polishing v 11 pipes

bigbikerrick

The exhaust pipes(not the muffler cans) on my 03 v 11 have some stains/ discolorationI assume they are made from stainless steel with some bronze colored coating, but not sure .I am not sure what caused the discoloration, possibly water from the road ,when they are hot?? what is recommended for polishing these pipes, any recommendations/products appreciated. Ive only owned this Guzzi a couple of weeks,and find myself going out to the garage at least every couple of hours just to stare and admire the lines! :)

I used Scotchbrite 3" wheels wet with Simichrome polish and chucked in a drill motor to get the pipes like new. The bronze color and other discoloration is just the way stainless steel oxidizes. The finished result is bright metallic which turns to bronze again after a bit of running.

And you're not alone in going to the garage to sit with a beer and admiring the LM.

Guest ratchethack

The preferred finish on pipes seems to be a very subjective thing. I happen to prefer the stock "natural" brushed stainless steel finish, which mellows into a uniform honey tone with a bluish caste when in a good state of tune. To me, it's understated, it's "low bling", and it just looks right on the Guzzi. I guess I think of it the same way I do the color case-hardened finish on the frame of a classic single-action six-shooter. :wub: The occasional "impregnated" road stain can be fairly easily rubbed out with scotch-brite pads and a little Simple Green by carefully rubbing with the counter-axis "grain" of the brushed finish. Though this removes the honey-blue patina along with the stain, the next ride up to full operating temp nicely restores that uniform "natural" color without a trace of the stain. Of the many finishes I've had (and still have) on pipes of other bikes, I find this to be the lowest-maintenance and by far the most durable.

Many seem to think the natural "discoloration" of the pipes is just plain ugly. I've seen guys ceramic-coat, highly polish, and otherwise go for a totally different look, in pursuit of I-dunno-what? :huh2: I've also seen some particularly repulsive butchery, as guys have evidently ignored the "grain" of the stock brushed finish. If you go after these pipes with polish containing abrasives and you aren't very careful to rub with the "grain", the resulting mess just looks awful IMHO. :bbblll:

The preferred finish on pipes seems to be a very subjective thing.  I happen to prefer the stock "natural" brushed stainless steel finish, which mellows into a uniform honey tone with a bluish caste when in a good state of tune.  To me, it's understated, it's "low bling", and it just looks right on the Guzzi.  I guess I think of it the same way I do the color case-hardened finish on the frame of a classic single-action six-shooter. :wub:   The occasional "impregnated" road stain can be fairly easily rubbed out with scotch-brite pads and a little Simple Green by carefully rubbing with the counter-axis "grain" of the brushed finish.  Though this removes the honey-blue patina along with the stain, the next ride up to full operating temp nicely restores that uniform "natural" color without a trace of the stain.  Of the many finishes I've had (and still have) on pipes of other bikes, I find this to be the lowest-maintenance and by far the most durable. 

Many seem to think the natural "discoloration" of the pipes is just plain ugly.  I've seen guys ceramic-coat, highly polish, and otherwise go for a totally different look, in pursuit of I-dunno-what? :huh2:   I've also seen some particularly repulsive butchery, as guys have evidently ignored the "grain" of the stock brushed finish.  If you go after these pipes with polish containing abrasives and you aren't very careful to rub with the "grain", the resulting mess just looks awful IMHO. :bbblll:

57891[/snapback]

Good point- go around the pipe, not along it. A little more work but worth it and makes the pipe as new rather than cobbled up.

The exhaust pipes(not the muffler cans) on my 03 v 11 have some stains/ discolorationI assume they are made from stainless steel with some bronze colored coating, but not sure .I am not sure what caused the discoloration, possibly water from the road ,when they are hot?? what is recommended for polishing these pipes, any  recommendations/products appreciated. Ive only owned this Guzzi a couple of weeks,and find myself going out to the garage at least every couple of hours just to stare and admire the lines! :)

57880[/snapback]

Thanks, Folks for the prompt,and informative replies Im going to remove the pipes and spend some "quality time" with my baby polishing the pipes, I have some wenol metal polish that im going to try also, its good stuff, made in Germany. Im also going to look for the autosol you folks recommend. Cheers! :luigi:

The preferred finish on pipes seems to be a very subjective thing.  I happen to prefer the stock "natural" brushed stainless steel finish, which mellows into a uniform honey tone with a bluish caste when in a good state of tune.  To me, it's understated, it's "low bling", and it just looks right on the Guzzi.  I guess I think of it the same way I do the color case-hardened finish on the frame of a classic single-action six-shooter.

I agree 100% ratchet.

If you start polishing them it will never end. Think of it as a patina. If it bothers you and your going to remove the headers for polishing, send them out for a proper ceramic coating of your choice. HPC does a great job. HPC Coatings

Mike

Guest rosso mandello

Hi there, I like it polished. I had it done by an old man who uses the old fashion way, fine sanding and polishing. I keep it up with regular polish, no big deal.

The yellow colour comes vith the heath.

ciao mogens

I used Scotchbrite 3" wheels wet with Simichrome polish and chucked in a drill motor to get the pipes like new. 

57888[/snapback]

I agree with this method, as my pipes were getting stained/discolored and I used the Simichrome and applied with a Scotchbrite pad and the pipes kept the satin finish and took all the ugly stuff off (I'm sure this added at least $500 to the value of my bike :grin: )

Hi there, I like it polished. I had it done by an old man who uses the old fashion way, fine sanding and polishing. I keep it up with regular polish, no big deal.

The yellow colour comes vith the heath.

ciao mogens

57975[/snapback]

...and they look damned fine those pipes; I've seen them in real and we're talking spitshine polish! Check for yourselves here:

Ciao

Søren