My New Bike...Crash!

Dr Gil

If you rebuild, then carefully look at the frame.  Carl found that the frame is fairly easy to bend at the head tube, and once that's done- the bike is history (from a financial point of view).

57866[/snapback]

Tank off inspection of spine to include forward engine mounts and close look at lower tripple tree steering stops and damper mount. :luigi:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dave Pott

Damn, Doc :( That just sucks!! Glad you're mostly O.K.

I think I can pretty much picture the spot since I just rode thru there about 9 days ago(on the Jackal) after coming down Hwy 96. I think I noticed that weigh station(if I don't have it mixed up w/another) and slowed down in case of a CHP was there :whistle:

Hope you get it back on the road soon.... I'm hoping to hook up with you there sometime :bike:

I'm not trying to scare you- really- but I bet Carl would post this if he were around- hopefully he is out riding.

Anyway- scroll down to Carl's post (#10) and he details some of the issues he had with a low speed crash:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3292&hl=

I couldn't find his original description, but this sums it up pretty well. Anyway- at least you know what you'll be in for.

J

Dang Dude! But I'm glad the injuries werent more serious. Anyway, as was said of Carl (Allison's) bike, unbeknownst :nerd: to him, his frame was bent. In the Sacramento area there is the "Frameman" (I think that is the name of the company) that specializes in checking frame alignment. I'd recommend that you have someone take the bike there for a check-up.

What probably saved you from much more consequential injury/damage was the nice quiet - and good looking - pipes on the bike. :grin:

G'luck and R'gards. :rasta: Joe

Dang Dude! But I'm glad the injuries werent more serious. Anyway, as was said of Carl (Allison's) bike, unbeknownst  :nerd:  to him, his frame was bent. In the Sacramento area there is the "Frameman" (I think that is the name of the company) that specializes in checking frame alignment. I'd recommend that you have someone take the bike there for a check-up.

What probably saved you from much more consequential injury/damage was the nice quiet - and good looking -  pipes on the bike. 

G'luck and R'gards.  :rasta:  Joe

57937[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip Joe. I'm not sure how the insurance company is going to handle this all.

I'm sure the somewhat less good looking now pipes were a major factor. I had, as you saw rememoved the carbon fibers before the wreck and have them boxed up and will go out tomorrow morning. If they are not suited to your needs I'll be glad to send you back your original set :grin:

Gil

Dang Dude (me again). I just read your accident account. The same thing very nearly happened to me on my Ducati 900 SS/CR....WHAT AN AWAKENING! I nearly shat upon myself, and this was in a parking lot at about 10 MPH :!:

But, regarding the Aerostich...they are repairable, so that might be a cheaper route. Otherwise check some of the BMW rider's forums. Aerostiches are always for sale there.

Joe :rasta:

Thanks to all for the well wishes. :wub:  I'm truly touched.

I checked the sidestand along with the CHP officer while waiting for the tow truck.  Neither of us could find ANY evidence of a sidestand cutoff switch.  Being a newguy to Guzzi's I assumed that they just didn't come on this model.  Believe you me when I rebuild this bad girl WILL have a cutoff switch!  :luigi:

57842[/snapback]

MC sidestands have been a safety "problem child" for a long time! Nowadays we have cutout switches (which being mounted low down & forward, get coated with cr@p thrown up by the front wheel and start malfunctioning), but look at all the other options that have been tried: Ducati's infamous "suicidal" self-retracting spring-loaded sidestand (that led to insurance premiums being absurdly high because of all the parking lot "tipovers" where the bike would spontaneously topple over & trash the left side...); rubber-tipped sidestands a la' my old Honda G'wing, that *do* "fold up" under that 1st left-hander, but boy does that hop throw you!; I dunno how Harley deals with their sidestand, which is recognized as a super bit of motorcycle holdin-up engineering, but I'd sure hate to ground that down hard at speed!

What works best? Centerstands! Can't drive off w/ them down, they don't sink into soft asphault the way sidestands do, and they make it so you can work on your bike w/ a garage full o' kit. Pity nobody seems to consider them standard equipment anymore... :wacko:

Best o' luck on your physical, mental & motorcycle recovery!

:mg:

Guest Steve_W
What works best? Centerstands! Can't drive off w/ them down, they don't sink into soft asphault the way sidestands do...

Don't sink into asphalt? They sure do! I've had at least two bikes with centerstands sink into asphalt, and one of them fell over because one leg of the stand sank farther than the other.

