Corsa can!

GuzzBun

Took the MGS01 Corsa out this Sunday - beautiful day, and he behaved beautifully too. Urban speeds are a problem though - the engine doesn't like pootling about at low revs - rather lumpy and prone to stalling until at full operating temperature - guess it's probably a light flywheel so relatively little inertia. But once the speed is up to 'road acceptable' limits the engine and power train are very smooth.

Gets me wondering though - inevitably I have to do some pootling at low speeds to get from home to the fast roads - is a lot of this sort of riding going to be detrimental to the engine in the long term?

I guess the whole machine was designed to be ridden at high speeds on the track, so typical town riding is going to be relatively unpleasant compared to a street bike. The seat is surprisingly comfortable, but for prolonged riding, speed has to be above 50mph to relieve the load on the wrists.

Parked in Matlock, he received an amazing amount of attention from other riders. I've taken to carrying the registration documents with me in readiness for the inevitable 'pull' from Mr Plod - only a matter of time I guess - lack of lights, indicators and mirrors does warrant a legal interest!!!

On the subject of mirrors, I really do want to fit some to the Corsa - bought a pair of Motrax Bar End mirrors, but they won't fit - true to Guzzi form, the bar end weights on the Corsa are far from standard. Anyone got any suggestions for suitable small convex mirrors that will either clamp onto the existing bar end weights or replace them?

He's booked into Twiggers this weekend for his first service. Whilst there I shall be putting a deposit down on an 1100 Breva Nero with all the touring accessories - the Cali 1100 has served her time and the writeups on the Breva make her an irresistible purchase.

Aint life grand!?

inevitable 'pull' from Mr Plod

Most are pretty clueless on the nuancess, and you'd certainly baffle a few. Probably wouldn't notice the lack of lights. Those that would be clued up might have seen the bike in MCN or one of the glossies so would know what it was.

I am noticing more quads registered and on the road so there are oddballs out there.

I suspect that they have days when they (we) just pull all the bikes at places like Matlock on a road safety drive. Other wise it's more likely going to be for some more obvious infringement, pipe or plate if not manner of driving a white line trap got to be a good one.

Having returned from Ireland through North Wales I can see why the local police seem to have a down on speed and motorcycles. Fantastic roads to ride on. If I lived midlands etc I would head that way at every chance. Though the best roads are the smaller A roads in Snowdonia. I don't know which get policed the most. The only camera van I saw was mid Wales on the A470. (watching the post for one more week) Must get complaints and accidents that fuel the fire.

I'd imagine the Yorkshire Dales and most of the rural north are simularly blessed and cursed.

Well good luck on who gives you a tug.

The worry of a reduced engine life if used at low engine speeds should be thrown aside. The very high level of tune this engine has been made to is guaranteeing a much reduced engine life compared to stock tune Guzzi engines, regardless of wether you put put around town or not.

Ciao, Steve G.

.....I have to do some pootling at low speeds to get from home to the fast roads - is a lot of this sort of riding going to be detrimental to the engine in the long term?....

I think you are right to be concerned. This sort of use could be very detrimental to the engine. May I suggest a solution: I live in a rural area without any local congestion, I would happily keep the bike here & furthermore would be prepared to exercise it regularly on fast, open roads to ensure it remained in good health.

KB :sun:

low speeds is no problem, lows revs is. For the driveline, but nothing else as with any guzzi. If you don't mind the part above 230km/h then you can change the primary gears in the gearbox to the v11 ones, it will make the gear ratio the same as with a v11.

I guess you did'nt like these then...

They allow you to keep the bar end weights as well.

Yes - I do like them, but I don't think they'll fit either - the Corsa endweights bolt into large hexagonal thingies on the end of the bars. The thingies are almost flush with the end of the rubber handlebar grips, so there's no exposed bar around which to fit the mirror clamp. Or am I missing something here?

Robin

I think you are right to be concerned. This sort of use could be very detrimental to the engine. May I suggest a solution: I live in a rural area without any local congestion, I would happily keep the bike here & furthermore would be prepared to exercise it regularly on fast, open roads to ensure it remained in good health.

Ha - nice try Baldini - but I think I'll just keep in low gears (no reflection on your riding style - just might not see him too often, eh?)

Robin

Yes - I do like them, but I don't think they'll fit either - the Corsa endweights bolt into large hexagonal thingies on the end of the bars. The thingies are almost flush with the end of the rubber handlebar grips, so there's no exposed bar around which to fit the  mirror clamp. Or am I missing something here?

Robin

54611[/snapback]

there is 'no room' on the V11 either, but the clamp is so narrow that you can compress the grip just enough so it is a snug & solid fit.

That's all I did, no cutting etc whatsoever.

Let me know if you need more photos / info...

I am curious to know if you are operating your bike close to sea level. I found on the dyno run that my MGS is running very lean. The test was done at sea level and I am presuming that the bike was set up for whatever Mandello or Ghezzi's shop is at - much higher in elevation.

I will be purchasing a PCIIIusb for my bike and plan to work with a local tuner and RacerX to devlop some maps for the MGS. If you are interested I suggest that you contact RacerX. The more input we get the better the maps we can develop.

I am curious to know if you are operating your bike close to sea level. I found on the dyno run that my MGS is running very lean. The test was done at sea level and I am presuming that the bike was set up for whatever Mandello or Ghezzi's shop is at - much higher in elevation.

I will be purchasing a PCIIIusb for my bike and plan to work with a local tuner and RacerX to devlop some maps for the MGS. If you are interested I suggest that you contact RacerX. The more input we get the better the maps we can develop.

54665[/snapback]

Mainly in the Derby Dales - what height are they? I'm guessing not much more than 500 feet amsl at the most, and probably much lower. Denser air than Mandello, especially as it's colder here than there, so perhaps she's running too lean.

Hadn't thought of that aspect!

Mandello is 200 meters above sea level, according the the site from the commune di mandello.

Monitoring the fuel thing isn't a bad thing. I'm going to buy a wideband Lambda meter with logging. Then you can see after a ride what has happend. And adjust.