hot motors- lean conditions

docc

I was viewing some posts that started with voigtstr that went cold last month. I thought it was worth reposting to keep awareness up.

If your Guzzis running hot its not happy . Read," it could eat itself up!" Of course these bikes are set up lean to get through Ellis Island. Pinging is dangrous detonation that erodes the piston tops .

New , my sport pinged on some fuels, some conditions. I synched the throttle bodies, removed the carbon cans ( off road use only) , and 'tweaked ' the throttle position sensor. Voila! No lean behavior at all!

My dealer copped some set up from some 'tuner.' It was so rich my plugs sooted. I think he was trying to fuel cool my mtor to prevent an engine claim. It would routinely 'pop' upon hot restart (like ata gas stop) and blow the right throttle body off! Very embarassing and annoying.

Finally, I reset the TPS at a more conservative setting. No pops, no hot or lean condition signs (no piston erosion ?) . The procedure requires a digital volt meter, "back probing" the computer ( putting a couple straight pins in right connectors ) and setting the TPS. The ECU basically sets the curve a little richer as if the motor was at alittle higher rpm. Very easy very cheap , very effective,

Why don't 'dealers' (I want to call them pushers- same thing-right?) do this? My dealers' set-up philosophy ( Mixture, sychronization) seemed to be , "hey, it starts ,it runs-don't mess with it!"

We can do better than that guys! These bikes run GREAT when they're set up right. Don't let a lean condition eat your motor!

Let the big dog eat! docc

Some dealer mechanics might need some training.

They have the software, so they don't even have to back probe for TPS voltage.

It is a bit of a pain to set the TPS to 150mV with linkage disconnected and set screws backed out.

But, the results might cure many of our woes.

PowerCommander owners should have the bike tuned to strict tuning tolerances before getting a customized map made. Otherwise when it starts to act up, they might not know what to set the TPS and valves to.

Then again, maybe the dealers are tuning to spec and the manufacturing tolerances are so off that stock specs won't cut it for all bikes.

I had an offer of the software. I could tell ya where I got it but then I'd hafta............no, never mind that.

At the time I had no 'puter. Now with a pc I wonder - does the v11 have a USB port? Or some other kind of jack? Jeez, that would sure beat 'backprobing' . Later bikes the ecu is mounted with the connector down making it even a little tougher (What's that up-probing?)

Dave Richardson's book "Guzziology" is just invaluable. The FI section is a bit confusing but that's certainly no fault of Dave's. His advice on synchronizing at the off-idle point really smooths the shift transitions. Taking all the extra time to get the synch PERFECT makes an unbelievable difference. That and richening the mixture reasonably makes these bikes so much less fussy.

Ride well, docc

For those looking for the Motorbike Diagnostic Software Tool

http://www.klsupply.com/Performance/mdst/

They have or had a Palm version of the software, for less money, but I don't see it there now.

You can download their software for free, but to get the key and connective hardware( RS232 serial interface box), you need to shell out the cash.

They also have a scantool, that does not appear to be as useful.

Rumor has it the Feracci may also have something in the works....

Evoluzione has software in the works, and some ready.

They already have the diagnostic software for the Palm, and are supposed to have the whole she-bang, including adjusting timing, ready this Spring.

...at least, that's the last I heard from Ken.

al

Ill bet if a guy had all the hardware , software and time he could really tune the wildcats out of this motor. In the meanwhile, if your bike pings and runs hot a little tweak on the TPS really does wonders. And this for very little investment .

When starting with my '00 sport it would pop (intake backfire?) pulling away from a stop. Very discocerting as the bike would try to stand up and change direction. Lousy in a left hander. This grouchy behavior quit with the removal of the carbon cans. The only explanation I have is that the

stock setup runs a vacuum tude from one intake to the other . That can't be good - to have the intakes tied together.

There are some obvious drawbacks to the mod but, otherwise, some benefits. Tune well, ride well! docc

I don't think the cross sectional area of the cross coupling is sufficient to actually have much of an effect. That and if the balance is good, there will be little actual transfer between the two cylinders. Some, but not enough to be noticeable.

Carl,

That's a good point and I have to agree. I just couldn't think of any other reason why that change would have made any difference. I didn't expect it to change how the bike ran. I really did it more in the interest of purity and the cafe aesthetic.

I have read that the check valve on the evap setup can cause tank suction. Although I hadn't experienced that, I wonder - could that vacuum affect fuel delivery? If so that may be another source of the lean condition common to these motors.

Thanks for the feedback, docc

If you think the V11 Sports behave oddly, you should own a Sport 1100i. The FI is positively evil. So much so that Cliff Jeffries in Australia built and programmed his own ECU. He even went so far as to make it closed loop as well. So far, there are three of them. Two in Australia and one here in California on the Bugswatter. I think my bike has issues a little more dire than just the ECU though. As things get straightened out, I will make progress reports. Should you want to read up on it, you can peruse the entire gestation of Cliff's ECU at http://www.jefferies-au.org/My16M/index.htm