Hose Between Remote Reservior and Master Cylinder

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

I was looking to replace the hoses between the remote reserviors and master cylinders. Is there anything special about it or can I use clear Tygon Hose? We have a ton of it at work.

Anyone happen to know the OD and ID of the hose.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe (but I'm not certain) tygon will swell and get 'slick'. If it does this, it will pop off the inlet. Use line approved for brake fluid.

That said- soak some tygon in a thimble full of brake fluid. If it remains clear and soft, then it should be fine. As I recall, it's very resistant to acid/base alcohols (ethanol) and ketones (acetone), but chlorinated hydrocarbons will really do a number on it. Alcohols/ketones will soften it, but not degrade it and this softening might be enough to let it slip off the nipple. Tygon is mostly used for water. Sorry about going on- I use a lot of tygon as well. And I've had a couple glasses of red wine (Californian, not Italian...sorry)

Guest MikeC
I believe (but I'm not certain) tygon will swell and get 'slick'.  If it does this, it will pop off the inlet.  Use line approved for brake fluid. 

That said- soak some tygon in a thimble full of brake fluid.  If it remains clear and soft, then it should be fine.  As I recall, it's very resistant to acid/base alcohols (ethanol) and ketones (acetone), but chlorinated hydrocarbons will really do a number on it.  Alcohols/ketones will soften it, but not degrade it and this softening might be enough to let it slip off the nipple.  Tygon is mostly used for water.  Sorry about going on- I use a lot of tygon as well.  And I've had a couple glasses of red wine (Californian, not Italian...sorry)

57219[/snapback]

JRT...Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the approved hose at my local auto parts store. No point in screwing around.

Mike

JRT...Thanks for the reply.  I'll look for the approved hose at my local auto parts store.  No point in screwing around.

Mike

57226[/snapback]

Check with Speedbleeder. These are great guys and have translucent silicone hose that is not affected by brake fluid . . . 30" for three bucks. You can use the left over for bleeding your brakes. BTW, those Speedbleeder nipples are the cat's meow.

JRT...Thanks for the reply.  I'll look for the approved hose at my local auto parts store.  No point in screwing around.

Mike

57226[/snapback]

I think once JRT sobbers up, he'll tell you the Tygon is fine.

After an extensive google search, the only thing better than Tygon for this job is silicone, (what orangeokie suggested)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!!!

(well technically a steel braided teflon lined hose would be better, but overkill, and possibly not flexible enough)

FWIW Brake fluid specified for our bike is glycol based. And if I understand correctly, glycol is based on alcohol, and it has the ability to dissolve oils, and urethane paint. So, urethane hoses would probably not be a good idea.

Does brake fluid have chlorinated hydocarbons in it???

I don't think so, but it may be reason enough to exclude the Tygon, even though many people use it for brake fluid?????? :huh2:

Guest MikeC
Check with Speedbleeder.  These are great guys and have translucent silicone hose that is not affected by brake fluid . . . 30" for three bucks.  You can use the left over for bleeding your brakes.  BTW, those Speedbleeder nipples are the cat's meow.

57239[/snapback]

Which speedbleeder is for our bikes. I assume you changed over the clutch as well.

BTW...How did you or anyone else get access to the clutch bleeder. Any tricks?

Mike

Which speedbleeder is for our bikes.  I assume you changed over the clutch as well.

BTW...How did you or anyone else get access to the clutch bleeder.  Any tricks?

Mike

57251[/snapback]

Measure the hex head size on your current bleeders then email those measurements to : speedbleeder@earthlink.net

They will tell you which speedbleeders you need.

Actually, they might know now, but were totally confused when we went through this exercise last year.... and after a couple "returns" to Speedbleeder.

Do a search on "speedbleeder" and you'll find a couple threads, and one of them has our "final results" on the sizes that fit the calipers and clutch slave.

al

For the speedbleeders- you can also check out ebay. Someone sells them there, and I thought they had the sizes listed.

For the tygon- I don't think chlorinated hydrocarbons are used in brake fluid. In fact, halogenated HC's in general are used being less and less, because they often contribute to global warming. Freon 12 (or was it 18?) was one of the offensive ones that's virtually unused in the states anymore.

If brake fluid is really just a poly-alcohol (a glycol), then tygon should be fine for that use. But, as cheap as 'approved' tubing is, why take the chance? I think some of the brake fluids are silicone based as well, but I don't think those are used in the V11.

Tygon will also break down quickly in the presence of ozone, so it is contra-indicated for you Southern California types.

Dot 3 and Dot 4 are gycol based but Dot 5 is silicone based. Not compatable!!!! But some manufacturers have been selling Dot 5.1 (I think) that is gycol based) just to really confuse the matter. To my knowledge only HD has used Dot 5 in its mototrcycles.

And yes Freon R-12 was replaced by R-134a for automotive use.