Guzzi & Costello vs Dracula

Orson

After resting up in Prague, I continued back to the west and into Germany. I made my way to the southwestern corner of the country to Freiburg in the Black Forest region avoiding the autobahns as much as possible.

There are some great roads in this part of the country. It's close to Switzerland so the terrain is quite hilly. Sometimes I'd get lost but, the roads were so good that, I didn't care. I was enjoying the ride. Here is a shot of a narrow country lane...about one and a half cars wide...billiard table smooth and twisty. After the rough roads of Romania, I thought I had died and gone to Mandello :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a bunch of squiggly lines on the map in neighboring France so, that is where I headed next. I made my way north thru the Alsace Lorraine region. The villages in this part of France still have a distinctly German flavor to them. I re-entered Germany near Kaiserslautern(sp). I must have hit a local favorite as there were a million bikes out enjoying the warm sunshine. Excellent roads thru darkened forests.

From Kaiseslautern I headed north along the banks of the Rhine. Both sides of the river are strewn with castles making for a spectacular ride. When I reached Koblenz, I hung a left and headed along the Mossel into Luxembourg. Everyone regales the Alps and rightly so but, there's so much more to Europe than just the Alps.

Euro05_092.jpg

I've been thru Luxembourg before but, never took the time to enjoy its sights. This time, I told myself to stop and smell the roses. I took an extra day and spent the entire day riding within the border of the tiny country. What a great decision. Scenic roads along the Mossel and other roads that entered into tunnels of green canopies. Wonderful stuff. I'll defintiely have to pay Luxembourg more mind in the future!

Here's a picture along one of the forest roads.

From Luxembourg to the English Channel, the terrain devolves into rolling farmland. Not too interesting on a motorbike so, I blasted to the coast on l' autoroute, hopped on the 5 P.M. ferry to Dover where I got a hotel room for the night. Met an oldtimer on a KTM 900 v twin modified with a sidecar. He was on his way to an enduro in Wales.

The last day of my trip and I wanted to make it count. I blasted west on the motorway all the way to Bristol near South Wales. This took up half a day so, I had another half day to enjoy as much of Wales as I could. At first, it didn't seem all that special but, the deeper I got into Wales, the more I was captivated by its beauty and its GREAT motorcycling roads. I may have stopped to take more pictures on the last half day than at any other time on the trip. Maybe it was the realization that the trip was coming to an end and stopping to take pictures could somehow prolong it indefinitely. I finally reached my friend's house in Shropshire a little after 6 P.M.

Here's a shot of the Welsh countryside on a gloriously sunny day.

Euro05_213.jpg

Here's is a rough outline of my route. Final tally was 24 riding days, 4 rest days. 4800 miles / 7500 km. It seemed like a lot more than that. I guess it was those rough Romanian roads that made it seem longer. I got one speeding citation in Romania but, the policeman turned out to be a biker and he tore up the ticket :D

The Guzzi only had a few minor burps. One time in the Czech Republic, I downshifted to first and I felt the lever didn't spring back up. When I released the clutch, it popped back up. Whew...I was dreading the broken spring syndrome. Maybe that was a warning sign that the spring is about to go? Otherwise, I had a few false neutrals while upshifting. I had always had false neutrals while downshifting but, this was the first time I ever encountered false neutrals while upshifting :unsure: I think my disc brake rotors are warped both front and rear. Lastly, at one point the speedometer needle started to vibrate back and forth. I thought I was about to lose my speedometer but, after a short while, it smoothed out and never did it again for the rest of the trip. Maybe another warning sign? :unsure:

The rear Pirelli Diablo lasted the whole trip! I was worried I might have to make a stop along the way to buy a new tire. I watched it closely and it performed great. It looks like it might have 1000 km left on it but, you never know...when they go, they go fast. Total distance on the tire is about 8500 km / 5450 miles.

Lastly, I have to praise the Guzzi. Other than the few minor burps, it performed flawlessly through the entire trip. I'm coming from an FJ 1100 which was the benchmark for sport tourers a few years back and, I have to say that I enjoy the Guzzi as much if not more than the FJ. The added dollops of character help a lot. It really makes sport touring a joy.

image_map.gif

Guest Nogbad

Great story! Really enjoyed reading it on a monday morning instead of working!!

I downshifted to first and I felt the lever didn't spring back up. When I released the clutch, it popped back up. ...... Otherwise, I had a few false neutrals while upshifting. I had always had false neutrals while downshifting but, this was the first time I ever encountered false neutrals while upshifting :

54886[/snapback]

My bike occasionally suffers from a sticking lever, identical symptoms, let the clutch out and it springs back up. I only ever seem to get false neutrals on the upshifts.

We shall have to see how it is after the recall mods in a couple of weeks time.

Hi Orson,

thanks for sharing - I've always liked travel stories like yours. Next time head up north to Scandinavia, you can certainly find some B&B amongst the Scandinavian riders here on this forum.

You're right abot Italy (and France): They are definitely two of the most beautyful countries in Europe (and the food and wine ain't that bad either.... :food: )

Cheers

Søren

PS: Going to France in two weeks but I'm taking the car 'cos the entire family is going :bbblll:

Next time head up north to Scandinavia, you can certainly find some B&B amongst the Scandinavian riders here on this forum.

That's my plan :) That's why I'm keeping it at my friend's house in the UK then, hopefully next summer I can try to ride as much of Scandinavia as possible.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures :mg:

Great trip, with time to enjoy it all.

I just rush about looking at the vanishing point of the curves and don't really take it all in. I must learn to stop and take pictures as well.

I enjoy your travellogs and sat there Saturday morning at work hiting the refresh button waiting for the next bit. Now do you type the text direct or do have it all planned out and on another program that you cut and paste from. Or is it that I type like a snail.

Looking forward to your next trip.

Now do you type the text direct or do have it all planned out and on another program that you cut and paste from. Or is it that I type like a snail.

I'll usually select a picture to post then, type from my memories of when I took the photo then add whatever other tidbits of information comes flowing back into my memory banks.

A lot of people keep daily notes. I should do this but, I'm too lazy or tired at the end of the day. I just rely on my memory which is getting less & less reliable :)

Fantastic. Lovely.

If I understand right, the bike is stored, so you aren't riding it all the time. What was it like, then, to get on it and ride for over 20 days, pretty much non-stop? I mean physically.

Are you thinking of heading to Scotland at the end of next week?

Fantastic. Lovely.

If I understand right, the bike is stored, so you aren't riding it all the time. What was it like, then, to get on it and ride for over 20 days, pretty much non-stop? I mean physically.

Are you thinking of heading to Scotland at the end of next week?

55692[/snapback]

Yes, the bike is in a friend's barn in Shropshire. Hopefully a family of mice aren't making a home within its bowels :D

The bike seems to fit me fine. I'm 6'2" with longish arms. I rode 8 hours a day with no major aches or pains other than normal fatigue. I've left the bike bone stock. I have no issues with the seat or bar vibration. It's character and style seem to fit me to a T.

I would *love* to make it up to Scotland. Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend :angry: Maybe next time. I'd love to ride with a bunch of Guzzis.

6'2" with longish arms. I rode 8 hours a day with no major aches or pains

55735[/snapback]

The fairing must help of course – I find that the head & neck take a battering on the Scura when travelling quickly.

I made my way to Prague...another fine city along a river much like Budapest but, with a few more tourists. Still, it was a wonderful place to visit and I took a rest day here.

Great travel, nice pics , I'll keep reading this since I checked only a few lines.

ITALY is indeed one very beautyfull contry. I m much surpased of south and middle Germany that is top of my taste so far.

Praque, I have heared so many of this city post any pics of you have.

Great... great. thread , keep posting.

Want to do also some east-central France, by best conditions this year.

Didn't read so far, but what kind of navigation did you use (maps , GPS,...ect.ect.) and what are your experiences with it in that trip...ect.ect.

:bier::mg:

Want to do also some east-central France, by best conditions this year.

Didn't read so far, but what kind of navigation did you use (maps , GPS,...ect.ect.) and what are your experiences with it in that trip...ect.ect.

:bier:  :mg:

56011[/snapback]

from a strictly motorcycling point of view, where scenery is taken out of the equation, the south of France has some of the best motorcycling roads around. Billiard table smooth, constant radius curves for miles and miles. Big fun :race:

As far as navigating...I'm strictly old school. After I cross a border, I stop at a service station and buy a map and stuff it into my tank bag. Granted, those aren't the best maps to use but, they get me where I want to go.

As far as GPS, I think I'm a bit of a luddite. I dunno, it feels like I'm having my hand held if I'm relying on a GPS to lead me around. I get lost on my own...I can get un-lost on my own :D I usually end up getting lost at least once a day, sometimes more :homer: but, that's part of the adventure!