Destination Parkfield, CA

Jumped on the bike Monday around 8 AM with the only thought being to go south on 25. There are a number of options one has in terms of other roads and loops back to Hollister and I figured I'd sort it out as I went along. Today I had more time than usual so I thought I'd go somewhere I hadn't been yet; Parkfield, Ca. The Earthquake Capital of the world. Population 18.

What a great destination. First you get the joy of 65 miles on Hwy 25, then 40 on Peachtree/Indian Valley Rd. to get to San Miguel. I can count on one hand the number of cars I saw in that 100+ miles, but the number of curves is staggering. Got gas in San Miguel and made a brief stop at the historic mission to snap a picture. dscn02775zl.th.jpg

Now I had to backtrack a few miles on Indian Valley to get to Vineyard Canyon Rd that leads to Parkfield. What a great road this is. Mostly big sweeping curves that allow you to take in the great views of this lovely area. The pavement is exceptional considering how few people use it. In the 23 miles to Parkfield I saw several bikes, but not a single car.

Just before you enter town, this sign remids you that you are on the San Andreas fault.

dscn02791zc.th.jpg

Parkfield is quite a town for having only 18 residents. A hotel and large restaurant serve food to tourists and the many USGS scientists who are there to study seismic activity. I was about 45 minutes early for the opening of the restaurant, so wandered about, took some pictures, and chatted briefly with some other motorcyclists before heading out.

dscn02854wk.th.jpg

The Restaurant

dscn02803tr.th.jpg

An unusual fountain at the Inn.

dscn02838vm.th.jpg

An old grain silo...I think.

Now it was time for another decision. The only way out of Parkfield other than the way I came has an unpaved stretch of road. I don't know anyone who has gone that way and didn't know what it was like. All I knew was that it came out on 198 headed to Coalinga and I thought that would make a good place to get some lunch and allow me take another great road back to Hollister.

The road was one lane and paved for the first 7-8 miles or so and then I saw the sign that said pavement ends, and another that said not passable in wet weather. The gravel/dirt looked pretty smooth, so I figured I'd check it out. What I found out is that Californias, while being great road bikes, are not good dual sports. The BT-45's are particularly bad for non-pavement. I kept it about 20MPH most of the way until it started to climb and got slower from there. Going uphill, the road was about wide enough for a pickup and thats it. Very tight curves made it hard to enjoy the view so I stopped for this photo-op. dscn02861wa.th.jpg

After I reached the summit, the road quality worsened and it was was quite steep going down the first mile or two. This was ranch country and far enough out there that they don't bother with fences so you need to share the road with cattle who like to lay down in your path.

This was one ranch entrance I thought was particularly interesting.

dscn02883wa.th.jpg

A few miles past this spot I came to a cattle guard with pavement on the other side. There were a dozen cows laying in front of the cattle gaurd and I practically had to nudge one with the front wheel before they would get up and move. Stupid Cows.

The unpaved section ended up being 8.5 miles but took a fair amount of time. From there it was a nice ride into Coalinga where I ate and then took Las Gatos / Coalinga Rd back to 25 and Hollister, which is about 95 miles. The whole trip was about 260 miles and not one on a freeway. Other than when I was in one of the 3 towns, I probably didn't see more than a dozen cars.

Fun Ride.

I'd be happy to organize another visit to Parkfield. What might be fun is to meet some of the central coast Guzzisti there for :food: lunch. San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara should be doable and maybe even some of the LA guys.

How's Sunday June 12th sound? Too soon?

We should pick a date and then we can post on the socal and central cal sites.

If you wana go, what is your preference on the non-pavement section? It's not everyone's cup of tea and there are other alternatives for getting back to the Bay Area.

Guest Dave Pott

Is the 12th too soon?? Heck, I think it is too far away :grin:

Especially since this weekend is supposed to be something like 82 deg. F in Paso Robles.....may not see temps that low again for several months :bbblll:

Guest Dave Pott

I'm in. Been wanting ride that area and visit Parkfield a while now.

I'm thinking the most direct route from Fresno would be up to Monterey and down Hwy 1 to Morro Bay and then east from there :bike: .....or would the opposite direction be best?? Hmmmm, better consult my map.

Now that I think about it, I'd best start Saturday morning the 11th. Just to make sure I meet y'all on time.

Guest Dave Pott

Hey, Mark

BTW, the Wilbers look great :thumbsup:

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago. Can't stand the wait.

I'm thinking the most direct route from Fresno  would be up to Monterey and down Hwy 1 to Morro Bay and then east from there.

53302[/snapback]

I think you'll need to leave saturday if you're going this way. Better to just head over Pacheco Pass and meet in Hollister. Alternatively, we could set a meeting spot enroute.

I'm thinking we should have a few meeting spots. One could be in Hollister, One at the end of 25 (Junction 198) and another in San Miguel. That would give us slow guys a chance to catch up and provide a place for people coming from other areas to join in.

If we left Hollister at 8:15 to 8:30, that should allow us to depart from the 25/198 junction by 9:45. From there it's 40 miles to San Miguel. Get gas and depart at 11 AM. We'd probably get to Parkfield around 11:30 or a bit after.

