6 spped gearbox conversion

wambiker

Hi all, my brother-in-law has a Mk1 LeMans with a knackered gearbox, and after riding my V11 we were discussing the possibilities of fitting a six speed box to the lemon. I'm sure we can't be the first to think of this so was wondering if anyone had any details of what is involved with this conversion.

Cheers Gary :mg:

In the spine frame it's not a big deal. But the tonti frame might be more of a problem.

problem is the shorther gearbox, combined with the place where the driveshaft comes out of it. It would need some beer and a long winter, combined with excelent mecanical skils.

The spineframe conversion is documented on my homepage.

If he wants an easyer solution, I have a centauro 5 speed gearbox for sale.

Contact Todd Eagan at www.guzzitech.com

He has researched this more than anyone on the planet.

He will know what works, and what doesn't.

55536[/snapback]

I think Todd tried it and it was going to be too much work. The driveshaft exits in a different location so alot of modification needs to be done to make it work. Also the final drive ratio is different. I do have a 6 speed transmission if you need one.

Mike

The simple answer is that no, it can't be done. Yes youcould probably butcher and hack and eventually get it into the old Tonti frame but so much would have to be changed that you'd essentially be building a completely new motorbike :grin: .

There is, or at least was, a six speed gear-set produced by someone, (Dutch????) that fitted into the five speed casing at one time. To me it's about as neccessary as a parachute in a submarine, good lord, a lot of Ambo owners reckon that the five speed was an un-neccessary complication :D , lets face it, one of the Guzzi motor's great strength is it's wide spread of useable power and torque. who needs more gears?

There is also the matter of different splineforms on the various shafts and things, it would be a nightmare. Just rebuild the old five speeder, shim it up properly and fit a light flywheel. That will improve a standard early LeMans out of sight with no serious farting about!!!! :2c:

Pete

To me it's about as neccessary as a parachute in a submarine, good lord, a lot of Ambo owners reckon that the five speed was an un-neccessary complication

After one has posessed a trusty Vert he will find the other 4 speeds to be overkill. :P