Upgrading Marzocchi forks

big J

I know that there are several threads on Marz forks, so rather than post in a few, I'll put this up and let the forum gods attach it where they will.

Spoke to richard at Maxton Suspension again today, on a possible upgrade to the Marz forks on my 02 sport.

He can strip them, rebuild the internals with the Maxton units, then reassemble. This will provide preload and rebound damping adjustment in both fork legs, rather than the one leg comp, one leg rebound of the stock set up.

Spring rate to suit rider weight and intended use.

He is unable to put a compression damping adjustment in due to the design, but reckons that it's a bit unnecessary on a road bike anyway

I asked him about drilling and tapping the sliders for drain plugs, and he replied that he'd look into it, but from memory it wouldn't be feasible. In his opinion, it's better to dismantle anyway to check bush condition,etc.

Price would be around £340+vat.

It's another option rather than the expense of Ohlins, anyway.

For those of you in the colonies, Maxton are a very highly respected company who do the suspension for a lot of riders at the TT, Irish road racing, etc.

www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk

That's about the same strategy and same cost as Traxxion Dynamics did for me over here, across the pond.

56854[/snapback]

I left the Goose with Mike @ Traxxion Dynamics last week for a complete suspension cleaning, tweaking, etc....along with putting a heavier spring on the rear Sachs, they were going to dive into the forks, setting the bike up more to my weight (a svelte 230 lbs) & riding style (moderately awful).

In any case, with the bike at their shop they got some good baseline data; hopefully it will be a help for those that wish Traxxion to perform similar work on their V11's suspenders.

Hope to get home in time to pick up the bike Friday - I'll give a report once I've put some seat time on the bike with the new settings.

If the improvements are similar to what I've experienced on other bikes that were properly set up, it should be money well spent.

On another note: For those that question the quality of the Sachs unit, please keep in mind that MV Agusta uses them on some of their bikes. And we all know how MV builds bikes to hit a price point. :grin:

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 MG Le Mans

On another note: For those that question the quality of the Sachs unit, please keep in mind that MV Agusta uses them on some of their bikes. And we all know how MV builds bikes to hit a price point.  :grin:

56861[/snapback]

They do have potential.

I am much happier with mine, now that I have a 475# spring.

This allowed me to back off on both the excessive preload that was causing topping out, and the compression damping that was making the ride too rough.

I am sure that re-engineered by experts, it could be made much better, as can the Marzocchi forks.

Do you find there's a noticeable improvement over stock?

56855[/snapback]

I noticed a significant difference, but that was becasue my compression damper was totally shot. Any significant bump made the forks top out, and that was UGLY.

I had Mike do my VFR with F3 internals and new springs, and my 900RR with a revalve and springs. Both also got the penske shock treatment. I'd have to say that each bike he's done has come back feeling like a new machine.

I have the Penske for the V-11 as well, but haven't put it on yet. I'll post up here once that part is done.