I think these are pretty conservative times. Maybe too much wait time. Not bad though unless it's really hot, which I would expect in the morning.

I'll throw some posts up on the other sites and see what kind of interest we have.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a chance here- trying to remember all this- so here goes -- Nor Cal guzzista's met in Holister, CA at (1) Cozy Cup Cafe (2) Starbucks (3) junction hwy 25 and hwy 198 (!). I left Stockton at 6:00 am, got to Holitster at 7:30 (Yes I did turn blue going over Pacheco Pass but did not ride over it sideways like last time) and met Hal on his new v11 sport cafe italiano (please supply all the details!) -- btw- this bike is loaded with all the goodies- a suspension to kill for, ... at the Cozy Cup. Then up rides GuzTim on his v11 and buddy Scott (VFR)-- both replete in fine italian (or similar) leathers, then Mark in Holister rides up on his California -- completely loaded (the bike, not Mark). Great breakfast and talk and then Mark thinks people might be waiting over at Starbucks, so we head off there -- trying to keep up with Mark! The Lady guzzista, Marina, is waiting there on her EV (I' know I probably got that wrong!). She is fine too :D and has ridden across this grand country on her bike :bier: (speaking of riding across country -- GuzTim, I found out, rode both ways, coast to coast , in 48 hours each way!= try that one some time).

We ride on hwy 2 5 - too good to describe -- zero practically traffic and wonderful sweepers with some goofy surprises too. This one highway exception, when the sign says 30 mph, they kind of mean it, sort of...

At junction 198 and 2 5 we meet up with Steve Hubbard (I owe him big time too) on his California -- just an aside here on the California-- probably the guys riding them!-- those bikes can turn. They really handle. I love those things.

Pics here show hwy 2 5 and 1 9 8. Fine ride so far, me trying to keep up with Mark, Tim, Scott. Hal, Marina and I keeping up!== now we have to keep up with Steve on that California!

norcal_bikes_6_05.JPG

norcal_people_6_05.JPG

We ride into San Miguel, get gas, and ride on a great ride into Parkfield (I"m at about 300 miles about here). Parkfield is great.

WE NEED TO DO A GUZZI RALLY HERE --- MARK HAS PROMISED TO ORGANIZE IT (didn't I hear you that Mark?.... Mark...) There's a hotel, cafe with great food, and plenty of camping room, I think -- depends on who owns it and will they let us have our rally!)

Pics show: cool bikes at Parkfield! including this Laverda (1979?), license plate of the guy who wants to buy my bike, and the whole NorCal-SoCal group, and of course the cafe

leverda.JPG

new_jersey.JPG

mg_group_parkfield_05.JPG

tim_tom_parkfield.JPG

parkfield_05.JPG

once again for the world-- can this guy pull off a rally, sanctioned by guzzi, at parkfield??? :bier::P:

Thanks Mark for pulling off this event this Sunday (and for me, Monday too :P )

mark_parkfield_o5.JPG

leaving Parkfield -- Tim and Scott, Hal and Marina took off north, the solcal guys (3) went south. Mark, Steve, and I headed back the way we came -- except somewhere alone the line I notices (or Steve did) that my rear tire had cooked off- it was gone! I couldn't make it home -- 250 miles?- Steve offered me to stay with his wife and him in the hills east of Monterey -- I think about 70 miles away from Parkfield. We all three rode to King City, parted company with Mark, and Steve and I headed over to the coast- I was freaked out with no tread left! (I know-- save it :2c: I WAS going to buy tires after this ride- honestly. Whoever was going to buy this bike was getting new tires too :)

Spent the night at Steve's. Loaded the goose onto his GUZZI TRAILER (he's got i t all!) and drove to San Jose next day (2 hours). Bought new tires at the only shop open on Monday! and Steve and I (read:STeve) removed my tires -- OK, so I now know how to take a rear tire off a Le Mans (only took 2 hours to take it off!, 15 minutes to put it back on. Front went on smooth (er)! This guy and his wife went all out for me here -- Thanks big Time :bier:

Pic : new Tire -- BT 014 -- thanks to this forum for that too!

tire.JPG

once again for the world-- can this guy pull off a rally, sanctioned by guzzi, at parkfield??? :bier:  :P:

Probably not as I couldn't even manage to get a headcount of all who made it. I think it was 13. Seriously, I am amazed at how many people came from 200 miles away just to have lunch and BS with other Guzzisti. I guess I better get off my lazy ass and make it to a Monthly breakfast in Winters one of these days.

I don't know about an official rally, but I made a suggestion on wildguzzi that we do a bi-annual lunch there in the spring and fall.

To avoid the hot indian summer and other (Nevada and San Diego) rallys, the first sunday in November was suggested. That would be the 6th.

Whaddya all think?

P.S. Glad you made it back to Steve's OK. That was one bald-ass tire you had there and I'm sure it was worse by the time you got to Steve's. He's a good guy and a looooong time Guzzisti.