Scura clutch noise again (yawn)

moscowphil

Just how noisy is OK for these clutches? Mine was OK for the first couple of thousand miles, but now (4,300 miles) makes the most horrible clack-clack-clack noise when ticking over in neutral (hot or cold) that disappears when I pull the clutch lever. Strangely, if I then let the clutch out again the noise can be either quiter or louder than before. It's starting to make a similar noise when under light load too, but not when accelerating. Clutch is dragging as well.

So what do you all reckon - should I pull it apart to investigate or hope for the best?

Guest Rich Fernandez
Just how noisy is OK for these clutches? Mine was OK for the first couple of thousand miles, but now (4,300 miles) makes the most horrible clack-clack-clack noise when ticking over in neutral (hot or cold) that disappears when I pull the clutch lever. Strangely, if I then let the clutch out again the noise can be either quiter or louder than before. It's starting to make a similar noise when under light load too, but not when accelerating. Clutch is dragging as well.

So what do you all reckon - should I pull it apart to investigate or hope for the best?

55055[/snapback]

Don't know what to tell you except my Scura does the same with about the same miles. :luigi:

I'll echo that. My clutch is also rattling like hell but works find though. I wouldn't bother taking the clutch apart.

Søren

All the noises you describe sound same as mine (13k miles).

But if yours is dragging there's something wrong somewhere. Don't recall any mention of dragging by those who had their's break up. Is their any sign of oil in the clutch housing. It could show up underneath & at timing inspection plug, could be seal gone, oil contaminating clutch...any clutch slip?

What can cause clutch drag on a hydraulic clutch?

KB :sun:

It's starting to make a similar noise when under light load too, but not when accelerating. Clutch is dragging as well.

55055[/snapback]

Mine is the same. Under just the right conditions of very slight acceleration on level ground it'll make a bit of rattling noise. I think we're basicaly creating the same no-load situation on the clutch that exists in neutral. I wouldn't worry about it.

The clutch dragging? I don't know about that. Mine's never had that problem.

John Koester

55055[/snapback]

Mine makes the same noises - has done throughout its 21K miles - I was told that the clutch is similar to the Ducati clutch - the noise is similar too. I was assured by Guzzi expert that it is a feature of that type of clutch and is not a fault. In fact, I rather like the noise, but then I used to fly navy helicopters - noise is comforting - it's the silences that are really frightening!!!

Robin

Mine makes the same noises - has done throughout its 21K miles - I was told that the clutch is similar to the Ducati clutch - the noise is similar too. I was assured by Guzzi expert that it is a feature of that type of clutch and is not a fault. In fact, I rather like the noise, but then I used to fly navy helicopters - noise is comforting - it's the silences that are really frightening!!!

Robin

55070[/snapback]

"We are living in an age in which the ground is shifting and the foundations are shaking. I cannot answer for other times and places. Perhaps it has always been so. We know it is true today."

Laing, R.D. The Politics of Experience and The Bird of Paradise. London: Penguin Books Ltd.

"We are living in an age in which the ground is shifting and the foundations are shaking. I cannot answer for other times and places. Perhaps it has always been so. We know it is true today."

Laing, R.D.  The Politics of Experience and The Bird of Paradise. London: Penguin Books Ltd.

55073[/snapback]

"That the birds of worry and care fly around our heads - this we cannot change. That they make their nests in our hair - this we can prevent." Chinese proverb

The clacking noises are the same for my Scura- Including the quiet to clacking noise post 1500 kms for the relacment Ram clutch. I think that the screeching sound mentioned in another post may be indicative of a problem emerging. I had that noise just before my melt down of the previous Ram clutch.

Love the feel/performance of the clutch- the clacking noise is cool at the lights.

Regards

Bruce

:bike:

"That the birds of worry and care fly around our heads - this we cannot change. That they make their nests in our hair - this we can prevent." Chinese proverb

55081[/snapback]

"That the birds of worry and care fly around our heads - this we cannot change. That they make their guano on our Guzzi - this we can't prevent." Belfast proverb

"That the birds of worry and care fly around our heads - this we cannot change. That they make their guano on our Guzzi - this we can't prevent." Belfast proverb

55164[/snapback]

:D:D:D

As we say in Denmark: "Don't shit in your own nest!"

Søren