Rear hub assembly

richard100t

On the driveshaft side of the hub there is 2 washers & 2 spacers. One spacer fits in the rear hub & rides on the bearing in there. I'm just having a hell of a time getting the rear hub back on with that other spacer right now. It does have 2 spacers on the right side & not 1 on each side? I'm starting to question myself right now lol

On the driveshaft side of the hub there is 2 washers & 2 spacers. One spacer fits in the rear hub & rides on the bearing in there. I'm just having a hell  of a time getting the rear hub back on with that other spacer right now. It does have 2 spacers on the right side & not 1 on each side? I'm starting to question myself right now lol

52982[/snapback]

Nevermind I figured that problem out. :D Man this is fun <_>

Is there a trick to getting the rear wheel pin to slide back thru the hub & wheel? Well back to the garage, I'll check in later. Hopefully I'll get it to slide thru. Otherwise it seems pretty simple. Would be alot easier if I didnt have arthritis in my thumb joints lol :luigi:

You've just got to work it through, bit by bit, moving the wheel and getting everything lined up as you go. Did you clean & grease the axle? A hammer helps too. What was that second spacer that you were talking about?

also

put something in from the other side to help it all line up as the axle comes through. Even something like a long screwdriver will shift things enough to move them into place and line-up with the end of the axle.

You've just got to work it through, bit by bit, moving the wheel and getting everything lined up as you go. Did you clean & grease the axle? A hammer helps too. What was that second spacer that you were talking about?

also

put something in from the other side to help it all line up as the axle comes through. Even something like a long screwdriver will shift things enough to move them into place and line-up with the end of the axle.

52994[/snapback]

I have figured out an easy way to get the axle thru the wheel. I just dont remember where that other spacer went. It looks just like the one that goes in the hub end. About 1 inch wide with a hole in its side. I need to search thru pictures of the rear wheel setup in here. Otherwise I'm screwed until I can get some help. This sucks...I really want to go to that rally in Wv tomorrow.

I have figured out an easy way to get the axle thru the wheel. I just dont remember where that other spacer went. It looks just like the one that goes in the hub end. About 1 inch wide with a hole in its side. I need to search thru pictures of the rear wheel setup in here. Otherwise I'm screwed until I can get some help. This sucks...I really want to go to that rally in Wv tomorrow.

52995[/snapback]

I thought you might mean that. The one with the hole is the needle-roller bearing inner ring. It goes into that bearing in the outside case of the drive box. The big spacer/washer sits over that bearing in the casing recess, between the box and the swing arm.

Image-87B55F16B45411D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

As a matter of interest, what condition is that ring in? Is there any rust & wear evident? Rust in the needle-roller bearing?

Hope you get to the rally.

Ok I've just read the other thread: it seems that you have duplicate parts. It originally sounded like you had too many parts (which is why I had asked if you found out where they went) but I couldn't think how extra parts had miraculously appeared. Forgot about the disaster story behind this and that you got the replacement drive box.

So, I suppose you didn't get a look in that needle-roller bearing after all?

I thought you might mean that. The one with the hole is the needle-roller bearing inner ring. It goes into that bearing in the outside case of the drive box. The big spacer/washer sits over that bearing in the casing recess, between the box and the swing arm.

Image-87B55F16B45411D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

As a matter of interest, what condition is that ring in? Is there any rust & wear evident? Rust in the needle-roller bearing?

Hope you get to the rally.

53019[/snapback]

actually both of my needle roller bearings were in good shape. No rust & lubed :mg: Now I get to go out there & try to get it right today...after some coffee of course. I've had it back together twice lol, first time I forgot the inner spacer. Second time I used the extra spacer (bearing). THird times a charm??? Lets hope so :lol::luigi::thumbsup:

Is there any difference between the 01 & 02 inner spacers? I'm getting a 1/4 inch or so gap between the hub & the rim.

53024[/snapback]

There does appear to be a difference between the 01 & 02 hubs. The spacer for the 01 is wider than the 02. I have the rear drives side by side & there is less room in the 02 than the 01 :!: I guess I'm stuck for awhile yet :bbblll::thing: I wonder if theres a difference in the wheel gears too? Anyone know?

The final drive is from a 2000 V11 Sport, the wheels should be the same, I had 03 wheels on the bike.

The inner spacer length is 12.5 mm long, (roughly 1/2 inch in length). The spacer should be able to fit inbetween the opening of a 13mm wrench. Measure your spacer to compare. Man, nothing is ever easy with Guzzi's :homer:

spacer.jpg

I can mail out the spacer if needed today, but with the holiday, it won't go out till Tuesday.

Mike

The final drive is from a 2000 V11 Sport, the wheels should be the same, I had 03 wheels on the bike.

The inner spacer length is 12.5 mm long, (roughly 1/2 inch in length).  The spacer should be able to fit inbetween the opening of a 13mm wrench.  Measure your spacer to compare.  Man, nothing is ever easy with Guzzi's  :homer:

spacer.jpg

I can mail out the spacer if needed today, but with the holiday, it won't go out till Tuesday.

Mike

53027[/snapback]

Hmm this is odd... ok they appear to be the same. Well back to the garage! Let me recheck things

Hmm this is odd... ok they appear to be the same. Well back to the garage! Let me recheck things

53028[/snapback]

For anyone who's following this thread. 1) I have an 00 & an 01 rear hub 2) the gears in the hubs are of different width but the spacers are the same length. this leads me to believe that the gears on the 00 & 01 wheels are different also. 3) the total difference is approx 1/4"...theres an 1/8" diff from where the spacer rests to the gear plus another 1/8" in the gear length. 4) the 01 is (deeper) than the 00 by this amount thus allowing a flush fit with that spacer. I would have to think that the wheel gear for an 00 model is "shorter" than an 01. However I dont have an 00 wheel to compare with my 01 . Should I get a spacer custom made so that the 01 wheel fits with the 00 hub, or is there a reason these two should not be wed? Lmao If anyone has an objection please speak now or forever hold your peace!

For anyone who's following this thread. 1) I have an 00 & an 01 rear hub

53031[/snapback]

Richard, attached are pics of rear drive and rear wheel

for 99-01 v11 and also the corresponding pictures for 01-02 leman and

Sport..

I am unable to post the part number table.

Contact me direct if you have questions,

I will do what I can to help.

99-01:rearwheel99-01.gif

finaldrive99-01.gif

01-02:

rearwheel01-02.gif

v11reardrive.gif

If this is too big a space-hog, someone please let me know and I will pull down the pics.

Ok Todd thanks :!: So there is a difference between the two for sure. My main question I guess is...Can you mate a 00' hub with the latter model 01' 02"? wheel? The wheel is from my Rosso Mandello whatever Guzzi used on that model. If not I'm going to just have a new gear made here in town. Apparently theres 2 gear machine shops right here where I live. I'll take photos of the two side bye side for everyone when I get my gf's camera back. Btw if I get a new gear made I'm getting it beefed way up more than the stock one & I'll make pics of that too.