffing by pants and riding suits? clear 3M material? Does anyone have templates?

See here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...787entry24787

4) Any suggested starting point for the Ohlins set up? 205lbs, pretty even mix between agressive and comfort desired.

I set mine a couple of clicks beow the middle to get a softer highway ride. I'm pretty average at 175 lbs so I haven't touched the preload.

There is the shop manual available to download at a Yahoo site, a search on the forum will get you the link.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks

52911[/snapback]

...4) Any suggested starting point for the Ohlins set up? 205lbs...

Welcome. Re the Ohlins: I have an 02 Scura, not sure how similar the Ohlins set up is stock but I'm about 210lb w/gear & found swapping to stiffer springs (1.0 from .85) was necessary. If you can't set sag w/o upping preload to near max you need the springs. Also raised the forks about 15mm in the triple clamps which made a big improvement to feel on front & overall balance. There's loads of threads on this if you do a search - ohlins set up or similar. Also find they eat fork seals.

Good luck, hope the Guzzi works out for you.

KB :sun:

on the ohlins: if you're 200, than you're heavier then the average italian. So first check the front and rear sag, and eventualy get stronger springs, I think the front is the most soft of the two. If the spings are to soft, you won't solve it with damping. Front springs are the same size for all Road and Track Ohlins forks.

Welcome, I love your bike :notworthy: ... do not be afraid, I too jumped into MG and purchased a new one even after reading all the problem-sharing websites.

Anthro

Guest Fly4hire
on the ohlins: if you're 200, than you're heavier then the average italian. So first check the front and rear sag, and eventualy get stronger springs, I think the front is the most soft of the two. If the spings are to soft, you won't solve it with damping.  Front springs are the same size for all Road and Track Ohlins forks.

53234[/snapback]

I just picked up the Coppa last week (still grinning, and want to park it in my living room instead of my garage) and had the Ohlins tech at Detroit Euocycles do a custom suspension set up for me. Way more than I could have figured out - setting sag, correct rates, etc. for my size and riding style. He mentioned same thing that my fork springs were too soft for needed sag (at my 200lbs), and rear was marginal.

Seeing as the forks need to be taken apart to change oil, I'll live with these until that needs to be done and re-evaluate. Given the price of Ohlins stuff it might be more beneficial and cheaper to lose 30 lbs :)

The custom tune job was incredible - this bike handles like a dream - rock steady like on rails like my (for sale) K12RS, but much more nimble and feels half the weight but just as stable.

The bike is incredible, the motor even better. I don't think I have ever had as pleasurable a visceral feel from a bike. The MG strikes a long lost chord of harmony in the motorcycle world than is more than I can easily but a finger on. Cant wait until I can rev it a bit more freely after break-in. BTW, I would recommned Detroit Eurocycles to anyone - these guys are top notch, very meticulous and professional.

The only disadvantage of this bike is I'm going to have to start dressing a whole lot better. A Stitch' and a Coppa clash......Does Armani make riding gear?

I too am over 200 lbs. more like 230. I certainly don't push my Scura to the limits but am curious as to what handling problems I might expect as I get more comfortable with it and push harder.

After almost 30 years of riding I have finally arrived at a Guzzi, after various rice burners, BMW's, etc. I read an article on the V11 Cafe Sport, went and looked at one, and ended up buying what can only be described as an object of desire - a new V11 Coppa Italia, with the titanium exhaust and chip already installed.

52911[/snapback]

Nice score on the Coppa!

We must think alike That first paragraph sounds like me, 30 yrs of riding, Japanese bikes, BMW... Just bought a '02 LeMans last month. Loving every minute of it. So far as the oil cap tool goes, a cheap fix is buy a 3/4" nut & bolt. The nut should be a 1&1/16" hex size - fits the filter cover perfectly. Screw the nut onto the bolt tightly and saw off any threads protruding past the end of the nut. I actually made this tool for the fork caps on an old FJ1200 I had several years ago, just happens to fit the V11.

Good luck with the Guzzi. :bier: