Transmission missing between 5th & 6th gear

Guest freeman

Guest freeman

I have a 2002 V11 LeMans. I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble when shifting up between 5th & 6th Gear (sometimes between 4th & 5th). My bike seems to hit "neutral" quite often when shifting in these gears. Its a real Pain-in-the-Behind when I'm pushing hard and its all of the sudden misses during shifting.

Any suggestions? Or is it just a Guzzi Thing to live with? :bbblll:

I had a problem recently on a particular day when it seemed I was getting false neutrals when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Happened 3, maybe 4 times trying to deal with traffic.

Later, I started with the simple stuff liking shifting technique and since have had no problem since changing my technique to be a little more deliberate and positive, particularly in downshifts. The 6-speed seems light and quick in shift action and so it's tempting to give'er a nudge and expect that's enough.

If you are not using synthetic, you may wish to.

Do you find it mis-shifts with the engine warm or cold. If only when hot, it could indicate the oil is too thin and vice-versa if when cold.

Other people get better shifting after cleaning the shifter linage.

I have a 2002 V11 LeMans. I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble when shifting up between 5th & 6th Gear (sometimes between 4th & 5th).  My bike seems to hit "neutral" quite often when shifting in these gears. Its a real Pain-in-the-Behind when I'm pushing hard and its all of the sudden misses during shifting.

Any suggestions? Or is it just a Guzzi Thing to live with?  :bbblll:

55029[/snapback]

Freeman, I would suggest a slight pressure under the shift lever(a slight preload) this should help.Good luck!

Guest Nogbad

I find the gearbox is pretty good. Occasionally a mis-shift if it has got really hot.

If you shift positively it is a nice gearbox. Certainly better than many and a lot less clunky than older Guzzis with the 5 speed one.

I used to miss occasionally coming down from 6th to 5th. On a trip my one shifter lever bolt lost it's nut. After I lubed and tightened the entire mechanism I haven't had the problem. I suspect that the loose bolt may have been the problem all along. Check that linkage!