Pete Roper's helmet

belfastguzzi

As we know, possums, the old designs are hard to improve upon. Often they were actually more advanced than the jappocrappa 'puter-designed plastikified namby-pampy good for 6 months then trash it gear that today's fashion victims are suckered into purchasing. Take my granda's old helmet – I still use it every day and it's as fit for purpose as the day it was hammered into existence.

IN FACT: it's even more useful today than it was way back then, what with modern traffic conditions. With the nifty side windows, I can actually look out to the righty or the lefty as I'm filtering through the traffic lanes and see exactly what space I've got, or indeed have a chat with neighbouring drivers.

Why has modern head gear neglected these features – and sacrificed both safety and sociability to tunnel vision need-for-speed modernity?

helmet1.jpg

If it was good enough for Ned Kelly, it's good enough for me – as my oul granny always said.

boots.jpgGranny's dirt-track boots. Nice. Pity they're too small for me.

yours,

Protected Pete

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding! Finally there's a "heavy weather" suit that makes complete sense! Now I know where that pesky "breather hose" needs to go - Just couple it up to the inlet connector on the old salvage diver helmet and it solves 2 problems at once! Probably inspire some interesting psychotropic "visions" as a result! And at night, you could have some great fireworks with those "hot shoe" boots sliding around curves flat-track style too... :P Upshifts could be a bit of a challenge though. :huh:

Say Belfast, what's your local whisky?

Say Belfast, what's your local whisky?

58297[/snapback]

I don't worry about the brand name, I buy whatever they have in bulk supply at the same place I got my ex-German Navy Dispatch Rider outfit. The current label says something like, 'Sauerkraut'nvinegar – EP140'. It's best in a small glass with lots of water.

Guest ratchethack

Whooooooaaaa there Belfast... Back up the barley wagon just a minute here! I was willing to buy everything you said in this thread - then I thought, Yeah, right. An Irishman recommending water in whisky (even some bizarre industrial grade swill)... That's when I knew you were feedin' us blarney! :lol:

:grin: Actually you blokes don't know how far off the mark you are, but that's OK. I actually ride in a suit of medieval armour with a chain-mail codpiece and back protector combination. It works very well, even though it is a bit itchy in hot weather and my ballet tu-tu tends to ride up if the Convert gets over 30 MPH :huh2: What's a bloke to do???? :bier:

Pete

... though it is a bit itchy in hot weather

Pete

58523[/snapback]

Well, that's the beauty of the other suit. When things get a bit hot (and, er, itchy) you just bail off the first pier that you come to and enjoy a spot of underwater coolin' and chillin'. Then it's back to the surface, fresh as a spring daisy.

That's how the 'progressive' helmet developed from Ned's original design, after things went a bit pear-shaped in his prototype and he overheated. Take care.

At least with 'version 2', even if you can't find a lake or sea in time, you can open a window. As Baldini said, 'Move on'. You'll like the difference.