Oil Filter Cross Reference

bigbikerrick

Do any of you folks know of any oil filters that will fit our bikes that are of good quality and readily available at Wal Mart, checkers, NAPA, ETC? I live in a rural area of Arizona and even our Auto Zone doesnt carry the SMO 22 filter. I did a forum search and found cross references for fuel filters, but not for oil filters. Thanks.

Do any of you folks know of any oil filters that will fit our bikes that are of good quality and readily available at Wal Mart, checkers, NAPA, ETC? I live in a rural area of Arizona and even our Auto Zone doesnt carry the SMO 22 filter. I did a forum search and found cross references for fuel filters, but not for oil filters. Thanks.

57726[/snapback]

:2c:

Pep Boys ["Manny, Moe & Jack don'cha know what I'm after!"] carries Purolator motorcycle oil filters. I don't know if it's just the Long Beach Peps that keeps the Guzzi mc oil filters in stock [there's a much higher percentage of Guzzis in this neighborhood than normal; probably has something to do with MG Classics being right here in town] but if it's at one Pep Boys, you can get your local one to order one (or a case!) up for you.

If your local Peps doesn't keep'em stocked, you might want to coordinate an orchestrated assault between you & your other local Guzzisti, & take turns going in & ordering one/month. If they keep getting requests, the home office may take steps to tell the store to keep a couple on shelf: once that occurs, your group can call off the assault.

Best o' luck! :mg:

Pep Boys ["Manny, Moe & Jack don'cha know what I'm after!"] carries Purolator motorcycle oil filters. I don't know if it's just the Long Beach Peps that keeps the Guzzi mc oil filters in stock [there's a much higher percentage of Guzzis in this neighborhood than normal; probably has something to do with MG Classics being right here in town] but if it's at one Pep Boys, you can get your local one to order one (or a case!) up for you.

If your local Peps doesn't keep'em stocked, you might want to coordinate an orchestrated assault between you & your other local Guzzisti, & take turns going in & ordering one/month. If they keep getting requests, the home office may take steps to tell the store to keep a couple on shelf: once that occurs, your group can call off the assault.

Best o' luck! :mg:

57735[/snapback]

Thanks, cool suggestion!

# Fram: PH6022 or PH3614

# Mobil 1: M1-102

# Deutsch: D-364

# STP: S3614

# Bosch: 3330

# Super Tech: ST3614

57741[/snapback]

Thanks, TX Red. I appreciate it, I guess I had it wrong as I thought our bikes used the STP SMO 22, ( I think thats what I put on my rosso mandello a couple of years back, but cant be sure, as I have CRS Syndrome! LOL.) :grin:

Thanks, TX Red. I appreciate it, I guess I had it wrong as I thought our bikes used the STP SMO 22, ( I think thats what I put on my rosso mandello a couple of years back, but cant be sure, as I have CRS Syndrome! LOL.) :grin:

57754[/snapback]

The SMO-22 was listed on one of the forums as a suitable filter... :huh2:

The SMO-22 was listed on one of the forums as a suitable filter... :huh2:

57763[/snapback]

I have no experience with any filters other than the UFI that comes with the bike & the Wal-Mart ST3614. I ran across a site somewhere that had a fliter teardown & the ST3614 was shown to be a well constructed quality filter. Plus all Guzzi riders are cheap, cost at Wal-Mart $1.97

These guys are good to deal with & ship quick & you'll have the comforting feeling that you've used what the factory used http://www.mgcycle.com/oilfilter.html

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, I've been running the WallyWorld SuperTech ST3614 (Champion Labs is the OEM) filters for 14K miles now with no complaints. It should be noted again that since ours is an inside-the-sump application, the ST3614's have a sticker on 'em that has to be removed to prevent it from getting loose in the sump (which it can be expected to do), potentially blocking oil galleries.

BTW - There's evidently a whole lot more to oil filters than price and test results, and arguing the pro & cons of the details can go on forever... In case anyone's interested, there's more on-going debate currently raging on the BOBISTHEOILGUY Forum than any sane human can tolerate on the design & quality of the ST3614 filter. Some of these guys evidently run fleets of vehicles &/or are otherwise in the business of filter changes & should know a thing or 2. It's at least food for thought. You can do a search on ST3614 here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Despite the controversy, I'm using the ST3614 with about as much or more confidence as I've had with any other filter due to the high test rating... -_-

"You'll have the comforting feeling that you've used what the factory used...

Tex, that's one of the best cases of understated humor I have seen in years.......

:thumbsup:

Phil

Atlanta Ga

'02 Le Mans