aprilia to guzzi?

orangeokie

Repsolaprilia-1.jpg

Howdy. This was my 2001 aprilia SL mille just a few short months ago. It was my pride and joy. The bike I had decided would last me the rest of my life. I had spent the entire winter wrenching on her to transform her into my Rossi Repsol Replica . . . just having fun, if you know what I mean. You can read the whole story here if you are interested.

Well, after just 150 miles on my first ride of 2005, I totaled it.

Repsol4.jpg

The bottom line is I am now beginning my research on a replacement bike in about a year or so. I have a long row to hoe with my left wrist problem. My choices are the following:

Triumph Thunderbird Sport

Buell XB12R

Ducati DS1000

Motoguzzi V11 LeMans (The bike I first [pre-aprilia] lusted after except at $14,995, it was out of reach financially.)

Thats why I'm here . . . to absorb the knowledge on this forum to help me develop the same relationship with a MG V11 as I had with my poor Falco.

Thats why I'm here . . . to absorb the knowledge on this forum to help me develop the same relationship with a MG V11 as I had with my poor Falco.

55261[/snapback]

That is a loaded statement, mate! You will find lots here and it covers a very broad spectrum - Al Roethlisberger to Tx Redneck - Callison to Enzo - and it is all a bloody good read. I hope you enjoy and I hope you find what you are looking for!!

dunno... I have both !!!

I am a recovering bike shopaholic ! Of your 4, I'd scrap the Triumph.. but that's personal style.. I really like the Speed Triple and the Thruxton.

You'll probably want to think about whatever is easiest on the broken wrist.. that'll take a couple of years to be fully right, and even longer if you go the clip on route with your next bike..

Personally? I saw the MV Agusta Brutale in grey w/ red frame at MunroeMotors in San Fran and am in LOVE.. woo hoo

Good luck mending !

dunno...  I have both !!!

I am a recovering bike shopaholic !  Of your 4, I'd scrap the Triumph.. but that's personal style.. I really like the Speed Triple and the Thruxton.

You'll probably want to think about whatever is easiest on the broken wrist..  that'll take a couple of years to be fully right, and even longer if you go the clip on route with your next bike..

Personally?  I saw the MV Agusta Brutale in grey w/ red frame at MunroeMotors in San Fran and am in LOVE..  woo hoo

Good luck mending !

55264[/snapback]

I saw a Benneli tNt and now I'm in love too! I actually think it is a sexier bike than the MV. Anyhoo back to the topic, I think a V11 would be the perfect replacement for the Falco. There are a few ex Aprilia riders here (me being one). It's a natural step I think. Another Italian V Twin but more relaxed and more character.

vibration is supposed to help bones grow/heal so, a LeMans is just what the Dr. ordered :luigi:

The Guzzi is the best bike in the world for people who like to wrench. In fact it is so enjoyable to wrench on that people should pay us for such a privelege.

Self adjusting valves was the dumbest thing Guzzi ever did.

And to ride a Guzzi is sublime. :grin:

. . . I am a recovering bike shopaholic !  Of your 4, I'd scrap the Triumph.. but that's personal style.. I really like the Speed Triple and the Thruxton.. . .Good luck mending !

55264[/snapback]

Tim, I agree about the Thruxton. I was able to test ride one earlier this year. I prefer the TBS engine and suspension. I would put the the Thruxton clipons on the TBS and turn it into a cafe style racer (if I went that route.) Thanks for the kind words re. my injury.

Phil

. . .  I think a V11 would be the perfect replacement for the Falco. There are a few ex Aprilia riders here (me being one). It's a natural step I think. Another Italian V Twin but more relaxed and more character.

55267[/snapback]

I agree 100%. I'm not a follower when it comes to motorcycles, and the V11 really trips my trigger visually.

Guest Nogbad

The T'bird sport is the low risk choice, but not so interesting. A freind of mine had an orange one. It would be the most comfortable with a stiff arm. All the below are not so comfortable and all are heavy on the wrists in order of XB12, V11, 1000DS worst being the Duke. The Buell was slightly more upright feeling than my V11.

Firebolt XB12R is yummy and I want one after rashly getting a test ride, but you have to admit it doesn't have touring potential like the V11. Massive grin factor though.

Ducati 1000DS is as achingly beautiful as the V11 - BUT I have heard that the air-cooled Duke engines last 20,000 miles and that's that. Regardless of how often you change the oil.

V11 - a good one will probably go on for ever, a bad one will mean lots of fettling, but if you like that, it's an easy bike to work on, that much is true. There are very few stories of catastrophic (i.e. expensive and spectacular) failures, mostly it's niggly stuff like seals and springs and electrical, although you do occasionally see stories of exploding clutches and transmissions.

I really like mine to ride, but have no real workshop facilities, and can only own one bike at a time. Ideally, I think a V11 is probably a "second bike" sort of machine, although I am commuting on mine this summer, and it hasn't let me down so far in 7000 miles.

V11s all seem to be different, and have different problems.

Sorry to hear you totaled your Aprilia.

Reviewing the links regarding the bike and the accident I see that you're in the Omaha, NE area. I'm located in Lincoln and have a 2003 V11 LeMans. Once your wrist is healed contact me if you'd like to take it for a test ride. I've only had mine since March, but am very happy with it so far. :mg: However, I moved up to it from a Guzzi Cal III touring bike and not a sport bike, so your perspective will be different.

Good luck on the recovery!