engine case replacement

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

I wanted to inquire how many people had the engine case swap done and how long of a wait it was from putting in the claim and getting the work done. I've been waitng 2 yrs to the date for the cases.

The dealer, Moto italiano, teels me the cases were chipped and needed to be sent back and that there is paper work snafu with MGNA. MGNA tells me the cases were sent out in July of last year and not recieved back and that the dealer has been paid for the work already.

The store manager, Ron, tells me "he's working on it". Spoke to the regional manager, Mr Arechiga at Laguna during the the GP races who gave me his card and told me call and write, which I did, no response.

I believe Al had the work done and was wondering if anyone else had it done by M.I. or is on the "wait list"? Any one else dealt with these issues? I contacted the consumer advocacy group, Seven on your Side, and guess I'll try the BBB. I'm fed up.

I wanted to inquire how many people had the engine case swap done and how long of a wait it was from putting in the claim and getting the work done. I've been waitng 2 yrs to the date for the cases.

The dealer, Moto italiano, teels me the cases were chipped and needed to be sent back and that there is paper work snafu with MGNA. MGNA tells me the cases were sent out  in July of last year and not recieved back and that the dealer has been paid for the work already.

The store manager, Ron, tells me "he's working on it".  Spoke to the regional manager, Mr Arechiga at Laguna during the the GP races who gave me his card and told me call and write, which I did, no response. 

I believe Al had the work done and was wondering if anyone else had it done by M.I. or is on the "wait list"? Any one else dealt with these issues? I contacted the consumer advocacy group,  Seven on your Side, and guess I'll try the BBB. I'm fed up.

56896[/snapback]

Hi Call,

I had mine done over the winter season at the Danish importer's free of charge. They sand/glass blasted the cases and repainted them, that's all.

I cannot really see why it has to take more than two years?? It doen't make sense to me. Why can't they just blast te cases like they did to mine?

Søren

Hey, if you want to give me a call, drop me a PM.

At this point, the only thing I am willing to say about MI is "no comment"

I did have my cases replaced, and I initially had the same experience as you did. My first set of cases were chipped and broken as shipped from MG. So MI sent them back, and I waited another month or three. I had no warantee "approval" SNAFUs, etc, and I have to say that this part of the process ran very smoothly.

However, we all know that following the actual start of the case swap in December of 2004, I did not get the bike back until May? of 2005 due to the bike mysteriously refusing to run after reassembly. In then end it turned out to be a cam angle sensor, which IMHO, should have been caught right away, especially since we actually discussed that issue some months prior when the problem first started.

But to your issue, who knows :huh2: MI moved from San Mateo to San Jose at the start of the year, and MGNA has been stirred up again with this new Piaggio acquisition.... so who knows what confusion reigns :(

Sorry to hear this isn't going so well for you.

al

I'm still on "the list" according to MGNA. Been waiting for 8 months...so not as long as some of you, but still completely unacceptable. it took 3 months to officially get on the list. :( What stinks is that my warranty will be up by the time they actually get to me....can't say I'm enthusiastic about have a completely rebuilt engine with no warranty. Anyone heard of MGNA extending the warranty on the engine alone? or is this is the "ya right" arena?

I chose the 'free gear' option and after waiting more than a year took the matter into my own hands and dealt with MGNA directly.

I asked about every 3-4 months at my dealer (Moto Italiano) as the the status and they 'checked with Moto Guzzi' and said it was in the works. When I finally contacted MGNA myself I quite easily found out that they hadn't filed the papers correctly and was able to fix the problem.

I wouldn't recommend counting on them to stay on top of it. They don't make any money doing case swaps and don't seem to have much interest doing work that doesn't immediately benefit them.

That's my :2c:

John Koester

Guest callithrix

I dealt with MGNA initially and got some answers but not much lately. MGNA says the lack of follow through rests with Moto Italiano and vice versa. I know that I never receive a call back from Ron when he says he will. As far as the dealer not making any $ on the swap work, in my case it's pure profit because they've already been paid and haven't done the work; I wonder if that explains the lack of action. <_<

Moto Italiano = "no comment"

Ron @ MI = "no comment" x 2

...read what you will into that :whistle:

al

P.S.

OK, "some" comments :P In the end, I was mostly satisfied with MI's results, and I do think the ownership honestly wanted and tried to do the right thing to get my issues sorted. And again, in the end, I did receive a working and seemingly well sorted bike. So I can't complain there. But the "process" and duration of the work was a real sore spot, and there was(is?) a lot of room for improvement on that point.

Guest putt-meister

I wrote out some comments about my experiences with Moto Italiano but erased it after I read what I had said. I think I will leave it at that.

My condolences in your nearly hopeless situation.

Guest Rich Fernandez

I too am waiting on cases. I noticed the problem this spring and did the paper work immediately. I just got off the phone with a MG dealer, not where I purchased the Scura, but a person I prefer working with because he is closer than Phoenix and I've always been satisfied with his work. In any case, he told me that I am ninth on the list, whatever that means. I also asked that he inquire about the 'vapor lock' problem. I said that I would be willing to trade tanks for one that has the fuel pump inside for a reasonable cost. As yet I have not heard about this. I have been stuck a number of times for several hours until the bike has cooled enough to ride again. I should add that I live at 7,000 ft. (Flagstaff, Az) and my rides take me to altitudes much lower and hotter. Because of the latter problem long trips are out of the question for now. Love the bike, hate the problems. :):angry:

From the time I filed the claim until the time the work was completed, the process took just a touch over one year. I had the work done locally in the L.A. area, and was very satisfied with the result. The bike seems better sorted than when it was put together in Italy.

Guest davidb

It took 7 months to get my two jackets for the blistered paint, I sold the bike today and will sleep good tonight, The dealer and mgna support was shit, No return calls etc.

Guest davidb

After 2 main seal replacements taking 10 weeks in the shop, and a timing cover gasket replacement, it ran good besides the high speed head shake. It was fun to ride, but I needed RELIABLE transportation and a bike that I could feel confident to take out of state and back with dealer support in case something broke or vibrated off. MG doesnt have that. If I could have kept it for just mountain carving up here, I would have.