Petrol escape

belfastguzzi

For the first day in a long time, the rain has stopped. I took the bike out for a short run to 'dry it out'. As soon as I set off, I felt my right trouser leg wet. I thought that it was water coming out from around the seat area – water was also streaming out of the mirrors etc, it's been wet here. After about 5 miles I was surprised that my jeans were feeling wetter rather than dryer. After about 8 miles I wondered why my leg was stinging. The thought flashed through my mind, 'could it be petrol?', but I decided it was just coincidence that my leg was stinging and my trousers were still wet. :doh: At about 10 miles I looked behind and noticed a cloud of grey/silvery dust coming from in front of the rear wheel and wondered, 'how did all that dust get in my bike?'

At about 10.1 miles I thought: 'that's not dust – that's a petrol spray :!:'

As I slowed to pull in a cloud of petrol vapour arose around the bike. I killed the engine & jumped off and could only watch as the vapour continued to stream off the engine/transmission casing, silencer and worst of all, the hot crossover.

Fortunately it didn't burst into flames. If it had, I wouldn't be typing this. The bike would have been a charred mess and I might have been too. My right trouser leg, sock & shoe are all soaked through.

None of the traffic behind had indicated that anything was wrong.:huh2: Surely the petrol spray must have been visible and must have been hitting car windscreens for the past 10 miles?

The lesson is: make sure that hose clip is fully tightened up. It only takes the smallest little gap for pressurised fuel to jet through. Think about the spray of water that comes through an invisible split or hole in a garden hosepipe.

Of course it's all Moto Guzzi's fault...that clip must have been made on a Friday afternoon...the petrol is probably Italian...mutter, mutter...

Pleased no one or anything came to any harm.

53030[/snapback]

It's still in warranty, just about. I'm sure MG would have given me a new bike. :P