It's always the small things....

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

When I first had my V11, the reset knob for the trip odometer was missing, and I assumed the dealer or a previous owner lost it changing a bulb.....

But maybe not.....

I fitted a new knob, cost me £13 which is rather a lot really for what it is. Today, after my usual ride to work, the knob is missing again. Obviously it vibrated loose, undid itself and made a bid for freedom.

So, what is a V11 really like???

Well, it's a lot like an old Brit. It needs constant TLC, and bits fall off while you are riding it.

It's better than an old Brit, because the metal is newer, and it has modern brakes and tyres. If however I bought a new "Norvil" Norton Commando with modern brakes and tyres then the V11 would be no better than a "new" old Brit for certain.

Don't anyone dare to deny this, on here I have seen reports of gear linkages and pedals falling off !

True love is blind, but the truth hurts :luigi: Now where's that Buell salesman's card... :grin:

Guest Nogbad
It's not you Nogbad.  She's just worried about her weight, and is trying to trim a few pounds.  :lol:

one dram at a time.

54789[/snapback]

Sorry. I'm over emotional. It's been a bad week with her:

Sump drain plug marmalized, Swarf in the pan, and I mean real big lumps as well as small shavings of ally, now the reset knob.....

And I got a soaking on the way home. I tell you, hitting a squall of hailstones at 60mph is painful alright.

hitting a squall of hailstones at 60mph is painful

Too right, I ran in to the hail storm on the way back from the BMF. and 60 was about as much as I could bear.

I wear a cordura jacket and it was ouch on the arms (body has a lining), I was then thinking about the protection it gives. Must slim down to get into my leathers.

Can't remember having this problem before. either with leathers or Wax cotton (though would have had more underneath. In the early days it was the open face helmet that made rain hurt at above 50.

Debs (swimob) would agree that love is blind as far as my Guzzi goes :P

Hmmmm, All my Guzzis have always been models of reliability. You want hassle try riding a highly tuned Triumph T500. I eventually went to Guzzi when I got sick of replacing the crappy main bearing bush on the timing side every 8,000 miles. Ride to Paris, come back, split the cases. Ride to Copenhagen, come back, split the cases, Ride to Naples, come back, split the cases, B-o-r-i-n-g!!!!!!!

My Guzzis have never failed to get me home, ever! It's been a close run thing on occasion but I've always got home. My now retired Hot-Rod has close to 300,000 miles on it now so I don't think that's too shabby. As for the age thing? All road type Guzzis, even those that have been warmed over a lot, the fatigue life of all the major commonents is damn near infinite. They are made of metal, they have no idea how old they are! If the crankcases were made out of something silly like magnesium, yes, then there would be an issue but generally? Nah. Solid as a rock.

Pete

...I fitted a new knob..... it vibrated loose...... Now where's that Buell salesman's card...

You fitted a bit...the bit you fitted fell off.... :huh:

Good luck with the Buell ...

KB :sun:

despite all the scerwing around with mine for extra performance, the motor , gearbox etc have all been really top notch and reliable (touching wood). Now the finish of some of the parts has been naff on the other hand ....

Having owned several Brit twins and current 850 Commando, I feel the need to comment.

Really, the only thing these two machines share in equal measure is that they both have bags of character and soul. The Guzzi is much much faster and quicker, with probably close to double the power, but almost the same torque. The handling is just slightly better, although the spine frame is better at high speed stability. The brakes, even on a Norvil Commando I recently tried, are hugely better on the Guzzi.

Another trend these two machines share is the vibration issue. I feel the vibes are worse on the Guzzi, because of 2 reasons. One, the engine is bolted directly to the frame, and two, the M.G. engine is much bigger in capacity, with bigger pistons, and a bigger "hit" on each compression stroke. They both suffer from vibration induced loosenings, and parts dispersal when riding. But the Guzzi has the abilty to literally hammer plastic body parts to bits. I still have my warranty replacement starter cover in the box because I know it will blow the new one apart if I bolt it on.

There is less TLC needed on the Guzzi, and I know the chances of needing to rebuild my Norton engine are greater than having to do the Guzzi. The 850 Norton made great strides in development to make a great little engine, good for 100,000miles on the bottom end and 50,000 miles on the top end, but the Guzzi engine clearly is in the same league of longevity as and airhead beemer, and I plan on running mine to 100,000 kms before I consider pulling a head to de-coke.

As for the rest needle on the odometer, I was warned the first day I picked up my new V11 by the dealer that the thing must NEVER be spun the wrong way to reset the trip, as it will come loose, and fly away.

Ciao, Steve G.