High Oil Consumption

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Some time ago I posted on the subject of seemingly high oil consumption. It now appears that if I fill to the top mark on the dipstick the engine uses oil quite quickly until the level falls to just above the halfway mark.

After that, it doesn't seem to use any at all. First 500 miles after topping up the level fell, next 500, no change.

Is this common??

Some time ago I posted on the subject of seemingly high oil consumption. It now appears that if I fill to the top mark on the dipstick the engine uses oil quite quickly until the level falls to just above the halfway mark.

After that, it doesn't seem to use any at all. First 500 miles after topping up the level fell, next 500, no change.

Is this common??

53350[/snapback]

My T3 used to be exactly the same - never figured out whether it was ejecting or burning the 'excess' though.

Phil

Guest Nogbad

This is a considerable relief!

Until someone on here suggested monitoring the level for 1000 miles, I had been topping up every week and thinking the damn thing had a dipsomaniac oil thirst. I am only going to top up if it gets to the bottom mark in future.

It's always been a classic Guzzi problem. Quite simply there isn't enough volume in the crankcase so that until sufficient oil has been ejected to allow the whole sorry business to stabilize it will continue to loose it.

The only issue with V11's is that they are a bit prone to exposing their pick-ups if the level is allowed to fall too far. The only folks I've heard of who chronically have tghis problem though are the real 'Hard Chargers' who wheelie a lot or rev it out constantly in all gears.

At the end of the day Guzzis have always 'Found their own level' as far as oil is concerned. All three of mine do it. I stopped worrying about it years ago and just remember where on the stick their *level* is and try not to fill it beyond that.

Pete