V11 Gearbox Spring

GuzzBun

Today the gearbox hairspring went again - the third failure in 21000 miles - each has lasted approximately the same mileage too - around 7000. Usual symptoms - unable to change up to third or beyond. I thought after the last failure that a modified/better spring had been inserted - obviously not!! :angry:

Is replacing the spring a job that I can do myself? I'm quite adept at mechanical repairs (done UJs and other similar dismantling tasks on a Cali) Will it require any special tools? I have the V11 workshop manual.

Blasted thing!!!

It's easy. Get gearboxoil out, dismount starter engine. Then behind that you find a door. unscew all imbus scews with the same head. Then you are ready to pull the thing to yourside. There are soem modified parts available, I don't know if they are mounted in your bike. In the mgs they changed again some parts there, look in your manual. Maybe you can mount the mgs01 parts, since they are the latest update available.

There are innumerable tips on doing this job here - try search. It's subject of a Guzzi service bulletin. Mark at Twiggers knows about this problem - he told us about the fix - if you don't fancy the job try him.

KB :sun:

Cannon Racecraft (www.cannonracecraft.com) here in the states makes an improved pawl spring. Buy two. Only because everyone knows that if you have one in the toolkit or in the tankbag, you'll never need it.

Welcome to the inner sanctum of Guzzi ownership...

And if you've made it this far in life, you'll be able to handle the repair yourself.

Phil

:race:

Thanks for all your help guys - I read all the articles on replacing the V11 gear selector spring, and decided to let the professionals do the job. On Monday morning I rang Mark at Twiggers

and explained the problem. He said “Bring her over and we’ll sort it out” I rode the 15 miles to Loughborough with no problems - all gears working fine - typical. Mark opened the gearbox and found that the spring was intact - but that a circlip retaining one of the selector cogs had fallen off, allowing the selector cogs to become intermittenly disengaged. The circlip was lying in the botom of the box, and no other damage was found. The spring pivot was measured and found to be 16mm, so he filed it down and fitted a new spring anyway. When refitting the circlip he noticed that it was the wrong size and very loose, so replaced it with the correct one. Now the Scura is working fine!

Points to note:

1. Could the freed selector cog had moved off its shaft and jammed into the gears? If so, I could have had a nasty rear end lock-up?

2. Do dealers come any better than Mark at Twiggers? He took my bike in at short notice and repaired it - and noticed the problem with the circlip - all just two days before he was due to go away on holiday.

3. The circlip was last disturbed 7000 miles ago when the spring broke last time - it would seem that the so-called professional mechanic used the wrong circlip to secure the selector cog.

All’s well that ends well - and I have my best babe available to blast the weekend away.

Thanks again.

Robin

3. The circlip was last disturbed 7000 miles ago when the spring broke last time

Robin

56227[/snapback]

I might question reusing the circlips, fresh ones make more sense, but that one that slipped off might have been replaced last time with the wrong size. :huh2: