Top end noise after 7500 RPM run.

soloNH

So here goes, last week while leaving work for the day I wrang out my Scura in 2nd gear to about 7000+ RPM then clicked 3rd and 4th while letting the revs settle down. It was just a roll on the throttle to wind it up as a friend was curious how it would sound. Afterwords I thought that the valves sounded a little louder but not anything un-nerving so I thought a valve clearance check was in order. The right side always seemed a little louder than the left so now was the time to take a look.

(A little history)

I just purchased this 02 in February with 17000 miles, the previous owner said that Mike Rich had done stage II flow work on the heads along with titanium lifters, new valves and guides. He also added a Power commander with custom mapping. I mention this because others have experienced guide wear etc.

Back to the valve adjustment.

The valves were set to US spec., :doh: which bothers me because that setting should make for the quietest valve noise and now the noise on the right is louder than before. It sounds like a tappet is way out of adjustment. I'm going to reset them to world specs. :grin: as most of you recommend. Any suggestions as to what might be going on would be appreciated. I'm really loving this baby and want to make her better. :helmet::race::helmet::race:

Summer is here!!!

Guest davidb

you should know in the 20 minutes it takes to pull the valve covers and inspect the clearance. Maybe a locknut wasn't tight? Oil level low?

If I recall a thread on titanium lifters correctly, there are some issues regarding valve clearances when these are fitted. I suggest a search on the subject might possibly shed some light.

Rob

Guest MikeC

Solo...With regards to the right side being louder than the left. Common to all Guzzi's. The right will always be louder than the left. Much has been discussed on this in the WildGuzzi site.

My California is the same. Don't worry about that and don't bother trying to get the right side as quiet as the left. It'll never happen.

Mike

If you think you might of over-revved it and bent a valve a simple compression test will soon say yay or nay but usually if you've bingled a valve it won't idle and if you're lucky in a couple of weeks your sump will fill up with bits of big-end shell.

Pete

Guzzi valves are loud- that's just the way they are, and one side is always louder than the other.

Do you have Ti pushrods or lifters? If rods, then valve spec is very tight (I'll have to look at home for the numbers) If lifters, I don't know what to tell you- probably factory settings will do since the lifters don't have as much dimensional change.

Guest Nogbad

I did that to a Fiat I had. Changed a radiator hose, had to cut it down a bit and I left the cut end on the wheelarch inside the bonnet (hood). Piece of hose fell into the timing belt and advanced the timing, bingling all 4 inlet valves. :homer:

I did that to a Fiat I had. Changed a radiator hose, had to cut it down a bit and I left the cut end on the wheelarch inside the bonnet (hood). Piece of hose fell into the timing belt and advanced the timing, bingling all 4 inlet valves.  :homer:

54682[/snapback]

Don't feel bad, Fiats are known for swallowing valves and other parts when timing is lost. Great design huh? The 15k belt change interval on 124 series was the best insurance you could buy for that ride. $15 belt vs. pistons, valves and head :doh:

Check the valve clearance...I just had the right side exhaust adjuster fail (see Jun 6 post) after wringing my V11S out - made a sound like two ferrets fighting in a bag of spanners...

Replaced the adjuster and all is well again.

BTW - why is the right side usually noiser..? (I noticed this also)

Gio

Guest Nogbad

BTW - why is the right side usually noiser..? (I noticed this also)

Gio

54690[/snapback]

After reading this I listened to each side of my V11, and I'm damned if I can hear the slightest bit of difference....

• 2 weeks later...

So OK here's the poop. <_ i been very busy of late but finally got to checking things out. the valves were set us spec. went throught valve adjust procedure listed on this sight. detailed and easy follow. although have a good amount experience with was troubled by fact that right side much louder than clearances so tight you would think there be one adjuster out no. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_not.gif" alt=":not:"> So anyway I set everything to World specs. and took her down the road. :race: Life is good. Nice balanced tic-a-tic, runs strong and sings that wonderful tune again.

Thanks for all your help, I'm learning that you guys always come through. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

soloNH, I am pleased everything has turned out well for you. Some forum members have found themselves in all sorts of strife of late. You really feel for them when you read about their woes. On the other hand it is so good to read about the positives of our Guzzi's every now and then.

Rob