My Scura's 1st birtday..

Guest nastav

Guest nastav

Hi,

I bought a 0 mile 2002 scura last June, it now has (sadly) less than 3,000 miles. With one year left on the "warrenty", I am wondering what the process is to get anything that will break fixed under warrenty.

I have had no problems with the tranny or engine paint or...anything (yet?!)

Is this bike affected by the Transmission recall? And does it need to fail first?

Any links to old discussion or posts would be great.

Thank you.

Is this bike affected by the Transmission recall?

Thank you.

53296[/snapback]

I don't know anything about a transmission recall, but Soren, I think, said that his 2002 bike was in for a transmission recall. There hasn't been an answer about this yet, but if anyone knows, it would be good to hear.

I didn't know Soren's bike had any problems.

there's always the clutch bogeyman to keep you awake at night, despite the fact that it'll probably never fail. My '02 leftover I bought is 2 years old, 9K+ miles and not one headache; most V11 owners will claim that my bike is just about to pass its break-in period.

go ride.

Dan

I didn't know Soren's bike had any problems. 

53299[/snapback]

"I had my tranny done here in March and after the recall it runs like a hot knife in cold butter....The only hiccup I faced was that the Danish importer, who had to do the work, managed to assemble the gear box incorrectly, which led to my local dealer had to pull the engine out again afterwards and fix the bloody thing properly."

Søren

thread here

"I had my tranny done here in March and after the recall it runs like a hot knife in cold butter....The only hiccup I faced was that the Danish importer, who had to do the work, managed to assemble the gear box incorrectly, which led to my local dealer had to pull the engine out again afterwards and fix the bloody thing properly."

Søren

thread here

53303[/snapback]

Ya got me. My bad. :huh2:

Hmmm, seems like we got a nice number of Scura owners who post to this board. I maybe in the *extreme* minority with no problems. No paint peel, no gearbox, no clutch, no trans pawl spring...............no NOTHING. Oh crap, I hope I haven't angered the cycle gods with that one. JINX! :)

Dan

I have an 01 mandello & with 3000 miles on it the fuzzy paint is still fine. I have the same single plate clutch & its fine too. Basically your bike will be fine... or you'll be in the minority & have tons of problems. The only way to find out is to ride it often :race::mg: Thats what I do.

Guest nastav
Get rid of it before it blows to bits,these Moto Guzzi's are such awful old sheds. Find yerself a nice wee Honda. You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

53324[/snapback]

I searched all over for a nice, high-quality, well engineered, mass-produced, 178bhp-producing suzuki......but, alas couldn't find anything with the motor sticking outta the sides....cool "racer-rep" graffics and a splash of neon just couldn't sell me on it....

seriously....I love the "moto-Gucci" (as my girlfreind calls it) and I have had no problems on the darn thing...except the low mileage...but even I can fix that!

I sought after and purchased the bike after reading all the horror stories of trannys, and clutches, and the weird black paint falling off (not a problem...can you make it ALL fall off at once?)....and looking at and riding a vareity of other Italian bikes. The only one that came close IMHO was the MV Augusta Brutale that my 22yo friend bought prior to securing insurance...oops!

So the Scura was secured and MH ti pipes were installed....no other mods done yet, except for getting rid of the huge mudflap/plate holder...

I love the bike and just wanted to know if there was anything I needed to watch out for that could be fixed for free from MG...

Guest Rich Fernandez

Purchased my 2002 Scura a little over a year ago. I await a new case because of the paint problem. I also have on a number of occasions (four) had the 'vapors'. When the new case arrives, I'll have my mechanic move the fuel pump and insulate the lines and hope. Lastly, I put on a V-11 fairing and find the ride more to my liking. Even with these problems, I enjoy the riding this bike and don't plan on further changes.

I have a Scura, 2 yrs old/ 12,000 miles.

Paint & finish is still good. Bike goes great.

Parts I had on warranty:

Gbox pawl spring x 2 (broke @ 3500 & 7000 miles)

Gbox pawl arm (undersize spring boss))

R brake torque arm (chewed up bush)

R wheel bearing spacer (too short)

R wheel bearing

I have not heard of any recall on the Scura. The gbox pawl arm is a known problem affecting some bikes. There is a MG service bulletin about it. It may be worth removing cover to check pawl arm spring boss is correct size. There is thread about this if you search.

It may also be worth checking tightness of all fastenings & seeing if there is lube where there should be. Esp check outside roller bearing in rear drive box is lubed.

KB :sun:

Hello again,

thanks for stepping in, Belfastguzzi :bier:

Yup, I had my tranny done and haven't had any transmission probs since.

Right now it's leaking oil from the left cylinder so it's back to the dealer/importer again, hoo-f......-rah :homer: I assume they didn't tighten the bolts correctly when they did the engine case repaint job.

Sure glad she's still under warranty and since I travel a lot I can have the maintenance done when I'm away, but it's also bloody annoying that she has all these minor flaws. Another flaw is the starter engine which keeps blowing the 15 amp fuse. I think I've gone through 8-10 fuses within the last month so that's another issue my importer has to look into. The funny part is that it isn't my dealer who will do the maintenance job but the DK importer as we are talking about a warranty job. This means that they have to send/ship my bike across the country which means another 2-3 days delay.

That aside I still love the beast. When I look at her I get a big smile on my face and I can't really imagine having another bike. Call me a perv but I can't help it :)

Cheers

Søren

Soren,

Was this a recall? What work was done? We have had no recall AFAIK in UK on Scura?

Thanks, KB :sun:

53443[/snapback]

Hi Baldini,

Nope, that wasn't a recall. I was heading home after the annual DK Guzzi meeting in 2004 when the bike decided to call it a day. It was stuck(ed??) in 4th gear but I managed to drive the 300 km trip back to home.

I called my dealer the following day and had the tranny done in a week or so by the DK importer. This was free of charge, of course.

As I'm the only Scura owner in Denmark and V11's in general are very rare I don't remember seeing any recall from the dealer. Pretty sad, actually, but see no evil, hear no evil, I suppose.

Best regards

Søren

... It was stuck (correct!!!) in 4th gear...

Soren,

Do you know what the problem was? Broken spring? 300km in 4th - sounds like a long trip. I've had 30 or 40 miles in 3rd (pawl arm spring) a couple of times....hopefully sorted now...

:bier: KB

Nope, that wasn't a recall.

53495[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up. When you originally posted about the 'recall', I suspected that it might have been a translation confusion but it's better to know for sure.

It does sound like the spring could have gone. Was that checked? Was the whole gearbox removed at first, or just the sideplate? Seems like you had the whole engine out :!: – do you know why this was done?