Oil Pressure Switch

big unit

My original oil switch packed it in. I sourced an aftermarket supplier.

The problem is that the aftermarket switches I got fail by leaking oil between the plastic and the metal.

I priced an original Oil Switch from my Moto Guzzi dealer which is $160 Australian dollars ($121 US), I will not pay that amount of money for an oil switch.

I don't know why it is this price but maybe there might be a loss in the language translation, as in a missplacement of the decimal point 160.00 instead of 16.00

So I am in the process of repairing the leaky switch and sourcing another alternate make of switch.

I will see if a Ducati oil switch can do the job.

The oil pressure switch works by lifting a contact and breaking a circuit to make the light go out. If the centre part fails, fall off and oil starts peeing out, you will get no indication of low pressure until the engine starts to lock up. Not a place to bodge or go cheap. Either buy good quality or fit a bolt in the hole.

mike

Guest Nogbad
My original oil switch packed it in. I sourced an aftermarket supplier.

The problem is that the aftermarket switches I got fail by leaking oil between the plastic and the metal.

I priced an original Oil Switch from my Moto Guzzi dealer which is $160 Australian dollars ($121 US), I will not pay that amount of money for an oil switch.

I don't know why it is this price but maybe there might be a loss in the language translation, as in a missplacement of the decimal point 160.00 instead of 16.00

So I am in the process of repairing the leaky switch and sourcing another alternate make of switch.

I will see if a Ducati oil switch can do the job.

56110[/snapback]

Here is a link to some industrial pressure switches with a G1/4 (1/4 BSPT) thread. You may need an adaptor nipple, but these are available from most pneumatic and hydraulic factors. Switching point should be about 0.5 bar (7 psi)

Pressure Switch

You want the 0166 "SUCO" switch

While there is no need to go super-cheap on an oil pressure sending unit, there is also absolutely no need to spend AU $160 on one. That is an outrageous price for a part that is known to fail regularly on Guzzis. I replaced mine 12,000 miles ago and I'm replacing it again now. It lasted as long as my taillight bulb lasted (about 1 year). I'm not sure about AU sources, but here in the US you can purchase one direct from a dealer for around $20 USD or from MG Cycle for around $10 USD.

I bet shipping on the $10 part is less than $100 AU, so buy three of 'em and be done for awhile.

Actually, if you buy three, you are guaranteed that the first one will never fail again.

Todd Haven posted on this topic on a different list- he said he carries them for a reasonable price as well-

www.mphcycles.com

there's an email on their front page.