That said, I agree that every bike should have a centerstand.

We're getting off track here but one issue I have with the LM sidestand is it's so far forward when deployed I can't see the thing and I can well understand forgetting what is out of sight.

And on checking the frame CompuTrack is another source that specializes in that work.

What works best? Centerstands! Can't drive off w/ them down, they don't sink into soft asphault the way sidestands do...

Don't sink into asphalt? They sure do! I've had at least two bikes with centerstands sink into asphalt, and one of them fell over because one leg of the stand sank farther than the other.

That said, I agree that every bike should have a centerstand.

57973[/snapback]

Centerstand = 2x support area sidestand has. Sure they'll still sink into hot asphault; they just don't do it as much as sidestands do. [Must....not... be... snide... ;) ]

TXRider made an excellent point about the MG sidestand being so far forward (awkward to deploy/retract) and out of sight (easily overlooked.) Is there a reasonable solution? I know somebody makes a ctr-stand, but the inevitable issues of weight & ground clearance come up. Sidestands *are* easy, but would using the exhaust system for mounting* be a better way?

Just throwing out an idea...

:bike:

* - Many bikes exhaust systems are actually used for lift points now.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Gil. A very reputable Guzzi mechanic once disconnected my sidestand switch in order to prevent a possible future starting problem, and I immediately had him reconnect it. I can be as absentminded as the next old guy, and didn't want to take the chance of a similar mishap.

I went out to the garage this afternoon to look at the Le Mans for the first time since we brought it home from the crash. My brother-in-law Daniel Kalal emailed me to ask about how the battery had fared in the crash and that I probably really didn't want it leaking all over my electronics. His gentle prodding helped snap me out of the funk I've been in since the crash and I figured it was high time for me to face the music. :(

The good news is that the bike isn't as bad off as I had originally thought. Sure it's a mess. ALL the plastics are trashed. My recently acquired stock exhausts are totally beat up. The left hand clipon is bent 90 degrees, etc. But all the damage that I can see is just "take off the damaged part and bolt on new stuff” sort of repair. And with the exception of the plastics the damage is only on the left side. The seat will have to go back to Rich Maund for repair (it was my first ride on his new seat and it's one of the things I feel the worse about). Of course I will still need someone more knowledgeable than I to look at the engine (the left cylinder hit pretty hard and banged up the valve cover and destroyed the guard), the forks (look unscathed) and mostly I worry about the frame. But I have my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.

Tomorrow I contact my insurance guys and find out how to proceed and what they are willing to do. That should be ugly :glare:

I’ll post more of this ongoing soap opera as it occurs.

I went out to the garage this afternoon to look at the Le Mans for the first time since we brought it home from the crash.  My brother-in-law Daniel Kalal emailed me to ask about how the battery had fared in the crash and that I probably really didn't want it leaking all over my electronics.  His gentle prodding helped snap me out of the funk I've been in since the crash and I figured it was high time for me to face the music.  :(

57997[/snapback]

As likely do all of us who have visited the McAdam family, I know exactly what you mean about the "funk."

Glad to see you have a great attitude, especially under these painful to the body, mind, soul, and checkbook circumstances.

Best wishes on a full recovery, a process that, I suspect, is helped by visits and posts here.

Regards from Atlanta,

Bill

P.S. OBTW, one could do worse than Sig. Kalal as a b-i-l, tho that may smack of damning with faint praise. :D Seriously, really appreciate his detailed trip reports on wildguzzi.

....Tomorrow I contact my insurance guys and find out how to proceed and what they are willing to do. ...

Dr Gil,

Even if it looks good - strip it & have frame, s/a, wheels, forks/triple clamps, motor/trans mounts etc checked before insurance settlement. As Carl found, things can look fine but the only way to be sure is to pull it apart. I crashed R80GS, hit the r/h head hard, insurance paid for bits I could see damaged, but wasn't till I came to refit s/a that I found knock on motor must've twisted the frame.

Some frame straighteners can do job with motor etc in situ, just removing front end to access headstock.

If it didn't hit anything & didn't flip, hopefully it'll just be cosmetic....

KB :sun:

The left hand clipon is bent 90 degrees, etc.  But all the damage that I can see is just "take off the damaged part and bolt on new stuff” sort of repair.

57997[/snapback]

Doc, If the bar is bent that far, I will bet you damaged the lower tripple tree steering stop lug and stering damper, at a minimum. :2c: