2004 Nero Corsa 10 K mile report

Keith Foster

Hi Troops, this morning on the way to work I passed the 10 thou. mile mark on my '04 Nero Corsa. For those with a hint of "Guzzichondriatis" I offer my $0.02 of my 13 months of ownership.

Early in Guzzi ownership (like several hours!) I was questioning my purchase decision, a tempermental ECU had me wondering what I gotten myself into. Read about it here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2654&hl=

Thanks to those who offered moral support then, btw.

I am happy to report that after this episode I have nothing detrimental to add :D and only complimentary things to report.

Thanks to forum members I have done some precautionary things that maybe headed off issues i.e. lubing and straightening the speedo cable elbow at the tranny, collected the bits and technique to grease the universal splines without having to disassemble the swing arm, the "Edge Guard", disconnected the sidestand + clutch interlock switch, vacuum nipples, emissions canister, etc. When I swapped out the worn out OE tires (Metz. Sportec's) at 8600 +/- mi. for Pirelli Diablo Strada's I lubed up the rear wheel drive splines.

I'm still on the original brake pads (front and rear), shift return spring, relays, instruments, battery, starter motor, clutch, engine paint, etc. :thumbsup:

I'm running the MG Ti exhaust, stock X over, ventilated the air box lid and aputated the snorkels / with a BMC filter, ceramic coated header/X over, mileage is typically 40-42 mpg. A PC III is on the list for the future when I get the itch bad enough.

Like many others here who write it better than I, the whole feel/sound/character/experience thing is going full song. Here's to the tune to continue to play! :bier: (insert 5000 rpm V11 engine sound clip)

Hi keith, if all that have a no problem v11 would write it here, the ratio problem / no prpoblem v11 would go down. New people looking here what a v11 is about find a lot of probrem pages. Most who don't have problems don't write it.

Glad to see youre happy with it.

Guest Dave Pott
When I swapped out the worn out OE tires (Metz. Sportec's) at 8600 +/- mi

Holy Moly!! How the heck did you get that kind of mileage out of the Sportec's?? Are you talking about the rear tire??

I'm lucky to get half that :bbblll: A couple of time alot less 'cause I picked up nails when the rubber thinned out alittle.

What kind of riding do you do?? 80% of my miles(12K per year) are hard mountain riding since that is where I live and I like to ride at a good pace, usually :race:

But, damn, I'm having to buy 3-4 new rear tires per year at this rate :(

Holy Moly!! How the heck did you get that kind of mileage out of the Sportec's?? Are you talking about the rear tire??

Yes, the rear wearing out was the main reason I swapped them out. I did push the rear quite far, down to where the middle was smooth, no grooves left at all. I was suprised to feel the thickness at this point when I had it off, it was less than I'd expected, maybe 1/8"-3/16" thick from the way it felt. I probably won't push it that far again.

The area I live in is table flat, so the roads are not very curvey. Most of my riding is commuting to work, with a rare weekend ride for fun. So, most of my tire wear is down the middle. I do take an occasional detour for some curves on the way to/from work, so I try not to be a complete dodder.

Guest Dave Pott

Hey Keith,

After you put a few miles on the Stradas please give us a report on what you think of them. I'm about ready to try something else.(although I DO like the stickiness of the Sportec)

Yes, the rear wearing out was the main reason I swapped them out. I did push the rear quite far, down to where the middle was smooth, no grooves left at all. I was suprised to feel the thickness at this point when I had it off, it was less than I'd expected, maybe 1/8"-3/16" thick from the way it felt. I probably won't push it that far again.

Yeah I use also the Sportec and it is a tire that has given me a lot of confidence , due to it's grip, when going around corners. It is actually mede f ro going around corners...LOL.

Yes the back tire is getting a bit flat easier then the front.I notice a 25-30% more wear on the back than the front and I am not pushing it hard at all. OK there is tourgue thre guys y'know so that may be reasonable.

Damn the /60 profile is lowering the back sit of the bike for about 2-3cm and I like it more high. Heck with the geometry change but I can really notice that small difference on height. The touring /70 profilers are the Dragon GTS i think along with the Me Z4 (it they make them still) but these don't provide as descent grip as the SPortecs....

Well well well yet something more to think about in the next tire change..