Rear hub assembly

richard100t

I can't beleive there is so much difference, its easy to see if the casting is different: look at the nose bearing from the small crowngear, the newer ones have there extra parts, if you look at above pictures parts nr. 37

I can't beleive there is so much difference, its easy to see if the casting is different: look at the nose bearing from the small crowngear, the newer ones have there extra parts, if you look at above pictures parts nr. 37

53074[/snapback]

I'll have to take some pictures of the two side by side with the spacer sitting where its supposed to sit. You'll be able to see what I'm talking about then. There is a clear 1/4" difference in the two parts

Is it possible the splines in the final drives are of different lengths. I seem to remember there being something like that. I think the earlier spine frames had narrower rear tires. If the older drive box has a longer spline you might be able to get away with making the spacer narrower. Try putting it together without the spacer just to see if the gap goes away.

Is it possible the splines in the final drives are of different lengths. I seem to remember there being something like that. I think the earlier spine frames had narrower rear tires. If the older drive box has a longer spline you might be able to get away with making the spacer narrower. Try putting it together without the spacer just to see if the gap goes away.

53084[/snapback]

Yes the gap goes away without the spacer. Thats why I'm pretty sure a shorter spacer is all it needs. But I'm looking for anyone who may not agree with that. I'd hate to blow a whole rear drive!!!

For what it's worth you got my $.02

I really doubt you'll ruin anything. I hope somebody comes along to support the theory.

53090[/snapback]

I tend to agree with you. I just want to be as confident as possible before I get a new spacer & reassemble the rear end. There isnt a speed at wich I'm comfortable with having the rear end seize up on me :homer: With my luck I'd be doing 100 plus & then crunch...slide, boom :bbblll:

Richard,

I looked in my parts list for 2000 and 2002 models, the spacers in the reardrive and between reardrive and wheel have same numbers. Also the disk on the wheel with the gear, and the bevel gear. All the same.

You should measure from outside on the right from the reardrive and compare from that the two reardrives you have. that should be identical. I have a spare y2000 reardrive so if I have to measure something to compare on that one let me know.