Radio headphones

richard100t

I decided to wear a set of earpiece headphones tonight with a walkman. I still wore my helmet so no one needs to lecture me :lol: I thought it would be cool to have music while riding, but it just seems to take something away from the experience. Maybe it would be ok for a long ride across state or something like that. Has anyone else tried this? I know its probably slightly unsafe to wear headphones & ride also. I thought it was a little weird to ride that bike & not really hear & feel the engine :wacko: I'd like to hear others experience with this if anyone has a :2c: they would like to throw in.

On rare occasions I'll get some tunes going on....only during a boring highway ride. Though I definitely don't think this helps my hearing at all...even with a nice "squishy" (sorry, not sure how else to describe) in-ear head phones and good full face helmet. As long as you don't wear them in traffic; enjoy the tunes. If you're especially hardcore, you can pay the $250 for the custom ear plugs with headphones built in (westone.com). I have their standard custom plugs...can't justify the fancy ones with headphones.

I'm old-fashioned when it comes to this question- I don't like headphones. I find the music is too distracting even though riding is mostly visual. If you really get into the music and start drumming on the dashboard or something then it can be a real problem. But as you said- I like the sound of the motor and it's music enough for me.

Guest leo in saint louis

I almost always am listening to the radio or a book on tape when riding. I prefer the Koss "the Plug" earphones. If you want helmet mounted, there's a very low power speaker called the mini-blaster which is adequately powered by walkman type radios.

I've ridden my bike 130,000 miles, and I can hear and feel it just fine. I always know when something has changed

I almost always am listening to the radio or a book on tape when riding.  I prefer the Koss "the Plug" earphones.  If you want helmet mounted, there's a very low power speaker called the mini-blaster which is adequately powered by walkman type radios.

I've ridden my bike 130,000 miles, and I can hear and feel it just fine.  I always know when something has changed

56330[/snapback]

leo...I've had a few pair of the Koss headphones (lost a set and repurchased). You can buy them under a Radioshack label (though says Koss on hardware) for $19.95 with pouch and 3 types of squishy inserts. Even with music off, they have a db reduction similar to cheap ear plugs.

I'm old-fashioned when it comes to this question- I don't like headphones.  I find the music is too distracting even though riding is mostly visual.  If you really get into the music and start drumming on the dashboard or something then it can be a real problem.  But as you said- I like the sound of the motor and it's music enough for me.

56295[/snapback]

I'm with JRT. Music is too distracting for me. Weirdly enough, I go faster when chewing gum. Spitting the gum out at high speed can be a bit disconcerting though.