Clip-on Risers

twhitaker

Here is how I managed to install a set of risers on my '02 LeMans. I got the idea of switching around the clamps from a fellow in Italy. I picked up the offsets from www.cliponrisers.com for $40 apiece plus $10 shipping and handling. I had Lee Bruns make the bar stubs. Nice work by the way. The offsets are bored for 7/8 inch bars. The existing bars are metric so I had to fill the space with a piece of .007 plastic shim stock. I had to relocate the front brake hose through the lower fairing cover next to the right fork leg to make it long enough. I rerouted the throttle cable behind the triple tree. The jury is still out on if the hoses need to be extended.

This moves the bars back about two inches and up about one inch.

(The 11,000 miles is on my second odometer.) :homer:

Pic_2.JPG

Nice work :thumbsup: Gary Cheek(an old, ex forum member) made a few similar versions of these a while back. But the disadvantage is of course that you do often have to opt for new longer various cables, but this isn't unique to this solution of course.

These type of riser solutions always leave me a bit nervous though, as they seem like they have at least one point where a lot of torque will be applied with just a very little clamping force :huh2:

But I've never heard of any problems....

al

The torque was also a big concern of mine. I plan on drilling for a roll pin in the bottom of the offset after I've made the final position determination. The dealer suggested using epoxy and I'm thinking about going that way.

These type of riser solutions always leave me a bit nervous though, as they seem like they have at least one point where a lot of torque will be applied with just a very little clamping force  :huh2:

53186[/snapback]

You should never be applying that much force to the handlebars- especially if the bike is in motion.

...not normally, but huge bumps, emergency stops, and who knows what.... could cause one to put a whole lot of weight on the bars, and "strip" them either way.

But I agree that a retaining "key" can be machined into the setup to alleviate this.

al

If you use this equipment in germany, you will go to jail...  :homer:  :huh2:

53200[/snapback]

TWhit "saved money on risers" :grin:

He should make sure his life insurance is all paid up. :lol:

You should never be applying that much force to the handlebars- especially if the bike is in motion.

When Mike designed his, they picked the bike up by said risers using an engine hoist. Then tied it down in a truck by the risers and drove the shit out of the truck to simulate load on the risers.

TWhit is gonna git hisself or someone else killed. :wacko:

For the record the only place I needed the shim was in the top half of the offset where there is literally no torque. The bottom half of the offset is split clear through so it clamps very tightly around the stub. You can get quite a bit of clamping force with an M8 screw. I'm going to key the offset to the stub for piece of mind. The stub is keyed into the fork clamp with one of the clamp screws.

I'm confident adding a second pair of offsets would be a waste. I contacted the manufacturer with my concerns about it torqueing. I told him I was planning on drilling the lower half for a roll pin. He said that coating the joint with an epoxy will make it as if it were one piece. It would break before it twists.

Guest philbo
Here is how I managed to install a set of risers on my '02 LeMans. I got the idea of switching around the clamps from a fellow in Italy. I picked up the offsets from www.cliponrisers.com for $40 apiece plus $10 shipping and handling. I had Lee Bruns make the bar stubs. Nice work by the way. The offsets are bored for 7/8 inch bars. The existing bars are metric so I had to fill the space with a piece of .007 plastic shim stock. I had to relocate the front brake hose through the lower fairing cover next to the right fork leg to make it long enough. I rerouted the throttle cable behind the triple tree. The jury is still out on if the hoses need to be extended.

This moves the bars back about two inches and up about one inch.

(The 11,000 miles is on my second odometer.)  :homer:

53171[/snapback]

That looks really good. I've been looking at a number of solutions and my latest thought is looking to replace my stock bars with the setup from the Cafe Sport. Has anyone ever priced this option out? I'm guessing it would be a couple of hundred at least but is it works with the LeMans fairing and saved my back it might be viable.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered these from Germany.

They can be used above and under the crownplate.

Also very much adjustible.

http://www.daes-mototec.de/

They are € 399.80 plus shipping € 25.00 to Holland

It's more expensive, but the looks an adjustibillaty will do it for me.

I will keep you informed.

Rob