Header

big unit

My left hand side header is cracked near the head exhaust clamp area with 19700 km travelled. I have ordered a new header from my dealer.

I hope it will not happen again, if so I will try an aftermarket supplier.

Has anyone used an aftermarket supplier.

Both of mine did it after 3,800miles , rode on for another 7 months. Took dealer 4 months to get the right headers in. They were welded a week before the new ones arrived. The welding was a good near invisable repair and I would recommend it.

Tomsp didn't get his welded in time and the pipe split completely very quickly in a matter of days. Brian Robson welded his but he had done loads of miles and continued to do so.

If you keep your pipes highly polished the weld mightn't be invisable. But was hidden between my blueing and other discolouration.

With the issues of fit of the new headers and balance pipe I wish I'd stuck with the welded repair.

Yeah, this seems to be relatively common.... or at least "not rare". My dealer even brought it up briefly as an aside during a conversation some time ago, as he has seen a few.

I have to wonder if people/dealers are somehow "torquing" the headers when trying to get the exhaust system aligned, etc?? ....and this is causing stress=cracking??

...or maybe this is just a symptom of a light exhaust system, and some just break :huh2:

al