Leaking Bevel Drive

Guest anawrocki

Guest anawrocki

Last night after work I took the long way home on my Ballabio in search of a new launch for my HobieCat and when I stopped for a bite to eat I noticed somthing slippery looking in a couple spots on my back tire. Upon closer inspection after letting it sit while I ate I noticed I am now leaking a bit from the bevel drive at a pretty good rate. It is still under warranty so I am going to top it off and take it in today. I am wondering how common this is and how long it gennerally takes dealers to get replacment parts. The bike only has 2400 miles on it.

You didn't say where on the bevel box you saw it leaking but I would be chary of overfilling these things at all. One of the German forums (pinwand) a few years back said that Guzzi typically overstated the fill requirements by about 10%. Don't know if that's true, but if you or the dealer topped off the rear box when the bike was NOT on a stand with the rear wheel entirely dependent (hanging) and the bike vertical, then I would go so far as to say that the box was probably overfilled a bit and the vent did its job properly. You may not have a problem at all. OTOH, having the dealer check it out is the correct course of action - but ask how they check the fluid level. When I check mine (vertical and wheel hanging) I fill until I can just feel the fluid at the edge of the fill level check opening and absolutely no more than that. Other forum members have experienced seal failures on the rear box but for choices of problems, overfilling would be preferable to waiting for parts. I hope it's nothing more than too much fluid as that is something that is easily remedied.

Guest anawrocki

Definently not the breather. :( After parking the bike it keeps dripping out the bottom. It just started happening. No signs of leaks from 600 Mile Service until now. If I wipe everything down it is back again after a short ride. I just dropped it off at the dealer, they said they will look on Wednesday. They will have a nice puddle on their shop floor by then.

I've recently replaced the seal, after a big leakage. They seem to wear out in a manner that is unrelated to mileage done. The new seal is ribbed on its outer side. The original had a smooth side (where it fits in housing). I don't know that this would make much difference though. I'm sure that if it leaks, it leaks past the (single) lip on the inner side. The steel that the seal faces against doesn't look like the smoothest, finest, most unblemished piece of steel surface that I've ever seen.

How long did it take to get replacment part?

56772[/snapback]

Most dealers in UK seem to keep it in stock, so it was overnight post. I made the mistake of ordering through a local shop (see related post from a few weeks ago, probably in 'Dealers' forum). I should have ordered direct from Motomecca or similar.

I've looked up the other post, here. The seal is probably quite low cost, though I paid nearly £13 for it.

When I got the new seal I took it to a bearing factor to get a part number for future reference. He couldn't get this particular seal as it has a ribbed outer side. The part that he had listed has a smooth side. I think he said that he didn't see why it would need the ribs. When I took the old seal out, it had a smooth side anyway – so it would be worth checking at a local bearing factor – if you've got the time to keep the bike off the road while you take the seal out and check this.

Guest anawrocki

Bad news from the dealer, parts are backordered, nothing state side available. At least it will be covered under waranty, but they could not give an ETA on the parts. Sounds like I should expect it to take at least 1 month.

What about trying at a bearing factor? The newer(?) seal with the ribbed side might be specially made(?), but you could probably get the smooth sided version, as was originally fitted.

Otherwise, you might be able to get it mail order yourself, quicker than waiting for the dealer to get it.

Bad news from the dealer, parts are backordered, nothing state side available. At least it will be covered under waranty, but they could not give an ETA on the parts. Sounds like I should expect it to take at least 1 month.

56954[/snapback]

I just happen to have an extra bevel drive lying around. Sans pinion gear lol I may be interested in parting with it :whistle: It doesnt leak but you'd have to swap the gears. Pm me if your interested

Guest anawrocki

Thanks for the ideas / offer, I guess for now I am just going to wait a bit since it is under waranty. I will just have to sail my HobieCat since I sold my spare bike a couple months back.

My neighbor has an old KZ1000 and a Water Buffalo that I have done a bunch of wrenching on if I get desperate.

Look, this is absurd! The seal is, maybe, a type not readily available because Guzzi in their infinite wisdom bought a load of oddballs, (Probably at a knock down price.). To the nbest of my knowledge the seal is exactly the same size as earlier seals and as such is probably available a any bearing factor for pennies. The idea that you should be advised to park your vehicle in the height of the rioding season because a seal has blown is absurd!!!!! I'll do a bit of checking, just in case I've made a boo=boo, (Which I doubt!) and if needs be I'll send you a bloody seal, although this idea strikes me as cretinous in the extreme.

If your dealer is so idiotic as to prize their 30c. mark up over a happy cuustomer???? Get another dealer!!!!!!. There are very few parts in a Guzzi that are *specific*, most of them are commonly available 'Off the shelf' bits. Sorry, this enrages me more than you can possibly imagine!!!!!! It's just f*cking stupid!!!!!!

Pete

There are very few parts in a Guzzi that are *specific*,

Pete

56984[/snapback]

The rear wheel spacer would be one?

The rear wheel spacer would be one?

56994[/snapback]

OK, I'll clarify. 'CONSUMABLE PARTS'. (In my book seals are a consumable, along with gaskets, filters, fuel, oil and in decending order, rings, valves, bearings etc, etc.)

At the end of the day as long as the machine has a decent parts supply and the owner is willing to rebuild EVERYTHING is a consumable. Even down to wheel spacers :D ! Everything will eventually wear out!!!

One of the reasons I so love my old Tonti's is that you can ALWAYS et parts. At the moment there is only one new cam follower in Oz. Italy has just closed for the summer but I managed to get a set for a bike I'm rebuilding from Rick and Gordon, (I got Gordon (I think.) in the shop at 10:15 PM and he was still willing to help me out, How good is that!?). OK so I had to phone another nutter in a continent half a world away but they WERE available! Try that with your 1993 Suzuki Intruder!!!!

Pete

PS. Rick and Gordon are MG Cycles in Frecklepork, Wisconsin. Top blokes, give 'em your money!!!

'CONSUMABLE PARTS'

I'll clarify... seals are a consumable,

along with gaskets, filters, fuel, oil and in decending order, rings, valves, bearings etc, etc.

56995[/snapback]

:food:

I think I could eat a seal, but I'd have to be real hungry to swallow all that other stuff. I'll go with your order though. Gaskets might just be possible.